VA Comm Colleges discuss gun ban

This is a discussion on VA Comm Colleges discuss gun ban within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From www.VCDL.org: Thanks to Dexter Gumptill and Jonathan Rea for forwarding this urgent item from Virginia's Community Colleges to me. I am going to try ...

Thread: VA Comm Colleges discuss gun ban

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

VA Comm Colleges discuss gun ban

From www.VCDL.org:

Thanks to Dexter Gumptill and Jonathan Rea for forwarding this urgent
    item from Virginia's Community Colleges to me. I am going to try to
    speak at the first one tonight (7 PM to 8 PM). The more that can
    come to speak, the better. There is also an email address to send
    comments to.

Here is the current policy of the colleges:

FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS WEAPONS
    Bringing firearms and other dangerous weapons onto campus is
    prohibited. It is a violation of the rules to carry weapons or to
    leave them in a car parked on the campus. The only exception applies
    to duly sworn Commonwealth of Virginia police officers. While
    civilian-attired police officers have the authority to carry
    firearms, they must do so by keeping them concealed so as not to
    alarm others

--

Virginia's Community Colleges Seek Community Input on Campus Safety
    through Public Hearings And Dedicated Email Address
    The VCCS taskforce created to review campus safety and emergency
    preparedness procedures will hold three on-campus public hearings
    Oct. 8, 9 and 11.

Richmond - The VCCS taskforce created to review campus safety and
    emergency preparedness procedures will hold three on-campus public
    hearings to collect comments and concerns about campus safety from
    the students and families, faculty, staff and community they serve.
    A dedicated email address, myvoice@vccs.edu, is also being made
    available to collect similar comments from anyone Virginia's
    Community Colleges serve across the state.

"We want to hear from the people who learn and work on our campuses,"
    says Neil Matkin, the chairman of the taskforce. "We are reviewing
    safety procedures on our campuses and others, and examining research
    and information on best practices from national experts. But the
    people we serve day in and day out carry an important perspective
    about the safety of our campuses. We want to hear from them."

The meetings will occur the week of October 8th, in the evenings,
    from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm. The sessions will begin with a brief welcome
    and introduction from the taskforce and then focus on public
    comments. To ensure as many people as possible can speak to the
    taskforce, a time limit may be placed on individual comments. The
    meetings will occur at the following campuses:

Monday, October 8 at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College's
    ParhamRoad Campus, Building B, Room 101 (the Gallery)

Tuesday, October 9 at Northern Virginia Community College's Annandale
    Campus at the Ernst Center, in the Forum

Thursday, October 11 at Virginia Western Community College, Business
    Science Building in the Auditorium (first floor)

The taskforce, which consists of officials from throughout the VCCS,
    was formed in May to ensure that the Virginia's Community College
    campuses are as safe as they can be. The panel is reviewing
    emergency preparedness and response plans and communication
    technologies for each of the commonwealth's 40 community college
    campuses. They are also considering how information gleaned from
    Governor Tim Kaine's Virginia Tech Report can apply in the community
    college environment.

The panel is scheduled to report its findings in January 2008 to the
    Virginia Community College State Board.

About Virginia's Community Colleges: Created more than 40 years ago,
    the VCCS is comprised of 23 community colleges located on 40 campuses
    across the commonwealth. Together, Virginia's Community Colleges
    serve more than a quarter-million credit students each year. For more
    information, please visit myfuture.vccs.edu.

For more information, contact:

Jeffrey Kraus
    Assistant Vice Chancellor for Public Relations Virginia's Community
    Colleges
    804-819-4949

You can also see a posting about the hearings on the news VCCS blog
    VaHigherEd.com. You can find the posting by following this link:

http://vahighered.com/2007/10/04/hel...afer-campuses/
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

My email to the panel:

Dear safety panel,

I don't know where exactly to begin, and I cannot possibly cover everything that I want to say.

I am a Paramedic. I received my paramedic training from Tidewater Community College in Virginia Beach. I must periodically return there for continuing education.

There have been numerous occasions when, as a Paramedic, I have seen first hand the damage done to human bodies when violence is visited on victims of crime, and I do not want to become a victim of the same type of violence while I am attending classes at my community college.

It is for this reason, among others, that I choose to always carry a concealed handgun. I have attended classes at TCC while armed on many occasions, and I intend to do so in the future so long as it does not become a crime. I value my safety above your rules. I'm sure there are many other students that feel the same way as I, and act accordingly. Firearms do not commit crime. They are merely tools, which can be wielded to whatever design the bearer wishes.

