Rust?

This is a discussion on Rust? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All, I bought a S&W M&P 9c in July and have probably fired 400-500 rounds in a half a dozen trips to the range. I ...

Thread: Rust?

Rust?

All,

I bought a S&W M&P 9c in July and have probably fired 400-500 rounds in a half a dozen trips to the range. I carry it only on weekends and some evenings (can't carry at work). I clean it religiously after each outing.

I just got back from a three day trip out of town in which I work it approximately 14 hours each day.

Tonight, I discovered a brownish-red powdery substance that appears to be rust on all three edges of the rear sights.

I used some gun cleaner and managed to get most of it off, however, where the sights meet the slide, there is still a small amount that I simply cannot get to. I removed the screw on the rear sites, but cannot get them to move.

Is this likely to be rust? Should I take it to a gunsmith to remove the rear sights so it can be cleaned? Am I don't something wrong?

Thanks,

Ken
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,
    but because he loves what is behind him."

- G.K. Chesterton [ 1874 - 1936 ]

2. Remove Ads

I don't know much about the M&P but my springfield XD gets rust on it. It was bad after a 4 day camping trip. The only solution I know of to fix it permanently is to refinish it.

IMO it's a carry gun so I would clean it, keep it lightly oiled and forget about it. As long as it's not pitting, just surface rust it's not going to hurt anything.

I do have a tube of blue wonder gun cleaner that says on the directions that it will remove rust without damaging bluing if you rub the spot with the cleaner and #0000 steel wool (available from wood working shops).

You can also try some blue wonder stuff that coats the gun. I forget the name but it's like a wax that you rub on and buff off and it's supposed to protect the finish from rust. I hear it works well but it's a pain the the you know what to apply.

edit: also clean it even if you don't shoot it. I clean my range guns if they sit in the safe for more than a couple months. I clean my carry gun, well, field strip and rub it with an oily patch, about once every 2-3 weeks or whenever i wear it and get sweaty. Salt/Sweat is the enemy.

There's a product called "Flitz" that I use to clean older guns with. It works well at getting rust off without damaging the finish. You can look over the following and see if you want to give it a try:

http://www.flitz.com

http://www.flitzusa.com/~flitzusa/sh...age=page&id=21

I'm not sure I would work too hard on a blued surface with Flitz, I would be afraid it would take off some of the blued finish. I don't know why, maybe it is because of the matte finish (holding moisture?) on sights, but it seems like if rust ever shows on any of my handguns, it's on the sights. I use FP-10 or Weaponshield and a stiff brush to remove it if any shows, but am going to try one of the wax finishes over them as additional insurance next time I have to go to a high humidity climate.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I'm not sure I would work too hard on a blued surface with Flitz, I would be afraid it would take off some of the blued finish. I don't know why, maybe it is because of the matte finish (holding moisture?) on sights, but it seems like if rust ever shows on any of my handguns, it's on the sights. I use FP-10 or Weaponshield and a stiff brush to remove it if any shows, but am going to try one of the wax finishes over them as additional insurance next time I have to go to a high humidity climate.
    I was worried at first also, however, I've not seen any significant removal of finish during use. It does put a light coating on and seems to protect over a longer period.

Administrator
    Go to the drug store and get the stiffest childrens toothbrush you can find. Dip in in Hoppes and scrub away. The brush should have no problem getting into that corner.

The lightly oil, and your golden.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sights seem most prone to rust, maybe due to lack of quality finish and rough handling (we always tend to catch the sights on corners when we bump into something). Some of my co-workers have been cleaning the sights and removing all visible rust and then dry well. They have then put a coat of "clear" fingernail polish on the sights (not on the trijicon) to add a little protective coating. It seems to be an easy/simple matter to simply re-coat them as necessary. It may not be the prefered or "Hi-Tech" solution, but a simple one.
    Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

If you can get to it with pencil eraser, you might take care of your problem.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    If you can get to it with pencil eraser, you might take care of your problem.
    Thats a good idea too, those erasers called "pink pet" works well. They have those wedge shaped ends that can get in there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for all the feedback!

Can't get in there with a "pink pearl" or "pink pet", but toothbrush seems to have done the job!

Ken
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,
    but because he loves what is behind him."

- G.K. Chesterton [ 1874 - 1936 ]

It's probably rust, I wipe my M&P9c at least twice a month with a silicon cloth. I have never had rust on mine, but heard of others who did. Good luck...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fultonian View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback!

Can't get in there with a "pink pearl" or "pink pet", but toothbrush seems to have done the job!

Ken
    Your welcome.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Rust was/is one of the problems that keeps my XD-C 40 in the safe and not in the MS VMII. Just a few days with no oil rubdown and

Now its the HK P2SK that rides in MTAC, no rust problems here.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Links