Causes of Stovepipes?

Causes of Stovepipes?

This is a discussion on Causes of Stovepipes? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My used SA Micro has been throwing a stovepipe every now and then (3 in around 2-300 rds). Range guy said it was bad ammo, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Causes of Stovepipes?

My used SA Micro has been throwing a stovepipe every now and then (3 in around 2-300 rds). Range guy said it was bad ammo, but it's the same ammo I use in all my range sessions and I've never had a stovepipe in any other guns, even an almost identical Kimber Ultra. Shot some Federal HST, and promptly got a stovepipe on the 4th round. So much for ammo as the culprit!

I'm thinking either a mag problem, or the short barrel is causing a mean muzzle flip that launches the next round at a bad angle to the barrel. One problem could be I'm using Kimber mags in an SA gun?

Assistant Administrator
    I'd not rule out ammo totally because the platform and its ability to digest can vary for several reasons.

I'd for one check to see if extractor is sharp and complete (and properly sprung) in case poor extraction is a factor. My priority check I think. Of course ejector could be also involved but much less likely usually. Bottom line - the round is not being properly cleared or fast enough to make space for next - and ''beat the slide".

Mag could be a factor too regarding next round's presentation angle if lips not ideal ... not sure re Kimber in SA. That should be OK but if engagement leaves mag a shade high then maybe compromizing slide motion a tad.

Ammo probably not a factor but interesting however to still try other stuff IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Often stovepipes are blamed on a weak grip. Next time try shooting with a death-grip on the stocks and see if that helps. FWIW

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    Often stovepipes are blamed on a weak grip. Next time try shooting with a death-grip on the stocks and see if that helps. FWIW
    +1, limp-wristing is the usual cause.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    There is a relief bevel cut that can be put at the base of the extractor that will make it easier for cartridge cases to be kicked out more easily.

Also you might want to let us know how far away from your firearm your ejected brass is going/landing.

If it's closer than 4 feet then your recoil spring is probably too stiff.

If the ammo that you are shooting is less than full power then move to a lighter recoil spring.

limp-wristing, bad extractor, and bad mag is what i would check. in that order.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have a GI micro. I found it likes factory mags above all others. I have no problems with them and occasional misfeeds with other mags I've tried. When tweeking a few things at the end of the break in period a 1911 gun smith also didn't much care for the way it was throwing brass and slightly changed the angle on the ejector. Just three passes with a file and, in the case of mine, a shallower angle on the ejector made a big difference in the way it ejects brass.

As mentioned above, a good tight grip and stiff wrist will also help.

Any idea how many rounds have been through it? I needed a new spring at 2500 rounds.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    I totally forgot to add limp-writing as a possibility but that can also manifest solely as a feed failure problem even when ejection is consistently successful - typically round is either missed altogether and not stripped off or - chambering is sloppy and round jams at an angle not completing going into battery..
    Chris - P95

my case was a bad extractor....so I say "bad extractor"...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Administrator
    Also make sure that your slide is running freely on your frame. Friction is the enemy of good feeding and ejection.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Maybe I've got my terms messed up, range guy told me it was stovepipe. It's not the spent brass being ejected, those come out fine. It's the new round coming up and lodging almost vertically against the barrel shroud at the top. FTF issue, not FTE. Unless a bad FTE is casuing the new round to nose upwards?

Administrator

Thumbs up

Yeah...you did get yer terms mixed up but, that's fine. No Problem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Ahaha - yes - well a stovepipe is an ejected case that doesn't It sits laughing at you between slide and chamber with open end up!!!

Your FTF is typical of either limp-wristing, over strong recoil spring and/or weak ammo for that spring. Plus if presentation of round due to mag problems then that too can cause trouble.

Slide if fully to rear should strip new round off on way fwd and get it into battery in one smooth move - if not full slide travel and/or bad mag presentation then this is what you seem to have. Round cocked up and stuck!
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    A better grip can help but I found out that was part of my shooting (accuracy) problem, I had a death grip on the gun.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Rustynuts, how smooth is the breech face. I've seen just this problem on a SA 1911 before that was solved with a little polishing there if it's too rough. Polishing the barrel shroud, chamber and ramp wouldn't hurt either. If you don't feel confident with it a gunsmith could do that fairly cheap. It's a quick job.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links