I've been shooting rifles for 30 years or more. Been shooting pistols for a little less and I've been CCWing since I got my LTC. I never thought of training till I spoke with other's here and on other forums. Not that I thought I "knew everthing", it just never entered my mind till the idea was put there by more experienced shooters. When NEShooters was offering a class at my local club for only $25 and my club catered luch for an additional $6. I just could not pass this up.
I entered this class with an open mind. Boy did I learn ALOT.
- Reveiw of safety rules
- Dominant eye discussion.
- Sight picture, trigger squeeze and follow through.
- Three different reloads while watching the BG and not looking at your gun.
- Clearing malfuntions while watching the BG and not looking at your gun.
- Making ready with chaimber check before holsteing you weapon.
- Proper presentation of firearm commonly refered to as draw.
- Keeping your off hand out of the way.
I have alot of homework to do and I have to start setting some goals when I have some range time. I can't wait for the next class.
Looking back now, the fact that training never entered my mind makes me feel stupid. If you have not had some formal defensive training...GET SOME. It's well worth the time and money.