Which single action to buy?

This is a discussion on Which single action to buy? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want a Single action six shooter. This gun will be shot and get some abuse so I don't want to spend $1500.00 on a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which single action to buy?

I want a Single action six shooter. This gun will be shot and get some abuse so I don't want to spend $1500.00 on a Colt SAA. I'm leaning toward the Ruger Vaquero http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=5102&return=Y but I am open to suggestions. If anyone has some experience with the Ruger or has any suggestions on another weapon, I would appreciate the info.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Lead Moderator
    My Ruger Vaquero seems to be built tough. I have a gen 1 , but hear the upgraded sec. gen is even better.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I have a Urberti Gunfighter in .45 Colt that I enjoy.

I probably am going to be selling it and most of my other Cowboy Action (revolver, holster, belt, reloading dies and 150rnds of spent brass) stuff in the near future. I never knew kids could be so expensive.
    I only out 150 rnds thru it but it functioned great and has a fantastic SA trigger.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Thanks pgrass I didn't even consider urberti.
    Rocky, How many rounds do you think you have through your ruger?

I have a couple of 44-40 single actions. They are made by Asimmi San Marcos of Italy and imported by KBI. They are no longer available under the name that I bought them. I think Charles Daily is selling them now. They are great shooting guns, but I only paid a bit less than 400 for both of them together. Since Charles Daily got them they are more than that for just one. Definately not worth that kind of money.

The Uberti is a good shooting single action too, and a bit cheaper than the Ruger. Navy arms makes colt replicas also, but a bit more expensive than the Uberti's.

With all the being said, if you go to many of the SASS events you will more than likely find a large number of Ruger Vaqueros being shot. That is, from what I understand, because they are nearly indestructable if used with the intened purpose and ammunition. If I had to go out and buy a pair of single actions today, my choice would be the Ruger.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by farronwolf; September 25th, 2007 at 09:16 PM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have had a vaquero (Bisley), but just could not love the ugly beast. Right now I have 5 Cimarron's. They are made by Uberti, but I personally feal they are a little higher qualtiy than the stock Uberti line

My brother has a brace of Uberti Remington outlaws, and at least 2 braces of Cimarron's model P's. After the first day out with the Uberti's they went in for an action job. After the action job they shoot better, but are mostly still left at home. I don't think any of his Cimarron's have had jobs done (his Cimarron rifle was great out of the box as well - while my Puma and his Army San Marcos both required work).

2 of my 1863 are stock and shoot great - the 3rd was bought second hand and has had a job done to it - it is slicker than snot (other two are open tops).

Most of our 1863's are 44-40 and chambered tight (winchester brass only). I think the chamber was reamed a little on the used 45 when the action job was done (mho).

Had 2nd gen vaquero's been out, I might have gone that route. I think a Cimmeron might be a tad smoother, but from what I have heard the Vaquero's are a bit more durable.

I have no first hand knowledge of the any of the other cowboy single actions.
    Last edited by mousehunter; September 25th, 2007 at 06:02 PM.

I'd go Ruger

I have had two Ruger single action six shooters for quite a while - a Blackhawk .357 and a Vaquero .44 magnum. They are both good guns and fun to shoot. I looked at the new model Vaquero in a gun store, and it is very nice - not as beefy as my Vaquero and very similar to the Colt SAA in appearance, but at a fraction of the price. I think I would go with the new Vaquero in your situation.

Here is my older Vaquero, in polished stainless:

I wished I kept my vaquero in .44 mag.
    But I think I be leaning toward the convertable blackhawk in .45LC/.45acp
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

The new Vaqueros are very nice - but I only use 44 Magnum (too many years, press set up for it, etc.). I have two 44 Mag Vaqueros that are doing fine and a Super Blackhawk I bought new in 1976 that literally has tens of thousands of rounds through it.
    Only problem was after about 15 years, it started throwing the base pin. I put a Belt Mountain base pin in it (with the set screw) to stop that.
    It has virtually no blue left, all the finish is off the aluminum, one whole side is rusted and pitted --- and it still shoots like a rifle. Toughest gun I have ever seen. I have dropped it out of barn lofts, thrown it at cows, bashed it into everything that was ever on my right side, etc.
    Rugers are tough.
    I'd love to have a Colt SAA, but I realize I'd have to really take care of it. I can just beat on a Ruger. I even carry one of the Vaqueros as my CCW gun once in a while.
    My 2 cents (or 4 cents) worth ----

Single actions

I have customized a few for the SASS folks. Vaqueros are fine guns. Several of the mounted shooters around here have them and use them pretty hard with black powder blanks without issues. Lots of Ubertis around and the only problem I ever saw was a loose front sight on a replica of a Remington revolver. Easy fix. One SASS guy had trouble with the Taurus Gauchos. Very rough around the ratchet and hand and would stick when rotating with even a little dirt in it. Worked on them and couldn't fix it 100%, so back to Taurus they went. He's still considering selling them. Never seen anything like that with the Rugers or Ubertis.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    Thanks pgrass I didn't even consider urberti.
    Rocky, How many rounds do you think you have through your ruger?
    No more than 50 -100 rnds. I bought it used. I have a single six .22 lr convertible to practice with and use the .44 mag Vaquero for hunting.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If you can live with how they feel in your hand, the Ruger's are hard to beat. The new model Vaquero isn't available in 44 mag but the New Model Blackhawk is and has adjustable sights. No matter whether you love or hate the "feel" of a Ruger, you will rarely find anyone who has had problems with their reliability.

If you want a fine firearm without the Colt price, you might want to check out the U.S. FireArms lineup. Their Rodeo model, while a "plain Jane" as far as finish, is built for the demanding CAS market. While I don't personally have a Rodeo, it seems that most reports I've seen on them are very favorable. I do have 3 of the USFA firearms (a Henry Nettleton and 2 of their pre-war models) that I use in CAS and am extremely happy with them, though these models approach or exceed Colt prices.

My USFA revolvers:

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    Link to the UBERTI USA SAA page with thumbnails of all of their cartridge Colt Clones.
    http://www.uberti.com/firearms/Cattleman.tpl
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

When I choose a gun. Is barrel length just personal preferance or is a certian length more balanced than others? I know I am going to get the gun chambered in 45LC.

IMO, it's more a matter of personal preference than anything else. As you can see from the photos above, I started out with two 4 3/4" guns. The last one I purchased was the 5 1/2". If I had to start over, I'd stick with just the 5 1/2" barrels. For me, it offers the best feel but I know others who think the 7 1/2" barrels offer the best balance. Again, all personal preference. One thing I would suggest is to make yourself up some dummy cartridges and load them in whatever your looking at to get a true feel of the loaded firearm. 5 (if your looking at a Colt or most Colt clones) or 6 (in a Ruger) cartridges loaded with 250 grain slugs adds a lot of weight to the cylinder and a loaded gun will definitely have a different balance than an unloaded one. I still think the 4 3/4" guns are the best "looking" since the ejector housing runs to the end of the barrel but the 5 1/2" guns are a little easier for me to shoot (longer sighting radius and a bit more weight out front to dampen muzzle rise).

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links