CBS News Assault Weapons "Report"

This is a discussion on CBS News Assault Weapons "Report" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a video from the CBS Evening News for 1 October. (A commercial message plays first). (Don't yell at me, I'm just the messenger). http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_vi...ml?id=3317021n...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBS News Assault Weapons "Report"

1943 - 2009

CBS News Assault Weapons "Report"

Here's a video from the CBS Evening News for 1 October.

(A commercial message plays first).

(Don't yell at me, I'm just the messenger).

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_vi...ml?id=3317021n

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    And here we go again showing a fully autos as available weapons to anybody in the street
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

"It can fire 600 rounds at the flick of a finger."

I don't even know where to start. At roughly 30 rounds per foot, that mag would be 20 feet long. I'm trying to picture him getting that through the front doors.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Didn't they show a couple SKS's on the table and say "these are just like an AK47"?

I too thought the 600rpm statement, although factual, was misleading to the general public.

Hey, it's the news. What more did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by zxd9 View Post
    Hey, it's the news. What more did you expect?
    At one point (years past), I thought mere honor and integrity would drive out stupidity and arrogance from the entire industry. Plagiarism, slant and bias, outright lies, deception, cover-up. Instead, the all-mighty advertising dollar has warped the hearts and minds so completely that "truth" and "news" cannot be uttered in the same breath without breaking out in laughter. What integrity once existed has long since vanished from all but the most-stalwart rags. Get back to basics ... light a fire this week, with your newspaper (or video of a network news show).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    misleading to the general public.
    There we have it - par for the course ....... pump up the hype and to heck with accuracy. Whether TV or printed media - it's all about sensationalism, and selling copy or air time.

I just wish those who wrote stuff would research properly and apply fact instead of twisted information. Guess it ain't gonna happen.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    The members of the media had a conniption when the "assault weapon ban" expired. They won't stop beating the drums until either it is reinstated or the Supreme Court tells them, in so many words, to shut up. (Even then, they might not be able to control themselves. )

Senior Moderator
    I have learned that "facts" have never got in the way of the "News" reporting the "Truth"

That is one reason I get most of my news from NPR they may have a libearl slant but they at least use facts (well most of the time, were as TV news uses facts every now and then by accident).
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I want to know 2 things:

1) If those indeed were "automatic" weapons as defined by the ATF, where were the required federal tax stamp cards required to carried with class 3 weapons? I have an Uncle who posesses severasl class 3weapons, and they all have this documentation without exception.

2) If the weapons are not "automatic" as they claim, then where is the NRA and GOA? They should be all over this.

3) And if the guys on the broadcast had "automatic weapons" and were on the show with illegal guns, where is the ATF? They should be kicking down doors to find out where these guys are.

Just some thoughts.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Iwant one of those $200 AK not the kit with a bunch of pieces.
    CBS is so bigotted I laugh but many people take this as truth.

Can you say aiding and abetting, since I sincerely doubt they had a class 3 license they are in violation of federal law, and so is she for not turning them in, so any crime they may commit in the future she is by law as guilty as they are.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I sent CBS a nasty (but eloquent) message through the NRA ILA website. Besides giving them the facts about the nonsense of their report, I also told them that this is a perfect example of why I no longer watch any of their newscasts and that I was referred to this piece through the internet.

Now I finally understand what the initials mean..it has been right in front of our faces the whole time, folks! Tune in to CBS affiliates if you want to C (see) BS News!!!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

+1 for alyehoud

A $200 AK47, fully automatic???? No Class III needed.... wow! My semi-auto AK ran $329. Guess I was overcharged!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Dang it, where's Miggy's "Stinkin' Facts" picture?!

We really need to counter this blatent nonsense. I have a very very hard time believing that true select-fire assault rifles are flooding the streets for $200 each, especially ones that have been illegal to import since 1968.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links