Hunting Rifle Questions

Hunting Rifle Questions

This is a discussion on Hunting Rifle Questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am trying to help my younger brother find his first "hunting" rifle. Here are the options he is looking at: Savage 111 (comes with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rifle Questions

Hunting Rifle Questions

I am trying to help my younger brother find his first "hunting" rifle.

Here are the options he is looking at:

Savage 111 (comes with a factory installed scope, which I am sure he will replace after a couple of hunting seasons.) Priced at 379.99

Remington 700 ADL- (Also comes with a scope) 459.99

What is the difference between the 700ADL and the 700BDL? My father bought a BDL a few years ago and paid between 600 and 700 for it so I was a bit surprised when the ADL was selling for 459.

Thanks for your help.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I'd go with the Savage 111, but not buy the package deal with the worthless glass on it. Somethin' like this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=82293507

Take the extra $75-100 bucks and put it towards a decent scope (Nikon buckmaster if you wanna go cheap), and good bases and rings.

Final tally should be comparable to the price on that ADL and he'll have a heck of a lot more rifle.

Administrator
    Thats soild advice above.
    "Just blame Sixto"

BlueDevil and Sixto:

The auction that BlueDevil referenced is a gun without the Accu-Trigger. Is the Accu-Trigger worth getting. Should I try to find one with the Accu-Trigger?

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Almost everyone raves about the accutrigger , personally i dont care for them. They are lighter as a rule than the standard savage trigger tho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

BDL has a little fancier finish.

I have a Savage and was very pleased with the accuracy. Get a synthetic stock. My original wood stock split when it got wet in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    BlueDevil and Sixto:

The auction that BlueDevil referenced is a gun without the Accu-Trigger. Is the Accu-Trigger worth getting. Should I try to find one with the Accu-Trigger?
    I personally like the accutrigger, does it really matter for your little-bro's 1st grocery getter....I would say no. If you can find one with the accutrigger for the same price, I'd say take it. But usually the one's without it are $50-100 cheaper, you can still adjust the trigger down to a good 3lb hunting trigger which for a new hunter is all he'll need for a long, long time. I'd say the more important thing here, which I said before is, get good glass and mounting hardware, and the package deals don't have either. If you're intimidated by having to put it together yourself, just post again when you get all your components together and I'd be happy to walk you through how to mount everything properly. Now quit sittin' around and get this stuff together so you can go get some backstraps!

The Savage is the most under-rated gun out there.
    I have a 111 package model in 25.06. Planned on replacing the scope but never have. I've taken several deer with it and it'll shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yards with my handloads.
    It's the non-accutrigger model, you can safely adjust the pull down to around 3lbs yourself. I have the instructions somewhere, I'd have to look.
    I also have an LE model in .308 with the accutrigger and like it a lot too!
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    Now quit sittin' around and get this stuff together so you can go get some backstraps!
    Aye, Aye Sir!!

Actually, I didn't get a tag this year. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time for me to hunt and I didn't want to waste the tag.

Lil Bro already got his for this year with a borrowed rifle.

Lucky Son of Gun he is!!!

Oh, well that's good, at least you're not tryin' to get this stuff together a month before season like a lot of knuckleheads do. Oh I forgot to mention, I'd reccomend burris bases and rings, they're just about all I'll use.

Senior Moderator
    What is the difference between the 700ADL and the 700BDL?
    The ADL has a magazine that feeds from the top. The bottom of the receiver is solid. It is usually not as fancy as the BDL.

The BDL has a detachable floor plate that swing open, allowing you to dump cartridges in your hand. It usually has a high gloss finish, and some extra cosmetic features.

Now, lets talk about the Savage .Yes it works. Yes they can be accurate. They are cheap, but you get what you pay for. I have worked on many Savages and they have by far the cheapest bolt on the market. Many gunsmiths wont even work on them. The best gun that Savage ever made was the Model 99 lever action in various calibers and they quit making that eons ago.

The reason that the Savage is so popular is because Walmart bought a gazillion of them and sold them cheap. For most people that might shoot a gun a few times a year at a deer they work great. For people that want the cheapest gun on the market with a cheap scope, sling and a box of ammo they work great.

For customizing they suck...which is exactly why you never see on on the competitive circuits and if you do they have been extensively rebuilt to the point that they don't even resemble a Savage.

If you are the in the majority of shooters that shoot maybe a hundred rounds a year, you'll never notice its shortcomings.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sorry you're wrong there, Some of the best gunsmiths in the country are workin' on em' and turning them into competition rifles. The gunsmiths you're dealing with probably don't work on anything but 700 actions, simply because everybody knows how to work on them and aftermarket parts are everywhere. As for competition I know personally that they are being used extensively for F-class and winning matches, I'm sure they are being used elsewhere too. As for the get what you pay for thing, It isn't always true, especially with rifles. The two best shooters over the counter right now are the Savages and Tikka's, Browning A-bolts are close behind. As for the "cheap" bolt, I assume you are refering to the floating bolt head, and it does look chinsey, but it is also one of the major reasons they shoot so darn well.

I've done a nice trigger on a Savage 111, and would be inclined to agree with HotGuns. They are cheap, serviceable, and reasonably accurate- like a WASR 10. I like them, but I can afford a bit better fit, finish, and machine work. Not at all a bad starter, and they can be top-notch with some accessories and detailing.

+1 on the Savage.

I bought mine several years ago to replace the hand-me-down rifle from my uncle. Don't even remember what make it was. an old .270 bolt action, that was just getting old.

My budget at the time was tight, so I went with the Savage package, never intending to keep the gun that long, and definitely planned on replacing the "cheap" Simmons scope.

Here we are years later, same rifle, same scope, firearm deer season is approaching, and I'm still shooting 1" groups with factory ammo.

Its taken everything I've thrown at it, and is ready for another season.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Lead Moderator
    If a less expensive rifle is idea, go for the savage. the higher end guns are tighter, machining more and may be more precise off the rack. Personally, I buy guns to last long enough I can hand em down to my grandkids.
    I would rather buy a more expensive gun once and keep it my lifetime.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links