Pros and Cons of average gun owner getting FFL?

Pros and Cons of average gun owner getting FFL?

This is a discussion on Pros and Cons of average gun owner getting FFL? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just on my myspace page and there was a link to this page there... There's a link where it says to get yourself ...

Thread: Pros and Cons of average gun owner getting FFL?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Question Pros and Cons of average gun owner getting FFL?

I was just on my myspace page and there was a link to this page there...
    There's a link where it says to get yourself a FFL before it's too late, blah blah blah, and get grandfathered in before x y z laws get enacted...

I want to know, what is involved in getting an FFL, and what are some drawbacks to getting licensed?

Is it true that you have to have a brick-and-mortar store in order to be FFL? Can having an FFL as an ordinary guy make your home subject to searches by BATFE? I ask these questions totally in the blind, but based on smidges of stuff I have heard of over the years (so I'm not alleging it's true). But please, those who are informed about this stuff, tell me if it's a good, bad or neutral idea to get FFL, and why; how hard it is; and how much I should expect it to cost.

You need an actual store with an approval by the local govt to do business as a FFL before you can get the FFL.

We have a retired machinist here in berwick that has an FFL does transfers, gunsmithing and such out of his home. So it would seem you do not need a store. I do know he said that BATFE visits and looks at his files on occasion.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

My Class III dealer works solely from his basment in the home. This is in Kentucky, so I cannot comment on the legality issues of an FFL or Class III deaership. His is Ohio Valley Exotic Weapons.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

In FL you need to show your in it to make profit now, no more back yard FFL's.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I seem to recall that you don't have to have a brick and mortar type shop but wherever it is you are subject to BATF inspection and you must have posted hours. Noon to 1 on Saturdays should work. Be careful working out of your home because if your homeowners insurance company finds out they may either cancel your poilcy or raise the rates out of site. I know a couple of business that quit handling pistols due to the insurance and hassle from BATF. Like most things it sounds good at first but dig deeper.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If your seriously thinking of getting a ffl you might find this google search interesting http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...rch&lr=lang_en

Reds blog site is at
    http://redstradingpost.blogspot.com/

I wont advise do or dont get an ffl. For myself i wouldn't have one if it were free .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

RR is right. There is no, "get it now before its too late". If the ATF decides you/your class shouldn't be licensed, its over,no deals, no appeals and no refunds. Being in possession of the license means nothing, if it is repealed.

As an FFL, all personally owned firearms are to be logged and filed with ATF. You must maintain a dealer log, accounting for all weapons received and sold, along with all yellow sheets (is it 1044s?). Yes, you must be a "business". Home-dealers are really iffy, now, since you must be in compliance with zoning and tax laws to substantiate your status, as well. If you don't, not only may you be tagged for tax fraud and zoning violations, along with HazMat violations if you have "mass quantities" of ammunition, but felonious fraud in firearms dealing (take your pick of charges).

1943 - 2009
    PJ, as a former FFL holder back in the Stone Age (the 70s), my advice is if you are not totally committed to making your living in the firearms business, do not obtain an FFL.

An FFL is not for the casual hobbyist.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

There are home bases FFLs getting approved. It depends on your state, locality, and what type of FFL you are getting. Best bet is to call the local ATF field office and ask questions. Be honest.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    another concern for the home based ffl is the fact that by having it atf needs no warrant to enter your licence address . This may not appear a big deal unless and untill you consider what you have done to your rights by having the licence and agreeing to thier " spot inspections " .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    PJ, as a former FFL holder back in the Stone Age (the 70s), my advice is if you are not totally committed to making your living in the firearms business, do not obtain an FFL.

An FFL is not for the casual hobbyist.
    Thank you for the emphatic advice.

I was not seriously considering it, just pondering. It seems that it would be far more of a hassle than a benefit, based on what I'm reading.

Sponsored Links