Why I'm an idiot.....learn from my mistake. - Page 2

Why I'm an idiot.....learn from my mistake.

This is a discussion on Why I'm an idiot.....learn from my mistake. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by triggertime SGeringer: So you removed your Glock from the holster and dropped your pants... What did you do it after that? *curious* ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I'm an idiot.....learn from my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by triggertime
    SGeringer: So you removed your Glock from the holster and dropped your pants... What did you do it after that? *curious*
    More or less I "downloaded" my EDC stuff, went back into our living room and got our comforter, pillows, etc, and some combination covered the GLOCK and took it out of my thoughts. I was tired which was a problem (not in any way an excuse or mitigating factor, but certainly true). Carelessness, plain and simple. How the trigger was sufficiently I'll never know, but I'm SO thankful that whatever conditions did that kept the muzzle away from me and pointed in a relatively safe direction. I'm sorry it wasn't clearer at first. Imagine just the mattress and bed spring, and me standing at the head where a nightstand would/will be, and the gun going down near the top of the bed and my knife, light, phone, etc going down next to the bed with my pants and intact belt/CompTac. Then the bedding went on top, was roughly arranged for sleep and me getting in. I would have thought I would have felt the GLOCK, but apparently at first it was not directly under me, as it went off when I shifted.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

QKShooter: You are correct, sir. SGeringer was gracious enough to share this incident with us so that we can learn from it. There is no point in degrading or beating someone up over human error. We need to accept the reality that we are not perfect and that accidents happen, especially when we least expect them to. That said, I am thankful that SGeringer is still alive and able to tell his tale so that we may learn from it.

The guy (SGeringer) had a lot of guts just to discuss this with us and I thank him!!! I think he should take the family and get a choc icecream and just watch the clouds go by to appreciate the day.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    At this point I don't think the fallout and damage to property is what is really bothering him. And as you say, he has done us a great service by setting his ego aside to share with us some info we probably never think about.

I have a loaded gun in my bedroom. It never dawned on me that a scenario like his was possible.

What troubles me is the guilt he feels from the AD. It sounds like he'll replay the incident in his head for a bit. 'Good guys' do that because they care about those around them.

That's the issue for which we need to provide support. He'll be harder on himself than any statute or legal admonition.

OK, it's time to stop beating yourself up. You learned a valuable lesson; No matter how gun savvy you are, Mr. Murphy is always waiting for an opportunity. Now you know how NOT to store your handgun at night, let the lesson burn itself into your subconscious, thank God that no one was hurt, give Madison a big hug, and move forward. Got to the range, practice ALL of your skills, and chalk this one up to experience.

SGeringer,

Hard to feel better after such a lapse in judgement
    That's because you feel alone. I'll bet everyone has a stupid AD story, I know I do.

There was a story in my local paper today, The Wisconsin State Journal. There was an article about getting past misfortune and stupidity. The headline was: First Rehab Then Salvation.

Took me about four years of beating myself, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

I think events like this galvanize a person and make them better. My brother is a 'silver spoon' kid, and he needs to be. Trouble blows him to pieces. When he travels, he plans extra days. After each leg of a journey, he stays over a day to sleep in a hotel and calm down. I've been in a personnel office getting fired with my Harley keys spinning in my hand. The gas-bag just wouldn't shut up.

Yours was dangerous event, I don't want to minimize that. I don't even have to say that; you thought it a thousand times.

Come join us Pagliacci clowns on our nice big bus. There's room next to me.

Lead Moderator
    Glad everyone is O.K. I am suprised a Glock would even discharge with incidental pressure as such. Perhaps a good though to get a electronic handgun safe. Especially with a young child in the house. I personally keep my auto with empty chamber at night. I figure I better be awake to use the gun and its hard to rack the slide and not wake up. Seriously consider a safe though, kids 2 and up are real curious. hopefully we all will learn from this. Thanks for posting.

Thanks again for all of the kind words folks, it's greatly appreciated. I'm starting to feel better, and let me tell you, I thought I was cautious BEFORE this w/ my CCW.....fortunately it's hard to envision another lapse but I won't be letting my guard down again.

Thank you folks.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

No prob. I have lots of folks that have helped me and I feel I should pay it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by SGeringer
    I had my first (and LAST) negligent discharge this past week.
    Two comments:

1. Don't be so sure you've had your last. The fact that you have had one does not innoculate you against ever having another. Your job now is to prevent the next one. I hope you will be successful, and based on your attitude I'd say your chances are very good. I'd go shooting with you any day.

2. I did something stupid once (well, maybe more than once ). As I was beating myself up, telling myself what an idiot I was, a thought occurred to me: if this had happened to my best friend, would I be talking to him the way I'm talking to myself? Absolutely not. I would be supportive, tell him everyone makes mistakes, and make it clear that I don't think any less of him for his unfortunate experience. So...treat yourself the way you'd treat your best friend. Acknowledge, forgive, maybe tease yourself a little when the time is right. Know that having had this lesson, you are a bit wiser than you used to be, and start looking for the next lesson.

Thank you for sharing.

SSKC

I would be supportive, tell him everyone makes mistakes, and make it clear that I don't think any less of him
    Excellent advice, well put.

When I was going through redemption it was the people that I had offended the most that walked me back to life.

OD*
    If you learned from your mistake, you are not an idiot, sir.

Idiots never learn.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator

Thumbs up Od

You said it all in one short line!

He is just human.

All we can do is just goof sometimes & learn something from it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just seeing this post, and wow! I can't imagine how shocked and scared you must have been! If your pistol was loose on the bed, you're very lucky. Thanks for sharing this cautionary tale with us. When our power was out for a couple of weeks after Isabelle, I slept with my pistol because of looting in the neighborhood, and had the shotgun at the ready. After reading your experience, I think I'm going to change that tactic if the situation should happen, again.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links