CBS News Assault Weapons "Report"

This is a discussion on CBS News Assault Weapons "Report" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBS News Assault Weapons "Report"

VIP Member
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Iwant one of those $200 AK...
    I'll buy a couple......does that 'include' the stamp?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    This may be a crazy idea, but if it works it's not crazy. Maybe we could get John Stossel over at ABC to run a report on it. He has done a good firearms report this year. He might get a kick our of skewering CBS in prime time. Anyone who wrote a book called Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity: Get Out The Shovel-Why Everything You Know Is Wrong and uses this for a description: "John Stossel Digs Up the Truth Often Buried by the Press" would probably start salivating at the opportunity to jump all over this story.

Terry, you could go to his ABC page and leave a comment. Who knows he might actually read them.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    At one point (years past), I thought mere honor and integrity would drive out stupidity and arrogance from the entire industry. Plagiarism, slant and bias, outright lies, deception, cover-up. Instead, the all-mighty advertising dollar has warped the hearts and minds so completely that "truth" and "news" cannot be uttered in the same breath without breaking out in laughter. What integrity once existed has long since vanished from all but the most-stalwart rags.
    I agree with you that the state of things would be accurately described as "abysmal," but I disagree about the cause.

The cause is not "advertising dollars". The cause is a warped ideology, and the desire to make it spread.

You take an anti-gun news writer, or anchor, or producer, and he realizes he has the power, to some degree, to make the world over in the image he wants to see it made over in. All he has to do is plant subtle (or even not-so-subtle) lies, and many thousands, even millions, of people will come away believing whatever he says.

It must be intoxicating to find yourself with that much ability to change minds. Think about how you would feel if you had the power to make millions of people be pro-gun. Of course, we would accomplish that by using their bully pulpit to tell truths and spread common sense, while they use it to get lies repeated, but it'd be the same feeling, I think.

They are out to change the country's ideology, not make advertising dollars. That's my suspicion, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The cause is not "advertising dollars". The cause is a warped ideology, and the desire to make it spread.
    Chicken and egg. Being on the outside, I'm uncertain what's true. I'm sure it varies. Though, that power is gained only via having the cashflow being there, year after year. That comes from appeasement, in a sense: pleasing the sponsors (advertisers) of the newspaper (or news program). Ultimately, without deep pockets, sponsorship drives existence, drives content. "He with the gold ..." and all that. Arguably, an organization wouldn't have its warps and desires very long, if the whole of its sponsorship demanded outright change. More directions have changed on the putting green than in the boardroom, I'll warrant.

Anyway, I'll grant that, more often than not, it surely appears as though a "news" organization's partial goal, at least, is mind control via a specific agenda. Brainwashing's not simple and takes time, and it's made infinitely simpler with a largely stupid audience that doesn't pay close attention. Welcome to America from ~1960 onward.

Back on topic.

Yeah, I wouldn't say "no" to one of those popular $200 full-auto AK's, as well. I'd like a newsie to find one, just one, available on the open market. Uh ... er ... mmm ... let me get back to ya. Right.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    This may be a crazy idea, but if it works it's not crazy. Maybe we could get John Stossel over at ABC to run a report on it. He has done a good firearms report this year. He might get a kick our of skewering CBS in prime time. Anyone who wrote a book called Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity: Get Out The Shovel-Why Everything You Know Is Wrong and uses this for a description: "John Stossel Digs Up the Truth Often Buried by the Press" would probably start salivating at the opportunity to jump all over this story.

Terry, you could go to his ABC page and leave a comment. Who knows he might actually read them.
    You know, that's not a bad idea.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Poor understanding by the media of "Select Fire" weapons and the desire to sensationalize the story leads to the use of AK-47 as the evil weapon of the day. Yes some of the weapons on the table were SKS's but that doesn't sound as dramatic, thanks to the continued referal to combat. I wish I could say education would change this, but anti's learn only what they want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links