Grip Angle?

This is a discussion on Grip Angle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I donít want to start the 1911 vs. Glock debate. I have and love both of mine. What I would like is some hard data, ...

Thread: Grip Angle?

Grip Angle?

I donít want to start the 1911 vs. Glock debate. I have and love both of mine.

What I would like is some hard data, expert advice and dare I say opinion on an issue that developed today.

I bought my first 1911 this year and have put about 1500 rounds through it in the last 6 months. In that time, it has easily become my favorite and my other guns are not getting their equal time on the range.

Typically, I shoot my Kahr and 1911 a little low, and my G-26 is dead on. Today I took out my Glock 26 that I have had for over 10 years, but have not shot much (250rds) since I got the PT1911. I shot 150 through my Kahr PM-9 first (no problems), then 100 through the G-26. Most of the 100rds from the G-26 were 6 inches to a foot high from 15 yards.

My question (finally) is this. Does switching back and forth between the different grip angles affect other peoples point of aim that much? Is it possible that Iíve forgotten how to shoot a gun Iíve had for 10 years and many thousands of rounds? I know the grip angle debate is subjective, so to stay away from a Glock hater, JMB for president threads, what are the actual facts on this? What is the grip angle of the Glock and 1911? Is it that much of a difference?

Also, just for an alternate theory, is it possible to shoot out the barrel on a Glock? The barrel looked fine when I checked. But honestly, I donít remember what it looked like 10 years ago. And it was used thenÖ

Dauff

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Well w/ the Colt 1911 if you're hitting low with it...then you should install an arched mainspring housing and that will usually raise your POI a bit.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    I say yes. You get used to a certain angle. Once you settle in ,it becomes natural to point shoot it . I shoot a HK USP and a 1911. similar grip angle. When I grab a Glock the natural point of aim is high. I have to look at the sights and bring the front sight down to level the front and rear sights.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Use the sights and your wrist joint

Having used gun chat sites for years, I have read many posts regarding the Glock grip angle. I personally own a couple of Glocks and also other handguns (like 1911s and Sigs) with slightly different grip angles.

When I go to the range I'll take 2 or 3 guns and alternate shooting them. I use the sights and adjust the angle of my wrist to accomodate the different guns, and have never had a problem with these slight variations in grip angle.

I have always been a little puzzled why some people have a problem doing this, as it seems quite simple to me.

You know, I switch between GLOCK and HK all the time. With 3-4 draws the sights are 'on' and I'm ready. I don't think that the angle of the grip is the issue if we're talking about slow fire.

If the sights are lined up when the shot breaks, how can the grip angle effect the shot? While I agree that in rapid fire it can certainly have an effect (if you are point-shooting), the grip angle is incidental to shot placement in slow fire.

Is it possible that you're anticipating the shot with the .45 ACP?

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Now my opinions of glocks should be well known here and i wont address that particular issue LOL . I like a 1911 with both the flat housing and long trigger and i shoot well with that configuration . I shoot well with my Kahrs , and round butt S&W revolvers too . Square butt S&Ws , Glocks , arched housing 1911s and my p7 hk all tend to point high for me for a few rounds . After a couple of reloads tho they come into line , and then it takes a mag or so thro what i " like " on grip angle to come into my expectations . In the past i have used " grip angle " as an excuse not to like a brand of pistol , I have re evaluated this , and discovered that it has nothing really to do with grip angle. I just dont like the darn things from top to bottom , but wont say they are bad . Heck i am old and set in my ways , but am starting to appreciate synthetic stocks on utility rifles, and carry tactical tupperware everyday so may be there is some hope lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Yes, grip angle can change your POA. There IS that much of a difference if you're precision shooting. It's like playing a musical instrument. If I miss practicing for a week, I notice. If I miss practicing for a month...EVERYBODY notices.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Lead Moderator
    How critical the adjustment from on angle to another is up to the individual. I personally want to have the gun naturally pointed , even if my eyes are closed. I believe that .01 of a second to adjust is enough to affect my performance. Likewise I want to be able to point shoot without being way off target.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I can live with most, but the Glock I can't begin to get used to, and the trigger still seems very, very strange.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

My two EDC are the Kimber Ultra, and a Glock-36. I have noticed the difference in grip angle, but I can still shoot both well. My thinking is that at 5-10 feet, it's not going to make a big difference for me...someone standing in front of me demanding my wallet is either getting it in the gut or the lung...(Ultra or Glock)...either will stop the threat...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links