Booze and Guns

This is a discussion on Booze and Guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now I know we are all smart enough not to drink in excess and carry firearms. I also am sure very few here will down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booze and Guns

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Booze and Guns

Now I know we are all smart enough not to drink in excess and carry firearms. I also am sure very few here will down a six pack while shooting with their buddies. However, how many of us will have a few at home with those home protection pieces close at hand? Now I for one don't drink much or often. But the Wife and I were camping and I was sitting in our 5th wheel and having a wine cooler with supper. I glanced over and saw my pistol sitting near the couch and that little light bulb popped on. What if I had another one or two after supper and God forbid mister bad guy comes knocking and we must defend our selfs and loved ones. I for one would hate to explain the smell of alcohol on my breath to a cop or prosecutor after a self defense shooting.
    Just wondering how many have given thought to this also?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Everything in moderation, nothing in excess.

The other day after I shot some better groups with my rifle I cleaned it, loaded it (a condition I keep all my firearms in) and put it away before I had ONE beer.

I touch type. When I am drinking a beer while sitting here writing something, I invariably make lots of spelling mistakes. I usually do that anyway, but I catch 'em right away and hit the backspace key. With the beer, that doesn't happen. I can see how this could translate into accidently putting your finger on the trigger...

When I drink, I stop at two beers, max. I do not go off my property armed even if I've only had one, and remember, I live in a state which doesn't really regulate how much you can drink while armed. Search Indiana code; you'll come up with zilch.

Best practice is to know your limit and stop well before it.

Josh <><

If it was a true "good shoot" then it wouldn't matter much.

I have been in a situation where I could have been too drunk to even walk and been 100&#37; justified in defending my life, with deadly force.

If you're involved in a shooting under questionable circumstances, logic dictates that alcohol isn't going to help matters much.

If you're out camping and someone breaks into your camper and it's pretty obvious a clear cut self defense situation, it probably isn't going to matter a whole lot if any.

You have a right to defend yourself at any time, period. The problem where alcohol comes into play is in evaluating your judgement regarding whether you should have shot him or not.

If you are minding your own business inside your camper out in the boondocks with your wife and some thug breaks in on you, it's a pretty obvious assumption to think he was intending to harm you. Likewise if you are in your home.

If I'm out drinking with friends, I'm not armed. A relatively rare situation to begin with.

If I'm out having dinner with my wife and enjoy one beer or a glass of wine with the meal, I'm not worried about it! Most of the time, I don't drink even when out to dinner, but occasionally a cold beer or glass of wine does go good with certain meals.

Unlike some people I know, I can actually stop drinking after one drink. It's a foreign concept to some people I know or work with, but as a responsible adult, I can actually exert a measure of self control.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I have to admit that I'll have a six pack spread out about every other week. That is my lifestyle and that is what I like to try to protect. I'm not a drunk and I do not think you can find anyone who will say I am. If I had to use my weapon after a beer then so be it. In court I'm sure they will never come close to proving I was over the limit.

I have a easy solution to this problem. I don't drink, haven't in 11 years therefore this is a mute point, but something good for those that do to think about. Now a days anything ta defense attorney can bring up against you he is going to use to his full advantage.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Alcohol impairs judgement and physical skills

It is obvious to most people with any experience that alcohol will impair your judgement and physical skills. A little alcohol impairs these a little, and a lot of alcohol impairs these a lot.

If you want to do things that have an element of danger, like handling guns or operating machinery, why would you drink at all? You increase the odds of a tragic accident.

Of course, those who have a slight addiction to the use of alcohol will argue otherwise, since it suits their objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    Now I know we are all smart enough not to drink in excess and carry firearms. I also am sure very few here will down a six pack while shooting with their buddies. However, how many of us will have a few at home with those home protection pieces close at hand? Now I for one don't drink much or often. But the Wife and I were camping and I was sitting in our 5th wheel and having a wine cooler with supper. I glanced over and saw my pistol sitting near the couch and that little light bulb popped on. What if I had another one or two after supper and God forbid mister bad guy comes knocking and we must defend our selfs and loved ones. I for one would hate to explain the smell of alcohol on my breath to a cop or prosecutor after a self defense shooting.
    Just wondering how many have given thought to this also?
    Mike
    I have to wonder what Mr. Cooper would have said. I believe that any alcohol at all can change how you interpret your surroundings, and could in some way prevent the instictive switches from one condition to another. Would you ever want to delay the reflexive escallation from yellow to orange...or worse...orange to red?

