Why I'm an idiot.....learn from my mistake.
Seeing as this is first and foremost a LEARNING forum, I'll swallow my pride and admit something I'd just as soon never share with anyone ever again.
I had my first (and LAST) negligent discharge this past week. While it WAS an accident and not the product of playing, etc, I don't believe in the term "accidental" discharge. There is equipment malfunction and NEGLIGENT discharge. The latter category applies to me.
As some of you may know, my princess Milissa and I just moved into our first place. Things are quite hectic and we don't have any real furniture minus a mattress and box spring as everything else is in storage etc. So Weds. night Milissa took off for a bit and left sleeping Madison (2 yr old) and I at home. We had been camped around the TV watching our new cable (hmm....DVR) and in the absence of furniture, had brought out our pillows and comforter. After she left I decided to go to bed. I went into our bedroom and emptied my pockets, dropping most of the junk on the floor, except my GLOCK which I would of course not drop on the floor. I then left and retrieved the bedding, throwing it on the bed. Arranged the pillows roughly, popped into bed, and fell asleep. The last time I saw the clock radio it said 22:42.
2302; BOOM! I awoke quicker then I'd ever awoken in my life. I had been sleeping on my belly with my face pointing right and my right arm over the pillow. Apparently, I'd shifted while pressing down on the loaded GLOCK 23 and material from the bedding and/or pillow wedged into the trigger guard just right and set it off. To the GLOCK's credit, it fully cycled into battery with a new round. I FREAKED out. I bolted in to check on Maddy......she didn't even wake up. I ran back, cleared the weapon, and checked the trajectory. It had gone down slightly, through about 25 inches of mattress, and into a wall bordered by a walkin closet. The 135 grain Corbon JHP did not exit out the other side. I called the police shaking, letting them know I'd accidentally fired a round into my wall. Examining the bedding, there was a long bullet path in the pillowcase, and both the sheet and pillowcase had scorching. Milissa showed up a bit later and bless her heart did her best to make me feel better. Wasn't possible. I really messed up. The conditions just happened to be perfect and no one was hurt or even heard it. Despite an open window, the bedding muffled it. The cops showed up and, while they were very professional and good guys, I didn't appreciate the sermon about how even THEY thought loaded handguns in the house were ineffective and THEY call 911 and lock up guns. As they left the switched tact and recommended I put up the GLOCK at night and use my 12 gauge.
This is a learning forum. I did something INCREDIBLY stupid, but if it has even a minute amount of usefulness in terms of education, I'll be happy. Heap on the criticism, I deserve it. Nothing you could say will make me feel worse. My age and this incident notwithstanding, I take gun safety GRAVELY seriously and I have a lot of respect for and familiarity with the weapons that can be found on my person 24/7. The GLOCK naysayers can bite their tongues. It was NOT the weapon design and/or lack of safety. It was NOT circumstantial. There are no mitigating factors.....I am a *******. Please learn from my example. Use your nightstand and/or nightstand safe, and DO NOT lose track of your weapon for ANY reason.