Hardly necessary reminder

This is a discussion on Hardly necessary reminder within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Local buddy went to range yesterday - pulled his carry gun to shoot off what was in it ....... ''bang'' .......... and that was it!!! ...

Thread: Hardly necessary reminder

Assistant Administrator

Hardly necessary reminder

Local buddy went to range yesterday - pulled his carry gun to shoot off what was in it ....... ''bang'' .......... and that was it!!! He uses a 228.

Problem? - about one of the simplest - he had been carrying for several days with the mag not quite fully engaged. So - the one in the pipe - yep - went 'bang' ...... but next round was too low for pick-up! Oops.

So - moral is (obviously) smack that mag base until fully home and engaged onto release ... and thus secure. It's something I do very consciously but - this sure made him think of what consequences might have been - had he been unlucky enough to need the gun ''in extremis''.

So - seat that mag ... today's mantra
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I think that 228 needs repaired. Let me know if your friend has lost confidence in the 228, I'll be happy to buy it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    I think that 228 needs repaired.
    Hahaha - nope - it is he who needs repaired LOL ....... and this was I think a salutary experience!!!
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Good lesson. It's like the time I dropped my gun and didn't realize that the gun had malfunctioned and the slide had been pushed back under the thumb safety and was held there out of battery.

I went all day, carrying a gun that was useless.

When I got it home and took it out of the holster to put it away, I saw the problem. I needed two hands and almost all of my weight to free the slide from the under the thumb safety. It was NOT an easy fix.

Needless to say my gun went to the smith as soon as possible and I learned to check my weapons EVERY time before I holstered them.

Had I needed my gun that day it would have been best to throw it at the perp, that was all it was good for.

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - daily inspection is useful - to say least!

It is oh-so-easy to reholster every day and assume all is well ........ this tho was a good reminder to me ... as I know I can easily assume too much as I reholster each morning.

Check, check and double check ..... has to be worthwhile.
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    I once carried a Feg 63, a Walther PKP clone, an 8 shot .380. It was small and easy to carry.

I shot several mags with it and one bullet to go and the gun "clicked" on it. I ejected the bullet, refed it and the gun clicked again. I did this several more times. I figured it was a dud and never gave it much thought till about a month later when I went to put a few more mags through it.

When I squeezed off I kept getting clicks instead of bangs. I walked over to my shop and stripped the thing to parade rest. Guess what I found? The firing pin was broken in two. The click I was hearing was the hammer falling and hitting the pin, but it was broke and didnt have enough force to set off the primer.

It dawned on me that I had been carrying that thing for a solid month with a broken firing pin.
    Had I needed it, my wife and kids would have lived rather nicely on my insurance policy.

I ordered a new pin and replaced it. That gun has been sitting in the safe ever since.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Any man made device can fail, even my trusty rusty revolver.

Daily Inspection is paramount. This is also another reason why I advocate carrying a second or third gun.

Biker

This is a good reminder for all of us, there are so many things that can go wrong you really should double check everything, everyday before heading out. I have a kind of ritual when I put everything on, that I check different items for function and the mag being seated is one of them.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Tug on the mag too

A good smack to the mag is the first move but you can also then tug on the bottom of the mag to mag sure the smack was good 'nuff.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    This is a good reminder for all of us, there are so many things that can go wrong you really should double check everything, everyday before heading out. I have a kind of ritual when I put everything on, that I check different items for function and the mag being seated is one of them.
    \

+1! I get so many good insights and helpful info from this forum.

In time of need, that would be the loudest "click" you ever heard. And quite possibly the last thing you ever heard.

Unfortunately, we sometimes have to rely on a tool to save our life. It is encumbant on US to make sure the tool we use WORKS!

Thankfully, for me, serving in the military trained me to be almost anal with performing equipment checks prior to going into harms way.

Some people think I'm just anal in that regards. I just think it's being prudent. The same goes with the tools I use in my job as a paramedic. When peoples lives are on the line, you have to know the equipment is going to work!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Good reminder. I had a student a few weeks ago that was having just that problem with his Sig. He just wasn't pressing the magazine hard enough to get the proper click into place. He thought he was having some kind of mis-fire problem until I took a look and found out what was causing this. It always pays to check often.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Links