ruger single six .22/.22 magnum upgrade??

This is a discussion on ruger single six .22/.22 magnum upgrade?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since this is my 1st post, I'll try and keep this short and simple. My wife recently aquired her fathers 1953-72 era Ruger Single Six ...

Thread: ruger single six .22/.22 magnum upgrade??

Question ruger single six .22/.22 magnum upgrade??

Since this is my 1st post, I'll try and keep this short and simple. My wife recently aquired her fathers 1953-72 era Ruger Single Six revolver with both the .22 and .22/magnum chambers. She has limited experience with this gun from her days living at home, and remembers her father mentioning that this gun -HAD NOT- recieved the safey upgrade he was notified of many years ago. What upgrade? I found a pdf manual on-line, and it simply states that one was available for those guns with the serial N0# below 62,00000 and this one is well below that, but doesn't say what the upgrade was?
    She plans to use this gun when we shoot at our local range, I'm just getting started with my Beretta 92 9mm, and admitedly have limited experience with revolvers (I started shooting with her brother's Ruger .22 MarkII ), what should we watch for?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by cupsz71; October 21st, 2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: cant spell
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

2. Remove Ads

The upgrade had to do with the safety of the revolver's hammer resting on a live round when loaded. Most of us in the old days carried our six guns with only 5 shots, leaving an empty chamber for the fireing pin to sit on. Ruger came out with a 'striker plate' which only is engaged when the trigger is pulled, and therefore the firearm is more safely carried with a full six load. There IS a chance that the firearm will fire if the hammer gets bumped or hit or dropped while sitting on a live shell. Not a great chance, but it is there. All my old Rugers, (many years old), are unmoded, as I don't want to mess with a three screw, but my new Rugers, including my Single Six, came from the factory with the mod already in place. Ruger will still modify, at no charge, any Ruger firearm that is capable of the modification. Your choice. Carry 5, stay alive. But the mod will give you that extra round.

Lightbulb re: ruger .22/.22 magnum upgrade

Ok, that makes sense now. I did some further digging on-line late last nite, took a serious closer look at the gun itself and with what you've mentioned helps puts it all in place. (playing "catch-up" with revolvers) I'm think'n we'll be pushing to get the upgrade from Ruger sooner than later. The gun is in pristeen condition, and I think her dad didn't want to "mess" with it for nostalgia sake (it was his first pistol) and I believe he felt it would "de-value" the gun itself. Me......not so much. Besides since its hers now, and her safety is my only priority.
    Oh, - dumb question - do I actually contact Ruger and try to send the gun away myself, or can a local gun dealer (Sheels/Cabela's) send it for us? - I've never tried to"mail" a weapon and I'm pretty sure the post office or FEDEX might get cranky.
    Thanks!!
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS

you can send it back to Ruger your self call them .. I wouldn't have it done myself if i want a shooter i would go out and buy one it does devalue the gun and also changes the internal working some usually the trigger action is not as smooth

If 'twere me, I feel the collector value outweighs being able to carry that 6th round. (someone feel free to correct me here as it's been a while since I carried a single action) If I remember correctly, open the loading gate, load one round, skip one, load the next 4 chambers, rock the hammer back and ease it down. That places the empty chamber under the hammer.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 1911NM View Post
    If 'twere me, I feel the collector value outweighs being able to carry that 6th round. (someone feel free to correct me here as it's been a while since I carried a single action) If I remember correctly, open the loading gate, load one round, skip one, load the next 4 chambers, rock the hammer back and ease it down. That places the empty chamber under the hammer.

No need to correct thats the way i was show how to do it also

The wife wins. She's taken taken her dad's side with the whole nostalgia and value issue. (oooh the grief I got with my...attitude!) She has no problems with using the gun "as-is" at the range for now. And it was given to her.

- oh and thankyou 1911NM for the loading sequence!! (remember - revolver "catch-up")

oh almost forgot...while I'm on the subject, as I stated earlier, the gun is in great shape but.....how do I say...it's filthy! I went down to my local sporting goods/gun dealer this morning and talked to their resident gun geru and he suggested to pull off the grips and soak the entire gun down with a can of WD-40 then let sit overnite. Then clean with the usuals - gun solvents/brushes/wipes/oil/etc..... WD-40!?

I know it's a solvent and a strong penetrating oil - for BOLTS, oh and works good for arthritis....but isn't this a harsh method of cleaning?

I'm just trying to get a feel as to what other's experience might be on this.

I'm starting to think that I just should of let her pick out a small semi-auto to start out and put this one it in a glass show case.
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS

Thank you, and thanks to Bud for confirming my failing memory. I think others here might suggest CLP or something else for cleaning old oil and grime off than WD-40, but yes, a thorough cleaning and light oiling with a synthetic that won't attract dust would make it a more attractive show piece. If you do a search here, there are a number of cleaning threads regarding abilities and limitations of diff. cleaning products. As usual YMMV. Have fun, and on this one, I am personally glad you are keeping this old 3 screw original.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

I wouldn't change that gun, either. For its purpose, the extra round doesn't really matter, since it's for targets and plinking. For a self-defense weapon, that's another kettle of fish.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

When Ruger does the upgrade retrofit to safely carry 6 rounds they return the original parts that they've replaced with the new stuff. There's no loss in Collector Value because the retrofit can easily be "un-retrofitted" to its original configuration with those same original parts and you'll be unable to tell they were ever gone. There's no downside to the upgrade, nothing but one more round & a safer revlover.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    When Ruger does the upgrade retrofit to safely carry 6 rounds they return the original parts that they've replaced with the new stuff. There's no loss in Collector Value because the retrofit can easily be "un-retrofitted" to its original configuration with those same original parts and you'll be unable to tell they were ever gone. There's no downside to the upgrade, nothing but one more round & a safer revlover.
    Sorry, but no. They used to return the parts, but I just had experience with a fellow who sent his inherited firearm away and it came back sans old parts. When contacted, a Ruger spokeperson said it WAS because people were retrofitting the gun back to its original condition, and if any miss-fire resulted they were afraid of a lawsuit. So NO more returned parts.

Very sorry for the BAD INTEL. I don't know when their policy changed but I do apologise. When you get as old as me, you begin to take common sense too much for granted. I should know better.
    What if you took the effected parts out of the pistol BEFORE returning it to Ruger for "repair"? It's not like they're gonna' come to your house looking for 'em. Well, at least not YET anyway. That way, you can have your cake...
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Three screw Rugers have become collector's items now, especially the early ones. Learn how to be safe, and leave it as is.

Please don't dunk the gun in some kind of cleaner. Get some information on how to disassemble it completely and do it the right way. It's an ideal first project because it's easier than most. Go on the Brownell's website and get some proper screwdrivers and an M16 toothbrush. Clean everything with solvent and lubricate sparingly during reassembly. Instructions should be available online via Google. You'll have a good time doing it and learn something on the way.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Links