GUN ZONE ~ The Best GLOCK Ka~BOOMS! - Page 2

GUN ZONE ~ The Best GLOCK Ka~BOOMS!

This is a discussion on GUN ZONE ~ The Best GLOCK Ka~BOOMS! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CLASS3NH The only Glock I currently have is a Model 26 and that was gue to a REALLY GOOD deal on it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GUN ZONE ~ The Best GLOCK Ka~BOOMS!

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    The only Glock I currently have is a Model 26 and that was gue to a REALLY GOOD deal on it (A guy bought it new, a week prior to me getting it. It came with everything it originally came with, plus 2 extra G19 Hi-caps for 360.00) Now, how could I pass up a deal like that for "trade bait"

Thats a smokin deal..! My 26 only cost me $130.00

Federal 9mm conversion barrel. $98
    2 Glock factory G26 mags. $30

I already had the G27 in .40.:)
    Brad B.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AZG23
    Thats a smokin deal..! My 26 only cost me $130.00

Federal 9mm conversion barrel. $98
    2 Glock factory G26 mags. $30

I already had the G27 in .40.:)
    Heyy way cool!! I was told by a few people that the BBLs and mags were interchangable, going from a 27 to make a 26, but not in reverse due to the positioning if the ejector on the 26 frame.
    BTW...hope mine doesn't go "KAABOOOM"

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    BTW...hope mine doesn't go "KAABOOOM"
    It's a 9mm don't worry about it.

And I don't worry about it in my 40 either. I use good ammo and keep it stock.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

actually they arent "interchangeable", you have to have a conversion barrel. And you cant make a 26 into a 27.....you can make a 33 (.357sig) into a 27 or a 26 however. Not sure if thats what you meant...just wanted to clarify so noone was mislead. As for the ejector....it hasnt been a problem...it has been 100% reliable thru about 800 rounds. My wife loves to shoot it....
    Brad B.

Senior Moderator
    Glock K-booms have always intrigued me because so many say they do much more so than other brands; so many say they don't anymore than other brands.

However, in reading various boards, reports of Glock K-booms seem to far exceed any other manufacturer. For example, Glocktalk has a sticky dedicated to Glock K-booms. The Sig forum, the 1911 forum, the XD forum, etc. do NOT have a sticky on K-booms for their guns, nor do they have anywhere near the traffic of posts on K-booms that Glocks do.

Many dismiss the Glock K-boom because there are so many more Glocks out there than any other gun. However, unless there are something like ten times more Glocks out there than other guns, the K-boom reporting is way out of proportion.

I'm not bashing Glocks, I currently own six after selling three, but to me, there does seem to be a real problem with Glocks K-booming more frequently and more proportionately than other manufacturers. Plus, based on what little info I have seen, Glock didn't perform so great in the ICE tests that Sig prevailed in.

I realize all mechanical devices are prone to failure. It just seems like to me that Glocks have a significant higher K-boom ocurrances than other manufacturers. And some are of course user and ammo induced, but OTOH, many are not so easily explained and occur with reputable people and good factory ammo.

If you mention "K-boom" in gun circles, it seems to me like Glock invariably comes up. For example, when was the last time you heard of conversation about Sig k-booms?

I know the 357 Sig and 40 cal BBls can be swapped. I once owned a G33 and bought the 40 cal bbl for the gun. They swapped out and fitted fine, and the G33 mag would load the 40S&W into it with no trouble.
    I've heard of guys swapping out 40 cal and 9mm bbls and mags, but it seems that looking at the ejectors on both guns, they're very different. The G27 ejector is straight vs the G26 ejector being slightly curved. The same goes for the 23 vs the 19 ejectors as well.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Glock K-booms have always intrigued me because so many say they do much more so than other brands; so many say they don't anymore than other brands.

However, in reading various boards, reports of Glock K-booms seem to far exceed any other manufacturer. For example, Glocktalk has a sticky dedicated to Glock K-booms. The Sig forum, the 1911 forum, the XD forum, etc. do NOT have a sticky on K-booms for their guns, nor do they have anywhere near the traffic of posts on K-booms that Glocks do.

Many dismiss the Glock K-boom because there are so many more Glocks out there than any other gun. However, unless there are something like ten times more Glocks out there than other guns, the K-boom reporting is way out of proportion.

I'm not bashing Glocks, I currently own six after selling three, but to me, there does seem to be a real problem with Glocks K-booming more frequently and more proportionately than other manufacturers. Plus, based on what little info I have seen, Glock didn't perform so great in the ICE tests that Sig prevailed in.

I realize all mechanical devices are prone to failure. It just seems like to me that Glocks have a significant higher K-boom ocurrances than other manufacturers. And some are of course user and ammo induced, but OTOH, many are not so easily explained and occur with reputable people and good factory ammo.

If you mention "K-boom" in gun circles, it seems to me like Glock invariably comes up. For example, when was the last time you heard of conversation about Sig k-booms?
    Well, it is a fact there are a lot more Glocks out there than others models, especially in the calibers most prone to KBs like the 40. And I have heard of plenty happening in other brands, also.

