Why does it take some states SOOOOOOOOOOO LONG!

This is a discussion on Why does it take some states SOOOOOOOOOOO LONG! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've noticed that some states take many months to issue a carry permit. I just read one fellow who said NV can take up to ...

Thread: Why does it take some states SOOOOOOOOOOO LONG!

Why does it take some states SOOOOOOOOOOO LONG!

I've noticed that some states take many months to issue a carry permit. I just read one fellow who said NV can take up to 120 days for instance. Is this typical? Are some even longer? In MN it is 30 days max. I have to ask, why does it take some states so long? After all, this is the computer age. When I buy a gun the FBI check lasts about 3 seconds for me and I am not joking. We mounted a war against Iraq in less time than it takes some states to do their check(s). I consider our 30 days to be excessive if there is nothing in a persons background that needs checking. What do you all think?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I've got other things to worry about.

To be honest, I'm sure it's just that the civil servants/officers who are processing the apps are overwhelmed. That's certainly the case here in NM and in UT. And we're talking about a low priority: would you rather have actual crimes solved or background checks done? Well, the cops agree.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

I know this is a common excuse of LE.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    I've got other things to worry about.

To be honest, I'm sure it's just that the civil servants/officers who are processing the apps are overwhelmed. That's certainly the case here in NM and in UT. And we're talking about a low priority: would you rather have actual crimes solved or background checks done? Well, the cops agree.

But usually these time frames are built into the law from the legislature. I know in MN LE was complaining about how much overtime they would incur but it never happened. Now a lot may do with some states having many more permits issued than others but I still think it is an excuse to keep applicants waiting. And why would the legislature think it will take months to do a background check when as I said they are using computers?

I have a niece that did this for one county sheriff for awhile and she said it was about an hour out of her normal day. She was in one of the higher populated counties too.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Our local county sheriff and county clerk were in collusion to delay processing and also made up their own illegal rules regarding permits. They would sit on the print cards and only send them to the State Police once a month. Our state organization had to file a lawsuit in Circuit Court, and it was settled by a consent decree whereby the sheriff and county clerk agreed to abide by the law as written and to expedite the permit process.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Assistant Administrator
    We really do have apples and oranges ....... considering other end of the spectrum here in PA - my county at least. Whole deal is done in SO - fill in form, take pic - do check - pay money - issue permit. 30 minutes?!

I know beaurocracy can be slow but do feel that some very long wait periods are close to anti-gun - the way they come over.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Some states take longer. Took me 6 months, know someone who it took 11 months!
    They send info to the FBI and state, local Sheriff calls references and applicant, does background check, then it ages on Judges desk waiting for final word.
    It could take a lot less time, but isn't a priority.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Our city chief takes full advantage of renewals laws of ccw.Maine there's
    a 60 day time limit but if they run over your old permit still good
    until your new one arrives.it took 88 days for my renewal and 60 days for my first permit.You think the renewal would be quicker
    but go figure?

I believe for some states it is the state police or other state agency that handles the licensing while other states leaves it up the county. I'd imagine that the county version run more quickly due to the lower total number of applicants and 50+ people, one in each county or so, handling things instead of a few doing it for the entire state.

i believe alot of it is just a stall tactic,,,

(Sent 03/10/07 Received 07/26/07) Utah

(Sent 08/06/07 Received 08/31/07) New Hampshire

(Sent 08/16/07 Received 09/28/07) Virginia

(Sent 08/16/07 Received 09/28/07) Connecticut

Links