Range Report - SKS and AK's

This is a discussion on Range Report - SKS and AK's within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Over the past couple of months I've acquired a few new firearms, but with my work schedule (3 weeks out, 1 week home) I hadn't ...

Thread: Range Report - SKS and AK's

Range Report - SKS and AK's

Over the past couple of months I've acquired a few new firearms, but with my work schedule (3 weeks out, 1 week home) I hadn't had a chance to get to the range and give them a good once over. For pics, check THIS thread.

It also gave me an opportunity to take my brother to the range, since he'd never shot before. Started him out with my .357 snubbie loaded with .38. After the first couple of cylinders, he wanted to step up to .357. I had already warned him it would be a bit, um, different , and I managed to get his first shot on video (if anyone knows a decent free program to convert MPEG4 to WMV or AVI, please let me know). His reaction was priceless! Then we swapped out, and he shot my Glock 27 a few times. After we put hundred or so rounds through each, we headed to the rifle range.

Now on to the range report.

First was the Yugo SKS. What a great rifle! Offhand shots at 50 yards with a B27B target were consistently within the 9 ring (with a flyer in the 8 ring every now and then ). Next was the AK pistol. It was pretty much a point and shoot. I was checking the functionality more than the accuracy. THAT is fun to shoot! had a couple of misfeeds, but upon review (video was rolling again) it was due to limp wristing, which tends to happen when trying to use the sights on the little beast. Then to the WASR underfolder. It shot a little low at first, but after adjustment, offhand groups were similar to the SKS with the flyers a little more frequent. Of course, the most important thing is all shots were in the black. Next time, I'll shoot the pistol at the 25 yd rifle range to try and measure some accuracy. It will have to be after I add a single point sling so I can form a more rigid shooting platform. In total, we put about 100 rounds through the SKS, 100 through the WASR, and 50 through the pistol. We had 3 malfunctions (all failure to fire) with the SKS (primer was punched, but the round didn't fire), but all 3 were from the same box of ammo (Wolf Military Classic 124gr HP). The WASR was flawless, aside from a couple of issues with magazine insertion (problem fixed with a file once I got home). All in all, it was a good day with a cease fire at 11:40 so we could turn around and see the space shuttle going up.
    Last edited by LMarshall73; October 24th, 2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: That's what I get for typing a post during a conference call...

2. Remove Ads

i am glad that you had fun, which is what it is all about :D
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Assistant Administrator
    Good session by sound of it
    MPEG4 to WMV or AVI
    Nothing immediately to mind but the MPEG4 codecs seem more available and I have a feeling there is an open source converter but no info or link to give right now.

I think you may find if you do enough searches that you'll find what you need - also, like as not there may be a low priced app out there worth spending a few bucks on. I have only had to sort out codecs for playing ''4'' type files.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks. We had a lot of fun. My brother's all fired up and wants to buy something. Since he's on a pretty tight budget, I'm steering him towards an M44, just to have something to shoot. He wants to take his wife with him next time. I always leave a set of keys to my safe with my dad, so hopefully he'll take them out to the range (my dad was an MP for 15 years, an LEO for another 12, and filled in as a firearms instructor for the local community college LEO program every now and then. I found a program to convert the MPEG4 files, so I'll get a clip posted soon.

Assistant Administrator
    I found a program to convert the MPEG4 files, so I'll get a clip posted soon
    Good - thought there could be something. Maybe let me know what that was out of interest. Look fwd to viewing any clips later.

Indeed an M44 or M38 would be good on a tight budget and much fun to shoot. Ammo is still reasonably available - such as some Czech stuff I got earlier this year.
    Chris - P95

Got the video up. I used a trial version of ImTOO MPEG encoder to convert the files and put them together using Windows Movie Maker. Enjoy!

Assistant Administrator
    Downloaded the vid - Nice job!!

Seems to have converted real well and nice fades etc. Rossi .357 was producing grins and the Glock 40 too - snappy lil devils huh!

Thx for that.
    Chris - P95

The Yugo SKS whips up on my Russian version in the accuracy department. The Russian is on the poor side of average in my view while the Yugo is outstanding.

Fun report and video! Thanks

The SKS and AK are both capable firearms. Not match grade, but a good shooter can get acceptable and above average accuracy if they put some effort into it.

SKS accuracy

AK accuracy

Cool video! You have one another over to the dark side. Or so it appears.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Links