Blown up Walther P22

Blown up Walther P22

This is a discussion on Blown up Walther P22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been a fan of the P22, and have spoken in this forum and others about them when the subject comes up. I own ...

Blown up Walther P22

I have been a fan of the P22, and have spoken in this forum and others about them when the subject comes up. I own one, and care for a couple others as rentals at the range where I work. The rentals are extremely high mileage guns and have suffered minor parts breakage and the expected wear and tear, and have allways worked. Numerous first-time shooters have started on these pistols on our range. Yesterday, one of these first timers came out with one of the P22s in pieces. The slide had separated just behind the chamber, and had cracked across the little cut out of the loaded chamber indicator. A piece just bigger than my thumb had blown completely off. The extractor was blown off and lost, the firing pin was jammed back in the breach and was stuck. The barrel was not bulged and the barrel nut was tight. The gun was dirty, and we don't recall how many rounds it has been since cleaning. The case, a CCI Mini Mag solid, was still in the chamber and had holes blown in the rim. The magazine and frame are apparantly undamaged. It let go on about the 3rd shot. No one was injured.

To me it appears to have fired out of battery, or to have suffered a failure of a cracked slide that we did not notice prior. It is returning home to S&W next week. I did not have my camera with me, and I wont be at the range for a few days due to my real job and mandatory overtime, but I will get a picture as soon as I can. I'm hoping to find out how S&W treats this warranty-wise, and what they say the cause was. I believe I still won't be selling my P22 just yet.

Assistant Administrator
    A pic would very useful if you can. Bit of a bad do for a rimfire but ....

appears to have fired out of battery
    That does sound the most likely event considering the damage - main thing is how and why. Quite rare IMO to have .22's kabooming at all!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Weird. Seems most .22's are built so big around than small .22 round and KB would almost be impossible. it would be interesting to hear why one KB'ed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You might be surprised what's possible with a .22 cartridge. I had my G22 do the same thing...fortunately, it just blew the upper about 1/16th of an inch away from the lower, and I sent the whole thing into S&W.

I had a S&W 22 (don't know the model) do the same thing, blew the left side out right above my thumb, scared the crap out of me. S&W said that it fired out of battery so they rebuilt the gun and sent it back looking like new. Great customer service but I quickly gave the gun back to my brother and got a revolver just in case.
    Somebody kicked my dog Mavis and I'm going to find out just who the hell it was.

Links