9mm AR troubles

9mm AR troubles

This is a discussion on 9mm AR troubles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm new to this forum but I was hoping to get some feedback/opinons on some troubles I am having with an AR pistol that I ...

Thread: 9mm AR troubles

9mm AR troubles

I'm new to this forum but I was hoping to get some feedback/opinons on some troubles I am having with an AR pistol that I have. The gun is a side charging handle model and my concern is that the gas key on the top of the bolt is coming in contact (read- SMASHING THE TAR OUT OF) the aluminium latch that replaces the rear charger and retains the bolt on these side chargers. It seems to me that the buffer spring is not stiff enough to slow down the rearward movement of the bolt sufficiently before it hit metal to metal. Has anyone experienced this or anything similar? Surely this can't be right. Appreciate any thoughts from you if you know ARs.

Administrator
    What brand and model are we talking about?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    www.AR15.com might be a good start for help. also if there is not a heavy buffer installed, it may help. the buffer will be stamped with an H
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The gun was assembled at a local shop called Spikes Tactical so I don't know if the model will help. Who makes side charge uppers. The logo on the side of the upper looks like VM as best I can tell.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by swerdnabor View Post
    The gun was assembled at a local shop called Spikes Tactical so I don't know if the model will help. Who makes side charge uppers. The logo on the side of the upper looks like VM as best I can tell.
    Hmm. I'm at a loss... If it was put together at a local shop, why not ask them? If anybody would know, they would.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Spikes are good people to deal with and should treat you right...have you contacted them about the problem?

I spoke with Mike yesterday at a local gunshow and a usual he was a pretty stand-up guy about his product even offering a refund if I was that unhappy with the gun, but he also said that this is kind of the nature of 9mm pistols and that they more or less all do this if you shoot them hard. That part doesn't sound right to me. I've never heard of a firearm that is designed to impact metal to metal so hard that it deforms the metal and is going to shear off part of the bolt. He said that it was the straight blowback operation of the 9mm but I have 9mm pistols that are straight blowback and none of them is about to shear off the slide, you know. I am just curious has anyone else expierienced this or no. Also does anyone know if 9mm ARs are supposed to take a special higher tension buffer spring as it seems this would greatly alleviate the problem.

Administrator
    I'm just begining to learn 9mm AR's, but I do believe they have a eavy buffer spring.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Would "VM" be "Vulcan Manufacturing"? The former Hesse Arms people?

If so, drop me a PM. A friend bought one and I can walk you through what he had to do to make it work.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Not Vucan Manufacturing. Some company out of texas. I did discover that it doesnt seem to have a Heavy buffer so I think that is where I'll start. Thanks for the thoughts

Lead Moderator
    Did you try asking on AR15.com? they are a rowdy bunch , but there are a lot of knowledgeable people over there.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I think it's VM Hytec. Does it look like this upper(it's about 3/4 down the page):

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=2&f=186&t=147417

Don't know much about 9mm ar's because I've only been able to play with one, but it looks like some folks over on ar15 have seen them.

Anywhoo, VM Hytech has a site here:
    http://www.vmhytech.com/spot.html

Might be worth it to give em a call.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sponsored Links