1911 tune up time

1911 tune up time

This is a discussion on 1911 tune up time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking it's time to replace the recoil spring in my Kimber Pro CDP. She's close to the 1500 round mark (I think) I'm poking ...

Thread: 1911 tune up time

1911 tune up time

I'm thinking it's time to replace the recoil spring in my Kimber Pro CDP. She's close to the 1500 round mark (I think)
    I'm poking around over at Midway USA. What would be a good replacement. I haven't had any feed problems with the stock springs...but is there something better?

and how does one replace the spring on a one of these? the guide rod/recoil spring looks like one unit...but they don't show a replacement "unit"
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

JD
    Administrator
    If you have a Pro it should just be a regular spring, if you have an Ultra it has the dual captured recoil spring assembly.

Wolff Gun Springs are pretty much the standard springs that most people use.

If it's not a Pro and you have the dual spring assembly, you need to order one from Kimber for somewhere around $40.00

It's a Pro model. It has the one piece guide rod that you're supposed to use the "Kimber disassembly tool" for takedown. Why anyone would buy one from Midway for 2.00 instead of using a paperclip is beyond me but I digress.
    Does it use the "normal" recoil spring? This is the 1st 1911 I've had long enough to need to do any replacement springs on.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Brownells sells them

Brownells sells the Wolff brand recoil springs for the Kimber Pro and other 4 inch models, for $8. Here is a link:

Kimber Pro 20 lb. recoil spring

You can buy them direct from Wolff with no mark up.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Administrator

Post Here is the link to the Wolff Gun Springs Web Site

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Many thanks.
    Now for the million dollar question. When the big brown truck o goodness shows up, whats the best way to remove the old recoil spring from the 1 piece guide rod? When I dis assemble the gun, it's captured by the takedown tool. Do I just "pull the pin" and tell the wife to tell me where it ends up :-)
    ***EDIT*** I figured it out The hardest part was putting it back together again. That...and being smarter than the gun. I fought and fought that thing until I captured the spring in the rod...with the "tool" pointing the wrong way
    FINALLY took the barrell out of the slide, used that to give me the leverage needed to compress the spring, capture the WHOLE assy...again, and re assemble.
    WOOOO...my 2nd attempt into home 'smithing.
    Last edited by dunndw; September 27th, 2007 at 07:51 PM.

Links