What would you do? I'm being offered a new 1911 from SA

This is a discussion on What would you do? I'm being offered a new 1911 from SA within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Roughly 3 weeks ago after a normal training day I went home and during a break down to check my everyday carry Springfield Armory 1911 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? I'm being offered a new 1911 from SA

Question What would you do? I'm being offered a new 1911 from SA

Roughly 3 weeks ago after a normal training day I went home and during a break down to check my everyday carry Springfield Armory 1911 'Lightweight Compact' .45 ACP (Model # PX9503L) I discovered that the rear most post on the ejector had sheared flush to the frame. The gun fired fine and I have no idea when it actually broke but it was broken and there after I took her offline and out of rotation for use.
    A few weeks of procrastination later I sent her back for repairs. That was two Saturdays ago.

FFWD to this morning I get a call from SA.

As it turns out they tried to repair it by drilling out the old post but the result of doing so made it so that the frame is no longer usable. :(
    They are going to repair it by replacing it outright. Only problem is that this model was discontinued like 3 yrs. ago. :(
    I _REALLLLLY_ liked this gun, alot. It was my overall favorite to shoot and by far my preferred carry and go to gun.

So upon conversation with SA my option is to choose any variant of the following SA model 1911s:

* 'GI .45'
    * 'Mil-Spec'
    * 'Loaded'
    * 'Operator'
    * 'EMP'
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/ar...clicktype=1911

This is a 1:1 swap with no additional cost to me.
    Frankly I'm not up on the current most latest offerings of SA as I just haven't paid attention as I'd had no intent to pickup another 1911. I mean I'd already had three including my now old SA, which BTW they will not return to me and the new will be a replacement against my old serial number with paperwork to satisfy legal concerns.

I'm familiar with the TRP and the GI. 45 (but that's about it.
    The contact from SA indicated that the GA and the Mil-Spec are both downgrades/below my old model and she figured I'd not be interested in either of those two. Upon review of those she is correct.
    BTW I can also upgrade as well to a TRP at an additional cost of ~ $500.

I'm not sure where to go from here...

This new gun would have to be a replacement for my old and it would be an EDC duty weapon. I'd prefer a Commander sized 4" barrel replacement as the previous was and I'd prefer it to be lighter in weight allowing for all day carry as my old was an aluminum frame with steel slide and had Novak night sights.

For relative comparison below is a pic and link toward review of my old SA which was in my hands dead on accurate and up to now had for years simply been reliable.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/sa_compact.htm

Currently I have a Sig 'GSR' 1911 (now a Gen I frame, II slide, and III parts hybrid) and a Colt 'Defender', to which the GSRis largely a range gun for bullseye shooting as it's otherwise too heavy to EDC while the Defender I now EDC although it's not optimal having it's original iron sights (soon to be swapped out for XS 'Big Dot' sights).

Kudos to SA for their awesome warranty and stand behind their product policy to satisfy their customer, period.

Thank you ahead of time for your help, advice, and suggestions.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Go with the Operator unless you like basic guns. All Springfields are good guns though. The EMP is a 9mm. FYI steel non-lightweight tend to last a bit longer.
    -Biker

talk about lucking out !
    do some research on the EMP, you might like it. I, personally, would like an operator... RESEARCH TIME !!!!
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Lead Moderator
    Your old gun looks similar to a SA Champion loaded. Not sure from the pic, but your old SA looks to be a shorter grip? I really like and recommend my SA Champ LW (however has a full grip). It has been my EDC for over a year now.
    Maybe something like this?http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=20
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I'd go with the operator. If you dont like it, it will bring you the most cash trade/buy what you do like.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Artz - I have looked at the EMP in the past but the price as new turned me off (then) and it's a short barreled 9mm as well as an proven new design. I'm not keen on 9mm in general for defensive purposes much less from a 3" barrel, although I'd run Corbon DPX if I did go 9mm. Other thing is I already have a stubby 1911 in the Colt 'Defender' so the EMP would seem redundant even as it is interesting.

Rocky - You are correct it essentially was a Champion Loaded which did not exist when mine was in play. I think the CL may have replaced my model LC. The LC was an Officer sized frame with a Commander length (4") barrel & slide. It concealed under the lightest of clothing, on my frame, with ease and it never got heavy/tiring even when worn all day.

Sixto - The Lightweight Champion Operator looks like a good selection only it's got a rail which I have no purpose for. Also all of my duty/CCW holsters are non rail so that means I'd have to spend coin on new holsters left and right handed. :(
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=32

I'm also thinking to go with a Loaded Full-Size Target in 9mm
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=22
    Cheaper to train with and in the same manual of arms that I'm most familiar with.
    As well there is no SA dealer that I know of in my region of MA, if in the state at all. Geez this is going to be difficult selecting without first hand touch and goign only by internet based research as no one I know personally has an SA aside from a GI. :\

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have a Loaded 5", and love it. So much so that I have been considering getting one in the micro compact to take some of the more discrete carry that I need at times.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Depending on primary purpose I's go with the Operator for general shooting or the EMP as a concealed weapon. You may want to talk to them and see if they will include the Trophy Match if you do a lot of competition shooting. In short - research.

I'd vote for the Operator, as well. I think it's probably the highest value item on the list, as well as being an excellent handgun.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

One thought: you could ask if you could pay the difference to get a TRP.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I asked and I can pay to get a TRP and it would be a ~$500 premium.
    As well I could do same toward a Trophy Match but I won't to that end as it is redundant to what I already have and use for as much (Bullseye) in the SigArms 'GSR'.

This is a completely tough decision.

- Janq

BAC
    I wouldn't know how to help you make a decision. They broke your favorite gun. I'd be depressed as hell.

Best I can suggest is asking if they could try to match the gun as best as they could (mating an Officer frame with a Commander barrel & slide, for example). I'm completely with you about the rail though, so I'd make sure that comes up in discussion.

Hope everything sorts out right for ya.

-B

All things considered, I'd go with the operator.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing, and of course a range report.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hi,

I'm a stranger to you so my opinion may be of little value, but here is my take anyway...

I do know a little about dependability; I shot competitive handgun (IPSC) for 10 years or so back when there was open and limited. I shot limited.

I have a Loaded Champion SS and it's very fine. I shot it to qualify for my CC permit after only 500 rnds break-in. I wouldn't hesitate for even a moment to carry it anywhere I am legally allowed to carry. My instructor was rather envious-the Champion was something he lusted after, but he settled for another 4 in 1911 derivative because of availability.

I'm a firm believer in 'fair trade/trading'; the Loaded Champion appears to have similar features to your ruined gun--this is a karma thing.

If you are collecting 'trophies', this is a gun; nothing more; take someone else's advice. If you carry in relatively safe environments the Champion is very classy looking; it looks good OWB or glinting under a dinner jacket. If you carry in truly bad areas, the Champion is a bit flashy and more than I would want dumped in an evidence room while things get sorted.

A final comment: don't cry over spilled milk; get something that makes you feel good!

I'm with SIXTO and BAC - try to get the most you can out of them. Maybe you can find a NIB Lightweight Compact on Gunbroker.com or something and have them buy that for you. Or custom make you the gun you'll never have again... Or just get whatever costs the most, sell it and get a Baer Stinger :)

Austin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links