Defensive Carry banner

I NEVER PUT OIL Or Grease On My Guns!

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  AirForceShooter 
#1 ·
LET'S JUST SAY THAT IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE WE MIGHT NOT HAVE TO EVER PUT Oil Or Put Grease On Them At All. Read The Story.

Monday, May 23, 2005

A Stuart company's "Greaseless Gun" is going global, under an exclusive deal with gun giant Colt Defense LLC.

Universal Chemical Technologies Inc., an upstart metal-finishing company, developed the 3-year-old greaseless technology, a coating patented in September that eliminates the need for liquid lubricants in guns.

Colt first tapped the Treasure Coast firm last year, using its coatings in rifles supplied to U.S. military troops. West Hartford, Conn.-based Colt now plans to use the technology in the development of all of its weapons, including those for law enforcement and commercial sales.

"They see now the global opportunity," said Thomas Dyer, president of Universal Chemical, which has 42 employees. "We're delighted to be partnered with a brand like Colt, which has such history."

Colt Defense — a descendant of the company built by Samuel Colt in the early 1800s whose famed Colt revolver is credited for how the West was won — said the coatings could change the way weapons, from pistols to machine guns, are built and maintained.

"UCT's innovative thinking and applied technology will allow us to introduce a new generation of easily maintained weapons for all elements of the small-arms market," Colt President William Keys said in a statement.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here you see the arch (aged) skeptic - I'd need proof in huge proportions before I'd accept it as fact! The word ''coating'' is used - and that to me is less impressive than some sorta ''impregnated'' technology.

Remember the old style brass/bronze bearings (Olio??) - that had inbuilt micro lube inclusions? That would make sense as a system.

Nice concept tho.

#3 ·
It's interesting that Colt tested the process by sending it off to war over in (I'm Guessing) "The Sandbox" & Colt still thinks enough of it to continue with the process for military & LEO & commercial use. They must be pretty impressed!?!
I know they are doing some pretty neat stuff with molecular bonding & ultra~tough slippery ceramics.
A lot of this super~tough coating stuff was developed trying to discover/invent protective coatings for things like the space shuttle.

#4 ·
With a good PTFE (Teflon) coating, you can shoot basically dry, in the average urban-carry setting. Clean-up is a wipe-down with a lightly oiled rag- this gets the gunk off, and gives all the lube you need. there was a fellow (I think) on 1911 Forums who had his 1911 Al Nitrided, with chrome, with PTFE overcoats. Forget throwing bullets, that surface would give you an armor-piercing pistol! :biggrin:

#6 ·
I wonder what it really is?

Yes, I know that we already have some low friction & "slippery" surface coatings that provide some measure of protection against rust.
There is also electroless nickel that forms a sort of molecular bond with the base metal.
I just wonder what THIS is that is so new???
It takes a LOT to get Old Daddy Colt Firearms excited about anything. :biggrin:

#12 ·
i know finshs have come lightyears here lately but show me a wonder finsh that looks as good as a old blued colt or smith and danged if i wont have my blued guns done...

The Hk Hostile enviroment is a good finsh not sure how it would do with out lube nor the tennifor (sp) on a glock would do...

I will say my 1911 38 super ran good with no lube (forgot to lube it up but thats another post ) in the parkarized finsh

#17 ·
I have found that my 1911 gathers dust and lint very fast when I oil it, so when I clean it i wipe it down with a dry cloth and put some Graphitoid Lub-a-Spray dry lubricant on the moving parts and it functions flawlessly. I have put about 3,000 rounds through it total and about 1800 rounds after switching to a dry lube, works awsome. Plus my 1911 is parkerized so rust realy isn't a issue as much as a blued version.

#18 ·
Bruces45

That's interesting. I'll need to track down that product.
These days I'm using a dry lube inside my magazines.
Maybe...I'll try your Graphitoid Lub-a-Spray in a SIG.
I hate it when crud sticks & builds up inside a SIG 'cause they are a bigger "chore" to keep really clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.