Quality of guns sold by Wal Mart ?

This is a discussion on Quality of guns sold by Wal Mart ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know that some Wal Mart stores don't carry guns anymore, of course some still do, and they seem to have pretty cheap prices. A ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of guns sold by Wal Mart ?

VIP Member

Quality of guns sold by Wal Mart ?

I know that some Wal Mart stores don't carry guns anymore, of course some still do, and they seem to have pretty cheap prices. A friend and I were talking the other day and he mentioned that some of the gun manufacturers made cheap models for Wal Mart to be able to sell cheaply. I did a little internet research on it and I found this excerpt that some guy had written:

First and foremost, most of the firearms carried by Wal-Mart stores are the lowest grade available from the manufacturers, and many are "Wal-Mart Specials." The latter are made for Wal-Mart to sell at a lower price than would be available for a similar model from local retailers. Unlike the shotguns and rifles that Sears had manufactured for their stores by Winchester, et al, which had a lot of extra "bells and whistles," Wal-Mart specials are little more than barreled actions fitted to a cheap stock with even some standard features omitted. If you think I am exaggerating, ask any gun dealer (retailer, wholesaler, or broker) and they will tell you that the Wal-Mart special guns have very low resale value compared to "regular" firearms.

So I'm wondering if I bought a Remington 700 from Wal Mart and went to a "real" gun store and bought the same Rem. 700 are they exactly the same gun? Is there something in the model or serial number that designates it as a "Wal Mart" gun. Or is it the lack of certain features? Or maybe there's no such thing as a "Wal Mart Special"?

I also read this in the same article:

Not long ago, Wal-Mart announced that they would stop carrying rifles and shotguns at some of their stores to concentrate on other sports equipment. Reading between the lines, I predict that the retail giant will ultimately stop carrying all firearms and ammunition. The reason given by Wal-Mart was the market demand in local stores. I personally believe the decision was made, in part, due to their corporate anti-gun mentality. Of course, I can't prove that, but my daddy told me that if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck. (The fact that Wal-Mart is a major contributor to the Brady anti-gun organization might also be a hint. -Ed.)

Has Wal Mart really donated to the Brady bunch? Can this be researched about who all are Brady donors?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

The only gun I can speak with experience about is the Marlin 336. The model Wal-Mart sells is the 336W and does not come with the walnut stock while most gun stores sell the 336C which does have the walnut stock. There are a couple of other minor differences also. You can find both models on the Marlin Home Page but I don't think you can order the 336W at a gun store.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    " Wallyworld " guns are the same as any other . The cheap comes in the power of mass buying , and on the " box sets " of rifle and a cheap scope combining the cheap buying power to sell a fair value for the bucks . If you get a gun from wall mart it is the same gun you get from any big box shop , or for that matter from gunbroker , or your local store . it has the same warranty ect.. I wont start on if you should buy wallyworld rather than a local shop ( and pay more at the local shop ) issue , but i will assure you its the same gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I bought a Rem. 700 30.06 about 10 years ago from Wal Mart. Use it for Kansas whitetails. It is a great gun. It had the same warranty as any other place I would buy from. The only place that sold firearms at that time in my town was Wal Mart and a couple pawn shops. Pawns wanted twice what I paid for it at WM. Most places buy guns by the train car load. Wal Mart buys them by the whole train load. That lets them sell cheaper to us. I wish there was a place in town, a little place, that did firearms, they would get a lot of my money, but WM is the only player in town. Can't beat their prices.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

My remington 870 and marlin 30-30 came from wally's. I dont like the pawn shops in the area so I dont mind buying from Wal Mart.

If I want to buy a nice gun I won't really peruse Walmart. The only gun related items that I buy there at Walmart are bricks of 22 LR, bulk 9mm and Hoppe's Number 9
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Having worked for Wal-Mart Corp. for over eight years (I just retired three weeks ago), I think I can speak to this issue. I have, over many years, purchased several rifles and shotguns from Wal-Mart,and every single one of them gave excellent value for my limited funds, and I have always tried to price the same models, etc. in the local stores before buying. I have inevitably found that for the same model and features, Wal-Mart always beats the competition! In fact, I just bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem. Mag. from the local Wal-Mart for $400.00, when the same rifle from my local gunstore would have cost me over $650! Of course I didn't tell them I was pricing them against Wal-Mart, as I do get tired of all the grousing and lies they try to tell me about how cheaply made the "Wal-Mart specials" are. By the by, I sighted in my new Weatherby and then tried some of my tried and true 7mm Mag handloads at 100 yds and was rewarded with a group of a little over 3/4" for three rounds. Not bad for a "Wal-Mart special." I will tell you one thing, however: If you want a good buy from Wal-Mart stores or their catalog (some have even hinted they are not ordering any more guns from their catalog), you had better do it soon, because I have heard from some who worked with me at Wal-Mart that they were slowly trying to withdraw from the firearms market. This is not official, of course, but I take it for what it's worth.

