Packing Heat - No Apologies

Packing Heat - No Apologies

This is a discussion on Packing Heat - No Apologies within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Life as it should be. http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695220748,00.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Packing Heat - No Apologies

Way to go...
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

VIP Member
    Some seriously misguided stuff in the comments section, though. I wonder how many of them are actually from Utah...if they are that gun-phobic in the vast expanses of the West, what chance do the rest of us have?

I especially liked the one about "places where guns are totally restricted being the safest on earth." Wonder if that poster would like to come hang out in a Rio favela for a while - it fits the "total ban" requirement, but I think they'd find it fails the "safe" one quite badly.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Thats a piece for 20/20 or 60 minutes....great stuff !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

nice! good to here some decent press.
    although some of the comments made me gag

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Some seriously misguided stuff in the comments section, though. I wonder how many of them are actually from Utah...if they are that gun-phobic in the vast expanses of the West, what chance do the rest of us have?

I especially liked the one about "places where guns are totally restricted being the safest on earth." Wonder if that poster would like to come hang out in a Rio favela for a while - it fits the "total ban" requirement, but I think they'd find it fails the "safe" one quite badly.
    Yeah, was gonna comment on some of the fear comments. Makes me sad while at the same time I have to laugh at the irrationality of them.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Get this piece of work!!?

Its just sad when people feel like they have to be armed to go out with their family. I really don't like the idea of going out to dinner and having someone sitting beside me with a gun. Don't tell me its protection for me too, because I don't want that kind of protection. I'll take my chances!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Nice-looking thigh holster that one guy had.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

...I'll take my chances...Could be bitter words to have to eat.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yeah some of those commenters are kinda.. well... off kilter. I especially liked the one about how if you keep a gun in your home you are 72% more likely to be killed by gun violence. By that stat, 72% of ~150,000,000 households would have a member killed by a gun in the United States.

Some of their dribble does make for good comedy, though. Decent article.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Still not sold on OC. I can't do it here anyway, would be more comfortable though, just like Tom Selleck on the Las Vegas TV show!

I wonder though if you'd become the first victim if a BG is smart enough to "case the joint" first before making a move? Kind of like bank guards getting it first since they're armed. Seems like CCW is still the best choice to me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    ...I especially liked the one about how if you keep a gun in your home you are 72% more likely to be killed by gun violence. By that stat, 72% of ~150,000,000 households would have a member killed by a gun in the United States.
    Well, no, actually. It means that if a person who doesn't have a gun in the home has a 1% chance (just using a for instance here, not an accurate number) of being killed by gun violence, then a person who does have a gun in the home has a 1.72% chance of being killed by gun violence.

Even if you buy that argument, you have to keep in mind that this takes into account suicides (who very well may kill themselves by other means, and be just as dead but not count against this stat), as well as criminals who keep guns and are killed as a result of being a criminal. It's a tired old example of lies, damn lies, and statistics.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

One should carry concealed & discreet. Open carry just sends a message to bad guys 'shoot me first without warning and get a new gun along with my wallet!'
    One should blend and have the added element of surprise on one's side..Grey is my favorite color!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, no, actually. It means that if a person who doesn't have a gun in the home has a 1% chance (just using a for instance here, not an accurate number) of being killed by gun violence, then a person who does have a gun in the home has a 1.72% chance of being killed by gun violence.

Even if you buy that argument, you have to keep in mind that this takes into account suicides (who very well may kill themselves by other means, and be just as dead but not count against this stat), as well as criminals who keep guns and are killed as a result of being a criminal. It's a tired old example of lies, damn lies, and statistics.
    Alright, you got me. LOL
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links