Interesting new submachine gun

This is a discussion on Interesting new submachine gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Daddy, can I have one for Christmas? http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...495&ran=238163 The video is a little sensationalized but it's an interesting concept....

Thread: Interesting new submachine gun

Interesting new submachine gun

Hey Daddy, can I have one for Christmas?

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...495&ran=238163

The video is a little sensationalized but it's an interesting concept.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I agree it’s an interesting concept but after looking at the video and the cutaways of the mechanism in operation I wonder how reliable it would be in dusty or sandy conditions. I am no machinist but I would think such a system would require very close tolerances to function and very frequent cleaning and lubing.

While this is an interesting concept and could be a great tool in building clearing scenarios where BGs and hostages may be in close proximity to each other (because of the reduced muzzle rise, not the rate of fire), I can't see this mechanism being incorporated into anything other than a shoulder fired weapon. It would appear much too bulky to ever be designed into a handgun let alone a CCW.

I also fail to see the advantage to any magazine fed firearm with a cyclic rate of 1500 rpm. At that rate a 30 rnd. mag would be empty in 1.2 seconds. A 100 round drum would be empty in 4 seconds. At that rate of fire, 100, 30 rnd magazines would only give you 2 minutes of actual firing time and you would be carrying well over 120 lbs of weight. If this firearm doesn't incorporate some type of burst-fire mechanism, it would appear that on any type of extended engagement, you would have to leave the weapon on semi-auto or you wouldn't be able to carry enough ammunition. Maybe some of you guys who have been in actual combat can explain the advantage of having a weapon with such a high cyclic rate that you would virtually need a new 30 round mag for each bad guy encountered. With the reduced recoil of this firearm, it would seem to me that mechanically reducing the cyclic rate to something like 300 rpm would make for a much better weapon.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    now now, guns are bad we dont need to talk about them.. JK all joking aside... its nice but i dont think that it will go very far, due to the factors already listed
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

The KRISS gun has been in various forms of development since the mid 90s when it first debuted.
    It's a real deal product and if you check around there is much in the way of information toward it and has been featured in multiple local (VA & DC) articles through the years as well as national attention including recently a feature spot on 'Future Weapons'.

It's rate of fire is max not absolute.
    It can be by operator selection reduced down and fired in burst as well as normal/non-auto fire too.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Does that mean I can have one for Christmas???
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Seeing this product for the first time in my interview, I was sold," Maffin said. "It's got the knockdown power a lot of guys want."
    Translation= It's a SMG in .45acp, for all of those who have been dreaming of the return of the M3 Grease gun!

Indeed, this show's always a little sensationalized (the host's "THIS is the coolest thing EVER!!" inflection always gives me the giggles), but it does appear to be a viable platform, especially if rate of fire is selectable, per Janq's report.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I remember this gun. I think I saw it at TREXPO in Dulles. IIRC it accepts Glock 21 Mags.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunmaglas View Post
    Indeed, this show's always a little sensationalized (the host's "THIS is the coolest thing EVER!!" inflection always gives me the giggles), but it does appear to be a viable platform, especially if rate of fire is selectable, per Janq's report.
    You get "the giggles"? For real? I don't think I would have mentioned that here - you have no idea what you might set yourself up for!

I think the concept is pretty cool...something to be built upon, perhaps?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Second Job

I guess I would have to get a second job delivering pizzas so that I could afford to by the ammo that it spit out. Looks like it would be hard to conceal even in one of those pizza insulators on the delivery.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You get "the giggles"? For real? I don't think I would have mentioned that here - you have no idea what you might set yourself up for!
    I never laugh at an ARMED man who wants to giggle.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I remember this gun. I think I saw it at TREXPO in Dulles. IIRC it accepts Glock 21 Mags.
    Rob,

It was on display at TREXPO East (Chantilly, VA) like 2 yrs. ago IIRC.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

No giggl'n Gerdies will be allowed in this forum!!!

Links