Can someone give me a brief history lesson?

Can someone give me a brief history lesson?

This is a discussion on Can someone give me a brief history lesson? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All, Like most members here, I have a laundry list of 'want to buy' weapons. On that list is an AR-15, along with some accessories. ...

Thread: Can someone give me a brief history lesson?

Question Can someone give me a brief history lesson?

All,

Like most members here, I have a laundry list of 'want to buy' weapons. On that list is an AR-15, along with some accessories. I know there has been a lot of talk about the possibility of renewing the Assault Weapons Ban, and I know that HR 1022 is already active. I know we all think the idea of an AWB is ridiculous, and I don't know how likely it is that HR 1022 will go anywhere, but I'm still curious. So, all politics aside, my question is this:

When the last AWB was passed, how did it take effect? Did it become effective immediately after the President's signature, or did it take effect at some later time period?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how much time I'll have to react if the worst should happen and another AWB becomes a reality. Currently the AR-15 is down a ways on my shopping list, but if need be, I could go buy one on very short notice. I've done enough research and tried out enough rifles that I know what I want, I just don't want to have to wait 10 years...

Thanks in advance,

Brian

BAC
    Laws have an "effective by" date written into them.

However, I'd spend more time fighting any proposed ban than assuming it'll come anyway and promoting a defeatist attitude. Not to rag on ya, but if it's a bad law then fight it.

-B

just get the ar now, and if you think a new gun law is coming soon then buy two, lots of mags and etc. to sell one gun and most of it off when the prices skyrocket after the ban.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Laws have an "effective by" date written into them.

However, I'd spend more time fighting any proposed ban than assuming it'll come anyway and promoting a defeatist attitude. Not to rag on ya, but if it's a bad law then fight it.

-B
    I agree wholeheartedly! I've already contacted both my Senators and Representatives on the matter. And, thanks to a link posted elsewhere on DC, I've been keeping an eye on HR1022. It seems to be buried in committee for now. I'll do what I can to fight it every step of the way, but I still want to be prepared in the unfortunate event that it gains momentum.

Brian

Lead Moderator
    If it seems likely to pass, prices will most likely go way up fast.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm broke, but I picked up a mini-14 just last week.

I was too young to buy anything before the last ban, and I'm not going to be SOL when the next one hits.

It may not be the AR or M1A I want...but its better than nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    If it seems likely to pass, prices will most likely go way up fast.
    And, like last time, all the guns currently in stock will be bought up in a hurry...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Because of the time between passage and effective date on tha AWB in 1994 the manufacturers went into high gear to get as much produced as possible. In 2004 when the ban expired you could still order pre-ban magazines. There were still some in stock at distributors and manufacturers around the country.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

One other thing that you might want to consider is buying several different types of rifles or guns now. For the price of one AR a guy can get a couple of AK rifles, some magazines and a couple of cases of ammo too. If you opted for SKS carbines, you could get about 4 of them, some ammo strips and a couple of cases of ammo. Think about your long term goals or needs. Ask yourself, "Will I need more than one rifle or will one good rifle meet all of my goals?" If one will do it, go with an AR or M-4 type carbine with lots of magazines, accessories and ammo. If not, think about the AK rifles. As for me, I own several AR rifles and a couple of AK rifles.

The real question is Why? do you want it because you need it? When the last AWB went into effect I never had any type of Semi-Auto rifle. I passed on a good deal on an AK type rifle just before the ban went into effect. the whole time it was in effect I never missed not having a semi-auto. After the AWB expired I found a MAK91 at a reasonable price so I bought it and ordered 12 spare Mags from Cheaper Then Dirt, just cause I wanted one. If it ever came to a total disaster and I needed to bug out, my Mak91, and M44, plus most of my other firearms would probably hidden where I could find them later and my Bug out rifle would probably be a lever action rifle, because they are more dependable in rough use, and lighter to carry.

I would suggest that if you want one buy it now, If you plan to buy one just because you may not be able to later, don't waste your money. There are a lot of nice guns out there a lot more dependable and cheaper then an AR15 with a lot more nockdown ability as well.

One well placed bullet from a bolt action is better then 30 fired spray and pray. Ask yourself, Why?

Administrator
    Another assumption that a magazine capacity of 30 automatically equals "Spray & Pray" - A magazine capacity of 30 could mean 30 well placed bullets without having to reload. It all depends on who is sitting in the driver's seat.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I just bought my Stag Arms AR last week.

I decided about a year ago that I would have one before GW was out of office because I am convinced (I hope I am wrong) that the next Madam President will get her Hubby's gun ban back into law, (it was probably her gun ban in the first place).

Once I had the cash it took my dealer 2 days to get the weapon.

My guess is if the ban is put back into law that my $900 weapon would cost $1500, and my 2 days would stretch out to two or three months or not at all.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I think that if you wait until an AWB is looking to be a likelihood, to say nothing of a certainty, you will already be looking at greatly increased prices.

By the time it's looking like there'll be another ban, sellers will already be pricing based on scarcity.

Just buy a receiver & you've got the only part that requires a serial number (and an FFL). While the "finishing components" may go up in price if you wait...there'll be no legal restriction in completing your rifle after the ban.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links