Gun Inventory

Gun Inventory

This is a discussion on Gun Inventory within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since I got rained out, I did something yesterday that I've been meaning to do for a long time. It took three steps: 1. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Inventory

VIP Member

Gun Inventory

Since I got rained out, I did something yesterday that I've been meaning to do for a long time. It took three steps:

1. I got on my word processor and created 3 documents. One for handguns, one for rifles and one for shotguns. I listed each gun that I own per category, with make, model #, serial #, where I bought it from, purchase price etc. If I couldn't remember exactly I'd just guess. I also noted any family history connected to the guns. Approximate number of rounds it had fired. I also described the case the gun was stored in, and where it is stored. Most, of course, are in my gun safe. I printed out a copy and have it stored in a secure place in my house, and a copy off-site, of course a copy is on my computer HD. So now I have a good inventory in case of fire or theft, along with some personal identity about my guns history for my family one day.

2. Each gun is either holstered, in it's original box, or in a padded case. Many of the padded cases are exactly alike so I used a marker and wrote a large number on the outside of the case so it would have a unique identity and easy to locate.

3. On the inside of the door of my gun safe I put up a small magnetic dry erase board. It's divided into the three categories of rifles, shotguns and handguns. Each gun is listed in under the appropriate category, and a note of whether it's stored in a box, holster or numbered padded case. For example if I need a certain rifle, I open the safe, look on the inside of the door at the dry erase board and find the particular rifle I need under the rifle category, note which case number it's in and I can easily find it. In the past I'd palpate the case and feel for the gun, and that was a pain.

So there you have it, I did some organizing and feel good about it. I'd be glad to list the number of guns I have, but I don't think I should, that would be like throwing fuel on the fire if my wife saw that number here, she was sort of pestering me to know the total number last night
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

thats something that I haven't gotten around to doing myself....Great idea for a rainy off-day.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

My Quicken program has a Quicken Home Inventory feature. I've created a catagory for guns. Works well.

VIP Member
    Ah, if only I had so many that I had to do that for my personal weapons... Now the arms room, on the other hand...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I done gone and done it.

It's a very timely suggestion for any who haven't got good records.

i wish i had enough guns to do that.

VIP Member
    Even if you have only one gun (At one time I only had one gun ) you should always have the manuf., model # and serial # in some safe place in the event of theft, fire, etc.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Some like to use an Excel spread sheet to do that, but that program is a little tricker to set up than a MS DOC.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

A couple of pics of each gun would be a good idea as well - good documentation for insurance.

I take a picture(s) of each firearm that I acquire. Then I get into photoshop and put the Brand, Model, Caliber and serial # on the picture.

I keep a thumbnail photograph page 3x3 of all my guns in the safe, another copy off site and of course all the pics are stored on my computer.

Oh, and I don't know how many of you know this, but check with your insurance company to see what your firearms coverage is, if any. My company (State Farm) automatically included coverage of up to $5000 in my policy and if I need more coverage I can buy a rider.

Great ideas, and I do really need to document my weapons, but never, never will let wife know the total number. You never know when two guns might get cuddly in there, and lo and behold there is born of that union a nice little over and under or wheel gun, or, or, or.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Take a look at NMCollector software. Good stuff. I think it's now available from either Brownells or Midway and if you are LE/Mil or have a C&R FFL you could get it with a discount.

http://nmcollector.net/nmguncollector/index.htm
    NRA Instructor

I only obsess over one firearm at a time so my list is short. Buy one, sell one. Side benefit is if it's stolen I only have to buy one. I did make a list of firearms I have owned in past from my huntin rifle 30/30 when I was a kid to my issued and owned. LOOONNGG list. No point but fun. It also brought into perspective what firearms I would b profficient at if need be in a pinch. Hey pete156, that aint no cucumber, is it? MAN genetic engineering has come a LONG way!

I have pictures, serial #'s and purchase date all in my saftey deposit box. Steve48

I need to take the pics and get the serial numbers. I forget, but I have either a 10k or a 15k personal property rider - am way under insured.

I went through an apartment fire - found out how quickly base coverage is maxed out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links