Need For Tatical Lights??

This is a discussion on Need For Tatical Lights?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Could someone explain to me why you would use a tatical light with your handgun? I have a SureFire G2 and like it for its ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need For Tatical Lights??

Could someone explain to me why you would use a tatical light with your handgun? I have a SureFire G2 and like it for its brightness and understand it has some temporary blinding effects. I don't understand why you would want to give away your position in low light conditions. Maybe someone could shine some light on the subject (no pun intended) or recommend some web sites that cover this topic. Thanks

I think you answered your question and know already as to what the light is for. As far as giving away your position, the way I look at it is if I have come to the point of drawing my handgun, then the whereabouts of my position is mute anyway.
    Shooters Plus
    Ruger, Glock, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Springfield and many more new guns, magazines and shooting accessories.

VIP Member
    Unless you have night vision, you will need to identify your target. A light is the best tool to comply with Rule 4; Be aware of your target and what's behind it." because you cannot shoot at anything that might be in the dark.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Miggy,

Knowing your target is a great reason. That is the type of feedback that I was looking for. Do you have any web site recommendations?

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Vested,

Believe it or not, Surefire has some interesting testimonials on their website at www.surefire.com

other then that, you can definitely look into tactical training about using your firearm with a light. There are numerous companies that specialize in this :)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Unless you have night vision, you will need to identify your target. A light is the best tool to comply with Rule 4; Be aware of your target and what's behind it." because you cannot shoot at anything that might be in the dark.
    this is why I carry one. I'm a fan of off-hand illumination, though, holding the light sideways away from my body.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Administrator
    Or just use your light briefly and M-O-V-E!

For most people, there is no need for a "tactical" light, just a plan jane wally world flashlight will due just fine. The surefires and the like are nice, bright and well made but are a luxery, not a must have.

I would rather have someone buy three or four mag lights and stash them around the house before they buy one high speed low drag expensive light that they probably will never use to its potential.

FWIW, I like those cheapo plastic latern things they sell in the camping isles at any department store for household use.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I use both Surefire hand-held (G9) and a weapon mounted (X200) lights when out for a late-night look-see around the barn. I like having the option of NOT aiming my gun at any/everything I want to see, but being able to clearly illuminate any/everything I may want to shoot. Yep, they can give away my position. But if I light-you-up with BOTH sources...you can't see me or anything else very well.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Bob the Great and Sixto have my vote.

Attached lights are convenient for shooting skunks and armadillos in the yard. I don't have any though. I grew up holding a "D" cell flashlight while shooting critters at night. Guess it'd work for the two-legged types too.

No put down to Surefire I use a M6X myself but "Sam's Club" has a 1.25 watt LED flashlight selling for $18.00 out the door in a two pack that will leave you blinking spots for quite some time.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Weapon mounted lights are, IMO, for people that have a serious job that requires them to illuminate people that might kill them and have a free hand. By this I mean police officers, military, secirity guards, etc. For the casual citizen that has a carry permit, they fall into the "tacticool" category.

For a strictly nightstand gun, perfect. For an out and about carry weapon, not really practical.

I guess I am one of the few who does not subscribe to carrying a light.

Quote Originally Posted by Vested View Post
    Could someone explain to me why you would use a tactical light with your handgun? I have a Surefire G2 and like it for its brightness and understand it has some temporary blinding effects. I don't understand why you would want to give away your position in low light conditions. Maybe someone could shine some light on the subject (no pun intended) or recommend some web sites that cover this topic. Thanks

The self-defense scenario's that come to my mind, for the average person, take place in the home or on the street for the most part. Not checking around the barn or grounds in the middle of the night. If I hear noises in my house that I truly believe are a thief for example I lock the bedroom door, call 911 and announce to the intruder that I have a gun and LE is on the way. If they bust through the bedroom door they will regret it but I don't go hunting them down. I don't think it wise to go searching the house in the dark or with a light beam pointing me out to an intruder who may have a gun of their own. On the street I would think in the vast majority of cases I can see to some degree my assailant. I would hope that my situational awareness and avoidance techniques would keep me from being in complete darkness. I just don't get the necessity of carrying a light all the time.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I mostly agree with SIXTO except that I think what differentiates a "tactical" light from the wally world special is a momentary switch.

Every night shooting class or school I've ever heard of teaches that you use your light and move. But, if "using your light" means two hands to twist the minimag barrel, or constant "clickety click, clickety clack" rather than press-on, release-off you're at a disadvantage.

Having a momentary tail switch also gives you more flexibility in grip. You can use the Harries, Rogers-Surefire, off-line, etc.

I don't carry a light during the day, but when I go out in the late afternoon or evening, I always swap my dual mag carrier for a single mag + light holster.

Decent night sights are close to $100 without installation. A "tac" light will run you about $40-50 to start. If money were a factor, I'd take the light over the night sights any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Administrator
    Good point bobernet about the switch, but I think one should worry about that much later in there CCW career. For the average Joe who has little or no experiance or training, they wont use it properly anyway.

Nightsights and the flashlights are two different tools for two different tasks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Well when carry my 4" XD service I do it without my tactical light. It's only attached at night when it goes in the nightstand for the night and becomes my home defense pistol. If I am headed out at night I carry my P89 with Mepro's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links