Administrator
    Wouldnt it go model by model, not every gun on a whole? We know that the Marlin 336 is a slightly lesser model, and I'm sure others are too. That doesnt mean that every make and model are less quality. I have known Walmart to have the upgraded versions from time to time. The best part is, Walmart doesnt know that or they dont care, and the price remains the down graded price.

Once in awhile I'll find a new beater shotgun at walmart, its no different than any other. I typically buy Mossberg 500's for a cheap bird gun from wally world.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I do my best to stay out of WalMart and have never purchased firearms there. A newby shooter showed up at the gun club a while back with a Marlin Model 336 .30-30 that had killer walnut on it. Showed really outstanding figure and contrast. I was envious of his stock. Ask him where he got it and he said WalMart.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO dhberry posted a great summation of the situation . For local value there is not a choice , it may not be " the gun " you were looking for , but its only a step down or so . On common ammo again it cant be beat .. and why not pick up your cleaning supplys ect.. while you are there ( tho if you shop you will find that accesserys are not as competitive as ammo and guns ) . Now i happen to think that wall mart is great for the consumer , but i also think that on firearms i support my local mom and pop shop , at least half of my ammo purchaces go to mom and pop also . I pay more by doing this , but i also help keep a shop alive , a shop that has free coffee for me to loaf in , and only charges me insticheck fees ( $5.00) for transfers on guns i trade online . I guess my feelings are that if you truely cannot afford to get it from your local shop , well then get it from a big box ( such as ganders , wallmart , sportsmans wearhouse , ect.. ) . However if you can afford mom and pop stores they are worthwhile to shop at if you can .
    I have been " poor " most of my life ( at least with disposable income ) and i look down on no one for buying anywhere , but anymore local gunshops are closing doors and it is up to us customers to keep them alive , in spite of the fact they cannot sell with the big box concerns that buy a rail car load of any one model at a discount . Buy your stuff where you need to , but please buy what you can at a small local shop where you are not just a customer , and corperate policy does not force a manager to carry your purchace to the doors , no matter your worth .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    The Remngton 870 Express and the Beretta 391 are the exact same no matter where they are bought. That was asked when I attended a armorers course at the Beretta factory. We were told that Beretta does not cheapen the gun for any seller. They want the end user to have a top quality Beretta just as if you went to a gunshop.

The first gun I ever bought was a Mossy 500 (wood stock). Bought it at Wally World for $189 about 12 or 13 years ago. The gun was no different than any of the other 500's on the market, unless you went to an upgraded model. Gun still works like a champ.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member Redneck Repairs is right on in his recommendation that we try to give as much of our business as we can to our local "mom & Pop" gunstores. To put this in perspective, I have purchased 6 firearms and lots more supplies (I reload) in the past 2 years, and only two firearms and maybe a third of my supplies came from Wal-Mart. Yes, there are things they just don't (or can't) sell at Wal-mart, such as personalized service and specialized products, which may both be more than worth the difference in price to you. We in Cheyenne, Wyoming are blessed in having at least three really good "Mom & Pop" gunshops. Every one has proprietors who are very knowledgeable, patient and mature in their relationships with their customers. I can only wish you could all be so fortunate.
    "Non Illigitimum Carborundum"

Redneck hit it they are he same quality guns

some are different like the stainless with 20" barrel 10/22 i got from there at the time you couldn't get them anywhere else

a Gun maker is not going to make a lower quality gun and sell it at walmart think of the lawsuits if something goes wrong

I am more than happy to shop at a locally-owned store. However, if they can't be price competitive with a national chain, the local store still needs to provide me with some form of value to offset the price disadvantage. Being locally owned by itself is not going to be a selling point with me and they will not get my business without a value proposition.
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145