1911 Add On's

This is a discussion on 1911 Add On's within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Many of you know that I recently acquired a SA MC Operator. I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot left handed almost as ...

Thread: 1911 Add On's

1911 Add On's

Many of you know that I recently acquired a SA MC Operator. I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot left handed almost as well I can right handed.

I would like to add an ambidextrous mag release to my operator. SA's custom shop will do it for $100. My question is, can I get the part(s) to do it myself on the market. (I haven't seen them in the typical places, like Brownell's). If the answer is yes, where can I get the part(s) and how difficult is it to install. I am thinking of doing it myself.

While you are at it, since I am new to the 1911 owners group, any other add ons I should consider? Best holster options?
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Brownells is typically a good source for gun parts. Being LH'ed , I understand you wanting the gun to work well for you. But , I find releasing the slide with my trigger finger works easier than twisting gun to use my thumb. Others advocate use of the slingshot method (yanking the slide back, then release).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Brownells is typically a good source for gun parts. Being LH'ed , I understand you wanting the gun to work well for you. But , I find releasing the slide with my trigger finger works easier than twisting gun to use my thumb. Others advocate use of the slingshot method (yanking the slide back, then release).
    The slide release is fine. I too use the slingshot method. It is the mag release that I would like to make ambi.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Lead Moderator
    Oops, mis read , sorry. I use my middle finger for the mag release.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links