Phila. Armory Gun show / ammo?

This is a discussion on Phila. Armory Gun show / ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've never been to a gun show and am wondering if it is worth the trip solely for the purpose of buying ammo and possibly ...

Thread: Phila. Armory Gun show / ammo?

Phila. Armory Gun show / ammo?

I've never been to a gun show and am wondering if it is worth the trip solely for the purpose of buying ammo and possibly some targets. I currently pay about $180 for a case of 9mm 124gr FMJ. Could I buy ammo cheap enough at a gun show to make up for fuel and tolls? I would probably burn about 5 gallons of diesel plus $5 in tolls.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

You probably won't save much If anything at the gun show. At least that has been my experience at gun shows in my area. I get 2 or 3 a year within 20 minutes of home. I like to go just to look around.
    Guns are usually priced for impulse buyers. Factory and surplus ammo is usually on par with the local shops. Best to avoid the no name reloads as there's no telling what kind of maniac was working the press on those things.
    In between the guys selling beef jerky, western jewelry, and cell-phone cases, there are always a few old school dealers with "flea market" tables full of wierd surplus stuff, out of print books, and spare parts for guns you never heard of. Those are the fun tables where I always find something to take home (usually books).
    If you go looking for the deal of the century, you will probably leave dissapointed. But, it's definitely a good way to kill a saturday morning.

Don't forget to count how guys are walking around wearing black drover coats, trying to look scary.

EW3
    I was just at a gun show in Valley Forge. Waste of time IMO. Ammo prices were not that competitive (lots of Russian? and other strange looking stuff I'd be afraid to put in any of my guns) and it seemed like most of the guns were old and leftover junk dealers were looking to get rid of.
    The only thing that made it even worth my while were some Springfiled XD mags for a few dollars less than what I've seen online.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Thanks for the replies. With 3 kids and a wife, it was going to be hard to get there anyway. Mail order is extremely convenient or bulk buying at the range.

Thanks again,
    Rich

Links