As your panel is part of "HigherEdVa," please consider the following from a scientific, rather than an emotional, viewpoint. Virginia Tech was a gun free zone when Cho attacked. Well, not really. They said they were. And that made everyone feel better. Their spokesman, Larry Hincker, is quoted in a news article after college concealed carry was voted down in the General Assembly in 2005, " this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Panelists, let me say absolutely that safety has nothing to do with how anyone feels. There will always be Chos. Metal detectors and strip searches will not prevent a determined attack. Placing a SWAT police officer in every classroom will not prevent it. And certainly, putting a few more lines of ink in a student handbook will not prevent it.

As a community college system, your combined student body represents a large number of working adults. Although I feel that large university students have the same rights as everyone else, your special population cannot properly be described as stereotypical drunken and drugged exuberant youth. Your population closely mirrors the general population. Roughly three percent of Virginians have Concealed Handgun Permits (CHPs). You can expect the same percentage of your students to have these permits, however, most permittees do not regularly carry handguns. I estimate that well under one percent would be armed at any time.

You may ask, then, what's the harm in removing the handguns from this one percent. The harm lies in wait. Years could go by with no incidents. But one day, there may be a need, unmet. The only time you need a gun is when you realize too late that you don't have one.

The right to self determination, self defense, liberty, etc. comes from God. We here in America were simply lucky enough to have a few patriots that felt the need to put it in writing. Rights are not granted by man, they are violated by men. And that is exactly what this panel is contemplating. The act of stepping onto a college campus has absolutely no effect on my rights, or my probability of needing my weapon. Random crime is, well, random. Even the protectors sometimes fall victim, as we saw with Virginia Wesleyan's slain (unarmed) security officer.

Let me tell you something about CHP holders. They are law abiding citizens who voluntarily submitted to fingerprinting, costly training, application fees and police background checks, all for the "privilege" of concealing their "right." They commit crimes at a far lower rate than the citizens at large, and consistently outperform law enforcement officers in "on target" shooting in actual self defense situations.

On a slightly different topic, there exists a subset of the population that travels another route in exercising their rights. These citizens openly carry their firearms. Why? That question doesn't deserve a response. Certainly no one questions why certain citizens vote, collect entitlements, travel freely, criticize the government, or write letters to the editor. To the contrary, citizens are usually encouraged to exercise their rights. The bottom line is this: People who go to the trouble of wearing their handguns openly are the last ones who will be causing trouble. They are acutely aware that they are in a fishbowl for all to see, yet they feel so strongly about their rights that they are willing to be "on display" for all to see. They, panelists, are today's patriots, and they should be applauded, not scorned.

Certainly there are among us many who are uncomfortable when we hear things being said that are protected as "free speech." Too bad, don't listen, right? Very few people were comfortable when school integration began. Too bad. I could list more examples, but you understand the concept. Some people are uncomfortable around weapons. Too bad. No one has a right to be comfortable. History is replete with situations when exercising rights made people and everyone around them quite uncomfortable.

If nothing I have said so far has made a bit of sense, please consider this: Not allowing firearms in vehicles is simply incomprehensible. It would be bad enough to strip students of their primary means of self defense while on campus, but then to extend that prohibition to their travels? Colleges have absolutely no say in this matter. It is unconscionable. Keep in mind also that many community college students go directly from class to the hunting fields. Such a policy would create an unreasonable burden on these students.

I have only scratched the surface of reasons to counter the gut level response to "do something" when faced with such situations. It is my suggestion that there be the following policy to address the issue:

FIREARMS / WEAPONS
    1. Students are expected to know and adhere to state laws at all times as they pertain to firearms / weapons.
    2. Criminal violence will be dealt with severely, with criminal prosecution and administrative action.
    3. This institution honors all human rights as well as legislative intent. You may from time to time see fellow students exercising their rights by wearing holstered handguns. All handguns are required to be holstered at all times.
    4. Long arms are not permitted on campus outside of personal vehicles unless approved by the Chief of Security / Police or the President. Weapons in vehicles should be stored out of sight and/or locked to discourage thieves.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I took one semester of classes at NOVA. That was enough. I don't need to be bullied and threatened by thugs and then denied my carry rights. And PAY to have it happen.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I took one semester of classes at NOVA. That was enough. I don't need to be bullied and threatened by thugs and then denied my carry rights. And PAY to have it happen.
    So please,email them and leave a comment.

I didn't realize this thread was up,when I made mine? I'm not sure. Anyway, please, as a student who can't afford to goto regular (gun banning) school, I really need folks to be chiming in.

DO YOUR PART,it only takes a couple of minutes of your time,to potentially save my,or my fiancees lives.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I plan on telling them what I think at the Virginia Western Meeting.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    My email to the panel:

/snip
    Excellant (if long) letter. Here's hoping they get flooded with logic.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    w00t,glad to see some people chiming in.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

http://vahighered.com/2007/10/04/hel...afer-campuses/

Hit the link folks. We are 100% pro-gun comments, lets flood them with more. There are less than 40 posts. Show 'em you care!
    Last edited by paramedic70002; October 14th, 2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Fix link

Links