SIG shooting low and right

This is a discussion on SIG shooting low and right within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So the last few times I've been out shooting, my SIG p229(DAK) in .40 has been shooting low and to the right(about 6 inches off ...

Thread: SIG shooting low and right

SIG shooting low and right

So the last few times I've been out shooting, my SIG p229(DAK) in .40 has been shooting low and to the right(about 6 inches off target at 20 ft). I've took it apart, cleaned it, reassembled it a few times, tried different brand ammos, 165grain and 185 grain, with the same results. I was beginning to think it was just in my head and something I was doing, so I had 2 other very experienced shooters shoot it, with the same results. Whats going on here? I've got the tritium night sights on it, I guess the windage could be off there, no problem.. but low? Help!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Sorry to tell you, but low and right is 99.9% always the shooter. Do a lot dry firing, and concentrate on a smooth trigger pull.

The more you dry fire the pistol, the better you pistol will be "fixed".
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    6 inches at 20' is a LOT for any firearm to be off the mark.
    You might want to try using a very small aiming point at 20' - like the smallest size "stick on" Targ-Dot & then take your good ol' time shooting in order to see exactly where your firearm is hitting.
    I would do that before you start moving your sights around.
    You'll need to do that anyway in order to determine what changes need to be made to your sights.

Now if you had two other shooters shoot that firearm with the exact same result then the problem would be the sights.
    It's unlikely that 3 experienced shooters would all be hitting low & left to that extreme degree.

SO...you'll need to do a windage adjustment...and have some height taken off your front sight to raise your POI.
    It's easily possible that whoever did your Tritium sight installation installed the wrong height of front sight on your firearm.
    If the front sight that was put on is too high then you could easily be hitting 6" low.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    6 inches at 20' is a LOT for any firearm to be off the mark.
    You might want to try using a very small aiming point at 20' - like the smallest size "stick on" Targ-Dot & then take your good ol' time shooting in order to see exactly where your firearm is hitting.
    I would do that before you start moving your sights around.
    You'll need to do that anyway in order to determine what changes need to be made to your sights.

Now if you had two other shooters shoot that firearm with the exact same result then the problem would be the sights.
    It's unlikely that 3 experienced shooters would all be hitting low & left.

SO...you'll need to do a windage adjustment...and have some height taken off your front sight to raise your POI.
    It's possible that whoever did your sight installation installed the wrong height of front sight on your firearm.
    If the front sight that was put on is too high then you could easily be hitting 6" low.

QK---- NOt as unusual as it sounds. I had 4 Local Police come in and asked if we had someone who could adjust Springfield XD sights.

I asked why. They said all four where shooting low and to the left.

I said thats a bold statement blaming the gun and a manufacturer who has been doing this a long time.

They were postitive it was the gun. I tookt he gun out, shot at a Q target 1and with 10 shots made the Q disapear at 21 feet.

They then asked how do they fix there shooting problem.

I said just like learning to play an instrument take lessons.

They informed me they where police and don't need lessons. I said then there is nothing I can do for you besides charging you $40 dollars take the gun in the back where you can't see it, drink a cup of coffee, pretend to move your rear sight and give your gun back.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator

Thumbs up

Rob...yeah...that's a good worthwhile addition.
    It sure could be a case of blame the gun.

Usually, the SIG pistols are pretty much dead on the money right out of the box from the factory.
    In this case the fact that he had Night Sights installed coupled with the fact that 3 folks are shooting the gun with the same result at only 20' is kinda making me think that maybe somebody goofed up an aftermarket sight installation.

Anything sure is possible though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Its kinda hard to screw up a sight install on a dovetailed gun with out it being very apparent.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its kinda hard to screw up a sight install on a dovetailed gun with out it being very apparent.
    Unless you install the wrong height sights. Sig has at least two different sight heights, both front and back. Left to right is a little more difficult to screw up without being visible.

Does the original poster have access to a rest? That helps eliminate alot of the human error.

We have a well-heeled local shooter who buys a lot of high-dollar guns and shoots a lot.

He came off the firing line with a SIG P229 and wanted to know if the sights could be adjusted. I asked him to describe the problem and it didn't sound like the gun but I volunteered to go to the line and check it out.

He fired about 8 rounds at LESS THAN 7 YARDS and was all over the place but mostly low and many left. I asked if I could try it and he said to go ahead.

I'm not a great shooter and I didn't have my shooting glasses, so it was a good chance to make a fool of myself but I put out 5 rounds and they all went into the 10X of a B27.

He responded "well it likes you better!" Ya right, but it's always the gun.
    Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

A little added info. I bought the gun pre-owned but never fired, so I'm not entirely sure the night sights are factory. If I do add a little kentucky windage, aiming high and left I'm right on the money. I'm glad so many people in here have had perfect guns for it to immediatly be a problem with the shooter. It shot perfect for awhile, then stopped for some reason after a spell without shooting and a thourough cleanin.

My P229/.40 had #8 front and rear....then I got my P226/.40--and had problems with it shooting low....the P226 comes with #6 front and #8 rear sights....not unusual.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Isn't there a product, a laser that looks like a bullet that can be chambered?
    It may have to be chambered a few times to make sure the device is giving an accurate display on the target, but it should clarify if it is the site.

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    Isn't there a product, a laser that looks like a bullet that can be chambered?
    It may have to be chambered a few times to make sure the device is giving an accurate display on the target, but it should clarify if it is the site.
    Good idea, might have to see if i can find one in .40 s&w

Links