AOWs and Class III goodness

This is a discussion on AOWs and Class III goodness within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been talking to a local guy here in Middle TN about getting a Remington 870 AOW registered short barrel shotgun... like this one: I ...

I've been talking to a local guy here in Middle TN about getting a Remington 870 AOW registered short barrel shotgun...
    like this one:

I got to meet him Saturday to test fire his personal setup, I was worried about recoil, controllability for follow up shots, etc.
    He is a full class III dealer...and he showed up with one of his full auto 9mm ARs as well
    The fire and I got to take a go with the AR and the shortie 870...NICE. She wasn't dressed for range time..she ended up doing the brass dance but never once did she handle the AR improperly..I was so proud :-)

Now the AOW is next on my list...as well as dropping everything at another chance to go full auto ESPECIALLY when someone else is supplying the ammo
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    my experience has been that any time you have an opportunity to shoot a machine gun, you'd better take it, because it's always a ton of fun.

Good luck with your SBS purchase. Those (along with some full auto goodness) are on my list for way-in-the-future purchases. In the meantime I have to make do with playing with other people's toys.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Actually, the above is considered an AOW and is only a $5 tax stamp.

An SBS has a full size stock.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by utarch00 View Post
    Actually, the above is considered an AOW and is only a $5 tax stamp.

An SBS has a full size stock.
    thx for clarifying.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Assistant Administrator
    I know we have discussed before re AOW's ....... but can anyone remind me of the sequence involved?

Does the proposed AOW have to be fully dimensioned and specified in a description first? Then what follows? I am assuming the tax stamp application obviously must precede ownership!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Is a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) a AOW or is in a class by itself?

Would it be a $200 SBR taxstamp or the $5 AOW (Any Other Weapon)?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JD
    Administrator
    Check out this post: http://www.pafoa.org/forum/62229-post-1.html It's got the details.

An AOW is smooth bore w/ pistol grip and can not have a stock attached. SBR is either a rifle or shotgun with stock.

SBR and AOW are two different categories.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks JD,

I've wanted a SBR (Vector Arms Uzi) for a long time. It is one of the things I want to buy after I win the Lotto!
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Assistant Administrator
    John - many thx for the PAFOA post URL - good source of info.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Full auto is fun. I got to shoot a Reising .45 ACP carbine a few times. No thanks on the pistol grip shotgun, tried on once, not for me. I would break a tooth forgetting it doesn't have a stock.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That stock on the 870 is not what I would call a pistol grip, more like a baseball bat grip!! I wouldn't want to shoot it, now I do have a couple shotguns with pistol grips and they are quite shootable, just not a all day range gun!!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    That stock on the 870 is not what I would call a pistol grip, more like a baseball bat grip!! I wouldn't want to shoot it, now I do have a couple shotguns with pistol grips and they are quite shootable, just not a all day range gun!!!
    Actually this grip is nicer and easiler to shoot then a pistol grip, IMHO. It allows the weapon to rock with the recoil, instead of being pushed with the pistol grip.

The recoil was no where NEAR what I thought it was going to be. The one I'm going to order is going to have a "speedfeed" stock on it (whatever that means) and the strap on the pump hardware; along with the proper sidesaddle.
    I didn't know the SN HAD to show at all times on an AOW. They make a version of the sidesaddle that leaves the SN exposed.

The company I'm dealing with is going to write a letter to the AG here in TN and TRY to get a legal opinion to clarify their position in the gun food chain. In TN and I think on the ATF paperwork they are classified as a pistol...so we SHOULD be able to carry them concealed...or at least in the vehicle. It would make one HECK of a truck gun
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

If it is infact a pistol then we can carry it open also.

Frank has great toys.

Senior Moderator
    I dont think the pistol gripped shotguns are all they're cracked up be.

I still think a fullstocked shortbarrelled shotgun is much quicker to get on target, more natural and a whole lot easier on you when you do shoot it.

I've actually qualified with both on the Police quals and much prefer the SBS.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links