Does anybody just plink anymore?

This is a discussion on Does anybody just plink anymore? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With all the talk of tactical training, stopping power, self defense etc. does anybody just go out the the range for pure enjoyment of it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody just plink anymore?

Administrator

Does anybody just plink anymore?

With all the talk of tactical training, stopping power, self defense etc. does anybody just go out the the range for pure enjoyment of it anymore?

I do. I love to take my .22's and just tear up the plinking range. I forget about all the mumbo jumbo we preach about so much, and just shoot cans, steel plates or whatever. I really dont plink with anything but .22's anymore.

Whats your favorite plinking guns? I really like my Ruger 22 pistols, of course the 10/22's and my absolute favorite rifle the T/C classic.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    All the time. I try not to ever take anything so seriously that I know longer enjoy it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

my ruger mark III, wife's 10/22, 'nother crap remington semi-auto rifle, and an old Winchester model 1890 gallery gun. Picking up another swinging target stand this weekend for Sunday. Maybe another brick of long rifles. Just flat fun.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

I use my Ruger MkII and my Ruger 10/22 for plinking. Sometimes I plink with my old 6" Model 19 S&W using WWB 38sp. Cheap shooting and good fun. Here lately I tend to limit serious practice shooting to about 50 round sessions as shooting off hundreds of rounds in practice tends to get mindless and mechanical and thus counter productive.

Administrator
    Oh the swinging steel- Tons of fun!
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Yea Six,I plink all the time with my 10/22,marlin 60,rossi pump .22's...man o man can a person go thru the ammo.....I just love buying brick after brick of .22's for less than ten bucks!
    And talk about blasting stuff! Melons,Cans,Milk jugs,golf balls...This is just pure Ecstasy,this much fun should be a mandatory life experience!

Wish I had a closer place to plink. Once or twice a year I go to some land that belongs to a friends' family. We shoot everything we have at anything we can find. Last tiem I went to change a target tacked to a small (3 or 4 inches) tree and the tree fell over when I touched it. Scared the heck out of me, but pretty funny.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I still do all the time, especially since I've had my suppressor. It just makes it that much easier. Since it's so quiet I don't need "ears". It's a walther P22 with a Gemtech OutbackII suppressor. I typically use CCI CBLongs for my subsonics. Although, they don't have enough ooph to cycle the action so it's a one shot deal with those before you have to re-rack again. Any other time I just use whatever standard .22 round I can find at a reasonable price.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Wish I had a closer place to plink. Once or twice a year I go to some land that belongs to a friends' family. We shoot everything we have at anything we can find. Last tiem I went to change a target tacked to a small (3 or 4 inches) tree and the tree fell over when I touched it. Scared the heck out of me, but pretty funny.
    Been there! This happened a number of times when I used to shoot out at my grandparents property. We shot way too many trees down. And they were not small tree's either (3-4' diameter old growth stuff). It sort of became a game to see how long it would take them to fall. BTW - Pine doesn't hold up too well to multiple 12g slugs...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    I plink with my .50

trees last no time at all...

for that matter, neither do rocks...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I love to go plinking when I can great fun. I have been shooting that 460 I won lately with 45 colt ammo. Practically no recoil great fun, shoot at tin cans. I am looking to get a 22 pistol sometime soon as the 45 colt can ammo adds up. May look at getting some steel targets, assuming they allow them at the range, tend to be picky at some ranges around here. I sometimes long for the days when I was growing up and could go out in the back yard and shoot whenever and at whatever I wanted.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    My life-long favorite gun, which I still have/use, is a Remington Model 121 pump rifle. It's no telling how many rounds I've fired through it as a kid. I could always count on my Dad giving me a carton of 10 boxes of 50 each 22LR. Near my grandparents place, in the country, was an unofficial dump area in the middle of nowhere. Local beer joints would haul their empties there and dump them out. Targets galore ! BTW it's all cleaned up and gone now......but still good memories remain with "fun at the dump".

As far as plinking today, not quite as much, I'm older and busier, but we still get together and have informal shooting matches from time to time, especially with .22s.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    As far as plinking today, not quite as much, I'm older and busier, but we still get together and have informal shooting matches from time to time, especially with .22s.
    Speaking of informal matches, I've found the Ruger Rimfire Challenge. It looks like a ton of fun, maybe I'll get one going at our club.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Absolutely! We've got a small(12 acre) piece of land in the Thumb, and we end up "plinking" with anything and everything: .22's, .38/357, 9mm, .44mag., .40. Even a little shotgun and rifle shooting once in a while. What a hoot!

The reason why I bought a new Ruger MKIII Hunter was so I could plink more.

I still shoot the 9mm, 357/38 and my .45, but that ruger is just as much fun.

I can shoot way more and not think about how much it is costing me to shoot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links