Cleaning problem

This is a discussion on Cleaning problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a 9mm EAA witness. I have two problems right now. I haven't detailed it for a while, and today I am... I actually ...

Thread: Cleaning problem

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Cleaning problem

I have a 9mm EAA witness. I have two problems right now. I haven't detailed it for a while, and today I am... I actually have it all taken apart in front of me now... the problem I have is stuck on, built up carbon in and around the barrel and firing pin. I clean it every time I use it, just not to the point where I tear it apart every time... and the carbon sticks... I use a regular nitro solvent and it seems to be getting some, but not all of the stuck on carbon... any ideas on how to get rig of it.

The second problem is right below the slide there is a spot of rust. It happened a few weeks ago when (stupid me) set the gun down on a night stand after I had a cold drink there right before it. Well I didn't notice it until a few nights later, and it had already done its damage. It is only a small tiny spot... but rust none the less. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    but rust none the less. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?
    Surface rust can usually be successfully removed by lightly rubbing the rust spot with the finest grade of steel wool (#0000, I believe), saturated with a few drops of gun oil, like Hoppe's or Outers.

Brownells sells gunsmith grade steel wool.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Same advice as posted for the rust. Try saturating a cleaning patch with gun oil and leave it on the carbon accumulated area for a few. hours. Then scrub it with a bronze brush. john

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Any ideas on the stuck on carbon though? I'm guessing the same as getting any rust off?

As long as the part is metal, carb or brake cleaner has worked for me in the past. I usually douse the area in question pretty well and let it set for a short while. Hose it again and go at it with my dental picks until I am happy.

DO NOT use carb or any other chlorine based cleaners on a poly gun or part as it (the cleaner) will eat plastics.

As for the rust, sound advise was given earlier. The only thing I can add is to not scrub the area. You are more or less wanting to buff the area. Scrubbing, using heavy pressure will alter the finish noticably. Also, if it is a blued gun especially, don't just buff the effected area. you will want to buff the etire piece. This way the finish remains even and the original site of rust will be much less noticable.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

An adendum to my last post, I posted that without reading the Brake cleaner thread, and my answer here was echoed multiple times there, even before I responded here.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I have been told Brownell's EZ-soak works wonders on carbon.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Links