FFL NICS charges

FFL NICS charges

This is a discussion on FFL NICS charges within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Most FFL around here charge $20-$25 to receive and register a pistol from another FFL and I notice that some have a sign saying they ...

Thread: FFL NICS charges

FFL NICS charges

Most FFL around here charge $20-$25 to receive and register a pistol from another FFL and I notice that some have a sign saying they charge $20-$25 to do a background check but is waived if you purchase a gun and are cleared. I have no real problem with that but was wondering if a FFL is charged for a NICS inquiry. In SC your CWP will take the place of the NICS check so does the FFL save $ on that or just the trouble and aggravation of doing the check?

I notice that in some states they charge an extra $5 for the NICS check.

There's no charge to the dealer for a NICS check, the dealer is just making you pay for his time and inconvenience.

I can find a few places within a half hour drive of here that will do transfers for $10, sometimes that goes up to $10.60 with sales tax. However, $20-$25 doesn't seem unreasonable.

The sign about the NICS charge being waived if you're approved is interesting. Probably to discourage felons or other "prohibited persons" from wasting the dealer's time doing checks for nothing. Can't say I blame them for that.

I do transfers on a regular basis for $20. No we don't get charged for it by the ATF or any other alphabet agency, but we do charge for the time. I wouldn't call it an inconvenience.

If you buy your firearm from me, there is no transfer fee.

Your dealer isn't trying to get one over on you.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member
    I charge $25 for a transfer except for LEOs. I charge LEOs $10. There is no charge for the forms nor the call to NICS. We do have to maintain our bound book and keep the 4473 on file. So part of the charge is for the record keeping.

In some states where the state handles the checks they charge the dealer a fee.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Thanks and I don't want to sound like I was objecting to the fee at all. I was just curious and think the $20 or so fee is quite reasonable. If it was so easy every idiot would be able to do it. I try to give the local guys my business unless it is some thing they can't get or a completely unreasonable price difference.

The sign about the fee waiver is just what you said about people knowing they won't get approved but trying to. One dealer in town has a sign saying only one gun per week. Doesn't really stick to it but does give him an out and some leverage on straw purchases.

We have a dealer here in Ridgeland, MS that charges $50.00 per transfer. I haven't and most likelly won't buy a firearm from this dealer as his prices are also too high IMO. I don't know if the dealer waves the fee for permit holders.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

I doubt it.

The charge is for a Transfer, not a 4473 and NICS check. And all a CWP lets him (and you) out of is the phone call.

The FFL has to recieve the gun, enter it into his Bound Book, then transfer it out to you in his bound book and file the form. He also loses a sale where he could have made a profit in some cases.

Look at it this way... it's a fee for his services to help him maintain his FFL license and his "brick and mortor" and all its associated costs which all costs money to do so that you have a place to receive firearms legally.

Sponsored Links