M65 S&w

This is a discussion on M65 S&w within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a nice looking used M65 S&W 4" Stainless today. Cost me 345.00. In great shape. I'm using this for a car gun, and ...

Thread: M65 S&w

M65 S&w

I bought a nice looking used M65 S&W 4" Stainless today. Cost me 345.00. In great shape. I'm using this for a car gun, and for camping/hikes. The model I have was a prior State Dept gun and is the style prior to the M65 with the locking device. I believe it's a labeled M65-4 on the frame behind the cylinder.

What do you folks think of these models? What are some good ammo choices for self defense?

The action seems really nice, and since this is my first S&W revolver I wondered if having a professional gunsmith do an action job on it (not to reduce double action pull, but to make it smoother. Is this a worthwhile venture or do these triggers come with all this work done already and about as good as they can be.

I can't wait to fire it Friday. I've got a box of generic 357 mag 158gr jacketed soft points to function test with it. But will likely use some sort of premium 125gr hollowpoint for self defense purposes. I though I'd use heavier bullets when camping though.

David
    Slidell LA

SA XD45 Service
    1991 Colt A1 Commander
    S&W M65 SS 4"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    The model 65 is a very good gun. I have a 3 inch, heavy barrel, round butt model that I sometimes carry concealed. A good many of the 4 inch models were used as uniformed duty weapons by law enforcement. If you wish to carry it concealed and don't want an IWB holster I would like to recommend the Bianchi pancake style. I have one for a 4 inch model 10HB. As far as having a gunsmith do a trigger job, take it to the range first. You may find that it shoots just fine the way it is right now. Does it have the heavy or light (pencil) barrel? If this is your first revolver you could not do much better than the S&W K-frame line of 357's.

Shoot it a while first. S&W revolvers wear in not out. I'm not too keen on so-called "action jobs" on S&W or Colt revolvers. More trouble than they're worth. I agree with Black Knight that you found yourself a deal on a really first rate revolver.

Trigger job

I recommend the action job. I've done some kind of work to all of my S&W revolvers. A properly done smoothing job should not compromise reliability. Changing springs and some other stuff is more difficult and could make the gun less reliable if done improperly. Couldn't hurt to ask a gunsmith's opinion.

VIP Member
    Good gun....I have one with a 3" barrel.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

thanks for the advice. It has the "bull" barrel, not the tapered/thin one.
    I had a gunsmith look at it and said it was a typical example of a S&W that comes out of a police dept: a few nicks here and there, but otherwise it was in "brand new" mechanical shape. He saif he could easily polish out nicks when I have it bead blasted later on.

I think the action is fine, I just wanted opinions in whether an action job to smooth out the double action pull would be worthwhile. It seems to have a great trigger job already as compared to my wife's Taurus 85.

I may get a holster designed for car carry and one to use more for open carry when on hunting/fishing events. I live in Louisiana and we can carry open. Not too big a deal out here.

One more question: Can I buy a 3" barrel and replace the 4" barrel?
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    You might be able to find a 3" barrel but you might ruin any possible collectors value in it. Try to keep it as original as possible. Police agency guns have many collector avenues available. Some agency guns are highly prized while others are just so-so. Also it's not as hard to conceal a 4" as some make it out to be. The right holster, belt, clothes, and body style are the key. Even if your body style doesn't work for one method of concealed carry it should work for another. I have been carrying concealed for about 20 years. I am 5'8" and 210 lbs. and have been able to conceal revolvers from a 2 1/2" S&W 66 to a 6" Colt Python. Right now I seem to carry a 4" Colt Python more often with no problems at all. Good luck and enjoy.

If I buy a 3" barrel, I still keep the 4" in case having to go back to the original meant recouping money in the event of a sale or if the model became a valuable enough to warrant putting the original barrel back on.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

If you want a 3" Model 65 go buy one.

I would not go to messing with the barrel and changing it. BTW, congrats on a fine "fighting handgun". Now shoot the dang thing and leave the barrel alone is my vote.

If you want to change something, send it back to S&W and have them "Bob" the Hammer and render it DAO. It makes for a better carry set up that way and looks neat too.

Biker

That's cool beans Black Knight! A 4-inch Python. A bit larger than a 4-inch Model 10 HB. You're well armed in a classy sort of way.

You're right about 4-inch concealability. As neato as snubbies are they frequently don't hide any better than their 4-inch brethren.

:) I'm all for shooting it! I don't mess with a gun until I shoot it a lot and try then to fix something only what needs fixing or adjusting. I was just daydreaming more or less. I do love a 4" revolver over a snub nose. I've never tried to carry one concealed, but it seems from the replies that they are easy enough to do.

Another thing I'm wondering about is which type of ammo it is designed to shoot better 125 or 158gr. With the fixed sights it has, I wondered how I can expect each type to shoot. I'll likely use 125 gr for personal defense and 158 gr when on fishing/hike/hunts.

Since I'm not after 25 yd accuracy but rather under 10 yd accuracy, I figure the difference may be negligible.

I know ammo choices are extremely variable with regards to scenario, but I was looking for a general answer in regards to these two bullet weights.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you want a 3" Model 65 go buy one.

I would not go to messing with the barrel and changing it. BTW, congrats on a fine "fighting handgun". Now shoot the dang thing and leave the barrel alone is my vote.

If you want to change something, send it back to S&W and have them "Bob" the Hammer and render it DAO. It makes for a better carry set up that way and looks neat too.

Biker
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

I have a Stainless 65 4" from Toledo Ohio P.D. I polished it with Flitz. It looks good and shoots good.

Links