clearing your own house at night?

This is a discussion on clearing your own house at night? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No one mentioned what may have occurred to make one think the house needed to be cleared. A simple thump could be anything from a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clearing your own house at night?

No one mentioned what may have occurred to make one think the house needed to be cleared. A simple thump could be anything from a water pipe to the house settling. I guess my concern is that if people called the police every time something goes bump in the night they would soon get a reputation which might but them pretty low on the police action sheet when something really did happen.

Comments please!

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    I walk my family's house all the time in the dark. Heck, my brother and I see how quiet we can be, and are generally very quiet walkers anyway. Navigating my home at night or even pitch black is a piece of cake for me, and the only good thing about my vision is my night vision. I'm set in that respect.

But I wouldn't do it.

First, I don't have the training. I'm a sneaky bugger and know the layout, but I've never needed to be sneaky and have no idea how well (or poorly) I would do once adrenaline starts pumping.

Second, protective as I am of my family, I am not as protective of property. As an individual once put it, you can take my TV, but expect for my front sight to stay on you as you leave since I don't know if that's the only thing you want to take.

Lastly, it is not legally advisable to. Everyone sleeps upstairs, and so long as everyone is still upstairs when said "bump" is heard, how are you going to explain in court to a lawyer and jury why you chose to leave a safe location (upstairs) into an unsafe one (downstairs)? Would a reasonable and prudent person do that?

As for what the "bump" in the night could be, Puppy brings up a good point. My dog scratches himself a couple times a night and can make quite a loud thump or twenty until he's finally satisfied. The ice-maker sometimes likes to remind us it's still around and working 'round the clock. When the seasons change, the house will occasionally make related house-adjusting-its-self noises. I use discretion when going to check things, but I'd say most of the time something rouses me from my sleep I grumble a little and grudgingly go about investigating (NOT room clearing); I rarely do it with a gun, either, which is something I'm now considering how to address.

My take on the subject; it's worth what you paid for it.

-B

Why would I leave upstairs and go downstairs? Because its my house!

Austin

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Why would I leave upstairs and go downstairs? Because its my house!

Austin
    Which is perfectly fine, but use of lethal force is restricted for lethal force confrontations. If you suspect someone's broken into your home, you would have to convince the lawyers why it was a good idea to go from upstairs (safe area) to downstairs (unsafe area). You don't have to convince me; I'm just relating a little legalese to you. If you can avoid danger and call the cops and stay relatively safe, how will you explain your decision not to do those things and avoid (since it appears to be possible) a lethal force confrontation?

-B

At night, my wife is at my side...if I were to hear or see movement in any other part of the house...I'm going to light up things for a few seconds...then I'll call 911...
    I know my house very well in the dark...my dogs know the house very well...they are my first alert. People can't even walk by the outside of the house without me knowing about it. No one is getting into my house at night without me having a reception party...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links