Colorado police bodycam shows officer's split-second decision to shoot suspect armed

Colorado police bodycam shows officer's split-second decision to shoot suspect armed

This is a discussion on Colorado police bodycam shows officer's split-second decision to shoot suspect armed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; https://www.yahoo.com/news/colorado-...122303211.html...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Colorado police bodycam shows officer's split-second decision to shoot suspect armed

Sponsor

The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Yeah saw that yesterday. Hock shared it on FB. That'll get your heart rate up just watching it. Great, no..., Exceptionally Stellar job on the part of the officer. He only shot once, and he wasn't hit. Looks like he shot from the supine position, too!

What's your analysis, AZ?

(I don't give out many Exceptionally Stellars each year but he deserves one. )
    AzQkr and OldChap like this.
    That is My Tactical Girl Friend!

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Yeah saw that yesterday. Hock shared it on FB. That'll get your heart rate up just watching it. Great, no..., Exceptionally Stellar job on the part of the officer. He only shot once, and he wasn't hit. Looks like he shot from the supine position, too!

What's your analysis, AZ?

(I don't give out many Exceptionally Stellars each year but he deserves one. )
    I had to slow the vid down to catch the perp's actions. Looks like he was trying to butt stroke the leo, not shoot him with it. Still, under attack with a rifle, it could have been a different outcome had he pointed and fired on the leo. Luck was on the leo's side in several ways.

I did note he got that sidearm operational pdq, he's practiced that draw more than a few times.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Excellent. I hadn't seen that yet. I read LT. Chuck Wells page on FB (about the only thing I do read on there aside from my family) and he usually catches a lot of these incidents.

Home safe to his family. Couldn't ask for a better outcome. It sure could have gone the other way in a heartbeat.
    AzQkr likes this.

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    Yup if you slow it down by frame you can see the bg was going to hit the Leo with the stock. He has a crazy look on his face and must be drug fueled. The gun was not loaded either. Good job by the officer he was definately reacting at lightening speed. The BG sounded like he was whimpering and crying after he got shot. He is lucky to be alive.
    OldChap, sgb, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.

How many shots were fired? Not sure if I understand when it was fired. It looked like the shot was fired after the BG ran past the car door, in full retreat?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by strider43 View Post
    How many shots were fired? Not sure if I understand when it was fired. It looked like the shot was fired after the BG ran past the car door, in full retreat?
    Watch it again
    OldChap and Hoganbeg like this.

That was way too close. If that rifle had been loaded...yikes.
    AzQkr and OldChap like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

That cop was pretty quick. I am surprised he didn't do a mag dump on that guy.
    OldChap, Hoganbeg, AzQkr and 3 others like this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by strider43 View Post
    Once the Bad Guy exited with gun in hand, it was "GAME ON" for the cop, retreating was now too late.
    PhaedrusIV and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Watch it again

I can only hear the one shot after he is on the ground. There is a lot of action right at first where another shot could of been taken but I can tell because of multiples noises and the cam is moving very fast.

I was unable to capture the embedded video but by toggling the pause button through several viewings, I was able to catch the perp nearly at the tail lights with the rifle raised, butt toward the officer, as if for a butt stroke. I don't see the rifle in the camera view after the perp retreated forward of his vehicle so I would assume he carried it with him and was still a threat. The officer has great reflexes or maybe he saw something when he walked up on the passenger side.
    AzQkr likes this.
    "A non-judgmental society is a society where common decency is optional—and therefore not likely to remain as common."
    Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    Still frame it from seconds 19 - 22. Clearly an attack on the officer.

And yep - went pear shaped in an instant.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

This is slightly off-topic but it looked to me like there were a couple of bullet holes in that Suburban before the action started, as the officer approached along the passenger's side of the vehicle, on on the rear quarter panel, one one just above the rear door handle.

I have to believe the officer saw this, as his body cam swung briefly in that direction.

I have to think this would have aroused the officer's "spidey senses" (it would have raised mine !)

Yes, the officer deserves credit for very swift action.

What was not apparent to me (I have not examined the video frame-by-frame) was how the trooper ended-up on his butt.

Was he actually struck by the perp, or did he trip and fall backwards ?

Not that it matters much. The officer did an awesome job.

And, as has already been said, it shows just how quickly everything can unravel in ANY encounter.
    AzQkr likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Looks like the BG lost control of the AR as you can see where the AR rotated 180* , barrel is in the photo well away from BG off the officers right side . Sound like he shot twice but frame by frame only sounded like one shot but manages to hit the BG in the arm . The BG sure looked older than 25 years old . Most be a life style thang !! At least the office was not injured .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links