Range Rules

Range Rules

This is a discussion on Range Rules within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to a range the other day to fire my new pistol. It has been years since I have actually paid for range time, ...

Thread: Range Rules

Range Rules

I went to a range the other day to fire my new pistol. It has been years since I have actually paid for range time, as I typically would just shoot out on my property. When I got there I was taken a little surprised at the 2nd rule. I'm curious if everyone experiences the same rules at their range.

Rule 1: Slides back and mags dropped. This is a no brainer with the pistol in hand and outside of the shooting box, although my pistol case is designed to only allow transport with the slide closed.

Rule 2: No cleaning your pistol or lubricating it in the building. Huh? What gives there? Ok - I can see not lubricating (or cleaning) the pistol off the range(some idiot is bound to shoot someone) but why not in the box? What would the issue be with stripping the pistol and cleaning it at the bench? I've never heard that one before, but "rules is rules". This made the shoot a bit inconvenient but fun none-the-less.

Rule 3: Implied Rule: We don't want to see your pistol / firearm outside of the range.

I realize that to safely run a range you have to run it so that the most moronic genetic mistake in town has very little chance at hurting / killing someone or (less importantly) himself. I can even see the sense of the rules they laid down, I am just curious if your local ranges have the same regulations.

I am a RO and those 'rules' make perfect sense to me (we have more rules than those). We have to go with lowest common denominator. If you're the only shooter at the range and I know that you're 'OK' we can relax the rules somewhat.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

VIP Member
    Off the top of my head without knowing anything about your range. I'll go for rule 2.

People getting solvents and lubricants all over the bench and seat. People generally being pigs and leaving all their used patches and trash in the shooting area. Someone using a BP firearm in the next station lighting the solvent on fire or the next shooter at the station used for cleaning that has solvent all over it lighting it on fire. People occupying a bench to clean their guns while shooters wait.

While I'm sure you would be conscientious unfortunately a lot of shooters are not.

I favor a cleaning room for cleaning versus at the shooting station or on the range. However most ranges I've been to will not supply such an area. I know I wouldn't due to the pigs and such with having one.

The other rules are pretty straight forward. Have the action open and no ammo in the gun or have it in a case if not on the line.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Reason for the cleaning exclusion....

Is to insure that the shooter is only there to shoot the weapon, and shoot it safely. they imply that they can go home to clean it, freeing up valuable space and range time for other shooters.

As a sideline, the other reason is simply that a lot of AD's or ND's occur "while cleaning". I attended a funeral a couple of months ago for a 3 year old girl who was killed when her father was "cleaning" his Glock 23. The round went through a wall and hit her in the head while she was playing in her bedroom. My Wife and I knew this couple, and I was asked over and over about "the Glock" and what could go wrong, since several of our friends that own or operate businesses carry them. I explained that it wasn't the gun at all, but the amount of gray matter between the ears coupled with good old fashioned common sense that defines how safe you really are with a firearm of any type.

So, my guess is they are trying to idiot-proof their range, which is OK with me.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

The range I visit has a lot more rules.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Yep - I agree with all your posts. The rules are not at all excessive and I can see the sense with each of them. I will say that I didn't consider the "slob" aspect that Scott referenced - great point. I can see how that would be an issue.

At the end of the day I guess I am lucky to have a place in the country to retreat to on the weekends to shoot.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Yep - I agree with all your posts. The rules are not at all excessive and I can see the sense with each of them. I will say that I didn't consider the "slob" aspect that Scott referenced - great point. I can see how that would be an issue.

At the end of the day I guess I am lucky to have a place in the country to retreat to on the weekends to shoot.
    Yeah I hadn't really met the slob issue face to face until I was running a range for a few years. I was a 2A absolutist when I started and came to realize that some folks just ought not own guns.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBk View Post
    I am a RO and those 'rules' make perfect sense to me (we have more rules than those). We have to go with lowest common denominator. If you're the only shooter at the range and I know that you're 'OK' we can relax the rules somewhat.

-Paul
    +1 on what Paul says. My advice: Get in good terms with the ROs and owner.

I attend an indoor range with similar and more regulations but I got to know the people there and they relax the rules somewhat for me. HOWEVER I am very wary of abusing the privilege. IE: The guys at the range know I shoot IDPA and allow me to draw and shoot which is usually a no-no. I also shoot from kneeling and sometimes prone BUT I only do this if nobody else is in the range. Somebody else comes in and I revert to follwing the rules to the letter. As a matter of courtesy, I sweep my area for brass and leave a clean lane for the next shooter.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sponsored Links