Glocktalk is a vastly popular board, with a lot more posts than probably any other brand related board so you are going to hear about KBs more there, just due to the number of posts. The reason there is a sticky there is because every couple of weeks you get some new person coming on and posting ďOH MY GODÖA GLOCK BLEW UP Ė WHAT IS WRONG WITH GLOCKS!!!Ē

It also is true that the vast majority of KBs involve squibs, reloads, and/or unjacketed lead bullets. Other brands donít have the issue with lead that Glocks do, so you wonít have KBs in them because of lead. One of the prices you pay if you want to shoot Glocks- donít use unjacketed lead bullets.
    Last edited by JT; July 2nd, 2005 at 05:25 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

JT

Senior Moderator
    It's not that other brands do or don't have K-booms; it's a matter of how many and how frequently. And, just like everybody else that talks about Glock K-booms, I don't have facts and figures. But going by the "buzz" in hyperspace and from other sources as well, which by the way cannot be confirmed, there seem to be far more instances of Glock K-booms than any other brand. And, it's way too many to be explained by "...there are more Glocks out there..." and "...Glocks are so popular..."

Glocks are perhaps the most commonly used handgun in LE, but do we really "know" that Glocks are more popular across the board of cops and civilians? For example, I know of no military branch or spec ops that carry or use Glocks. Further, there's lot's of indication that the 1911 is the most popular gun of all time. How many manufacturers are there that mass produce 1911s. Even Taurus is marketing one now. So I don't know if we can really claim that Glocks have more K-booms simply because there are more of them or they or more popular.

I'm going to trust my memory here and credit David Difabio as saying on his fine ammo testing website: "Friends don't let friends shoot .40 cal. Glocks." That coming from David sure got me to thinking.

Don't take me wrong about this, I really don't know if Glocks have a disproportionate number of K-booms than other guns, but it sure looks like they do. I also recognize that other brands do have K-booms, but again, it's not a matter of do or don't, it's a matter of how many compared to other brands, and that's just something we don't know.

I'm not quite ready to accept that the Glock K-boom phenomenon is just because there are more of them or they are so much more popular than any other brand.

And BTW, not every .40 cal. started from a 9mm platform; Sig for example, redesigned the 229 for the .40 cal.

JT
    Well since the number of KBs per brand are not being tracked, you canít know for sure. Also, the problem is much more common in 40s than 45s, so the number of 1911s being produced is not as much of an issue as the number of 40s by different brands. Just because you hear Glocks talked about more, doesnít mean much to me, because I believe there has been a lot of hysteria created by Glock bashers, when it can and does happen in any brand. Thatís my opinion. I also have no fear of my Glock exploding, because I also believe it is almost always the fault of the ammo. Thatís my opinion. Everybody has to decide what they are comfortable with. I do know this, I have seen pictures of Glock KBs, and KBs in other weapons. I am very happy about how well Glock have handled them. Parts and/or the entire gun has been ruined, by the damage to the operator has been minimal.

Ok, I don't care for Glocks myself, but I noticed this little tidbit on CCW in Post offices. Anyone have any commets on this?

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

Administrator

Hi Al

The P.O. Gray Area Debate Rages On...forever...I guess.
    I guess the answer to the question...is yet another question:
    When was the last time you ever saw anybody thrown up against the wall, frisked & strip searched when they were buying stamps at the P.O.?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    The P.O. Gray Area Debate Rages On...forever...I guess.
    I guess the answer to the question...is yet another question:
    When was the last time you ever saw anybody thrown up against the wall, frisked & strip searched when they were buying stamps at the P.O.?
    I don't recall ever seeing that.

Anyway, I did find the Gunzone to be an interesting place. It gave me more perspective on the Bren Ten failure.

But he does appear to be a bit biased against Glocks.

Senior Moderator
    My concern about the PO thing is that it is essentially "untested" and the situation may vary greatly with local laws.

While we may not have seen anyone thrown against the wall in a PO, we still need to be aware of cost - benefit from carrying in a PO. If you inadvertently disclose your gun to the proverbial 'little ole lady' (would that be soccer mom?), you could face charges and may get to find out first hand how carrying in a PO is going to be handled both locally and federally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    My concern about the PO thing is that it is essentially "untested" and the situation may vary greatly with local laws.

While we may not have seen anyone thrown against the wall in a PO, we still need to be aware of cost - benefit from carrying in a PO. If you inadvertently disclose your gun to the proverbial 'little ole lady' (would that be soccer mom?), you could face charges and may get to find out first hand how carrying in a PO is going to be handled both locally and federally.
    Well, I don't know about local laws. In Michigan, local laws cannot exceed state laws with regard to carrying of weapons (State Pre-Emption law).

But I know there are some states who's CCW laws include post offices as CEZs. But I do believe the article covered that situation, stating that if your state law prohibits carry on PO property, then it WOULD be unlawful for you to pack on PO property. Or something to that effect. ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links