I think that two arguments could be made.

1.) If you're in a situation where you're uncertain of ANYTHING, don't be drinkin' at all. If I were an assailant, I'd MUCH rather you had a few double Johnny Walkers before I enter the room. This seems remedial, but this is why there are no acceptable levels of alcohol under conditions orange or red.

2.) We all agree that a 'yellow' state is probably something a trained individual never leaves in favor of white. But I don't think this means you have to be willing to go condition white to knock back a few beers or whatever. Be sure of where you are and who you're with...my basement with the dogs and a Buckeye game and I'm feeling pretty safe (especially when they play That Team Up North...ha!). BUT...under these conditions, I disarm before things get rolling. Always. Admittedly, if you wanted to 'get me', that would be the time.

Celebrating with family and friends in moderation is great, and I encourage it. Benjamin Franklin wrote that beer is proof that God exists, loves us and wants us to be happy.

Don't ever overdo it!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I LOVE good beer, whiskey, and tequilia. I WILL NOT carry while drinking. I don't drink much or often so it's not really an issue.
    A beer or two at the house every so often=no big deal.
    Any more than that=no gun.
    Moderation and common sense is the rule.

Scot Van wrote:
    "Benjamin Franklin wrote that beer is proof that God exists, loves us and wants us to be happy.

Don't ever overdo it!"

+1
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Easier for me not to drink at all. This way it will never be an issue.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh - the old fave again!

Best of course is no drink - period. However I do enjoy a late evening shot or three and tho I am carrying all waking hours do not feel I should have to forgo my small pleasure. Should an attack occur late in the evening in my home I will respond whether I have had a drink or not.

Beyond that the rest of each day I am dry whether out or home - and do not drink and drive either so sobriety is easy as well as wise.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Same as P95Carry. I may drink several beers here at home and I still carry at times or atleast keep the gun nearby. I NEVER drink and drive and I use to have a beer with dinner if I was out, but don't now. If something went down outside of my home, I dont want any alcohol on my breath or if I got pulled over on the way home and the cop smelled alcohol on me and I was carrying, well I just don't want to risk it even with one beer.
    I don't get sloppy drunk at home. I am not going to deny myself the right to have a few beers in my own home. I'm also not going to throw out the window my right to defend myself in my own home.

I used to enjoy a beer or drink when out for dinner...but since I have a commercial driver's license in Texas, now if they check you within 30 minutes after one beer, you "blow" drunk (.04&#37;). Now I just enjoy my tea and carry like always...I believe if it was a justified shoot, the alcohol content wouldn't be that big an issue. But why fight the odds...it's just easier when out to keep yourself in a condition to respond quickly and to have as few "questions" as possible if an event should occur. YMMV...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Although this is deceased equine abuse, I have no problem having a drink or two while I'm out to dinner. If I feel I am sober enough to drive (per the State), then I should be OK to carry a gun. If I am having a party, or planning on getting hammered (does any adult plan such a thing?) then I would not carry.

F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Ahh - the old fave again!

Best of course is no drink - period. However I do enjoy a late evening shot or three and tho I am carrying all waking hours do not feel I should have to forgo my small pleasure. Should an attack occur late in the evening in my home I will respond whether I have had a drink or not.
    My philosophy, also. I drink all the time at home and always have at least a pocket pistol on me and several other larger arms for quick access (no kids). Whether I'm drinking or not, if a home invasion occurs to the point they had to break down my locked doors, get past the dogs and alarm system, then they're not there for tea and cookies. They're getting plugged whether I'm sober or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links