Shaking Hand

Shaking Hand

This is a discussion on Shaking Hand within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, so I'm ashamed to admit it but I have a problem with handguns. After about 30-50 rounds my hand starts shaking (.357, .40, .45 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaking Hand

Shaking Hand

OK, so I'm ashamed to admit it but I have a problem with handguns. After about 30-50 rounds my hand starts shaking (.357, .40, .45 doesn't matter). I just got a new HK P2000 SK .40 and it does the same thing. I fired maybe 80 rounds yesterday when I got home my hand was shaking as I was pouring the milk- and my wrist is a bit sore today. Am I just a total wuse? I'm not a small guy- 6'1" 235 pounds and I was in the Marines....WTHeck

Is this just lack of muscles and I need to work out more?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Don't think it's because your a wuss, but if it starts after other activities I would go talk to a Doctor.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Administrator
    I think its just because your a wuss.

Really though, is it nerves or a physical problem? Is it something like an adrenalin dump?

You said you are a Marine but are you out of shape now?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Oh...Here It Is. Try one of these. It should help you out.
    It needs to be worn pretty tight.

$25.00 http://www.atssports.com/tennis.cfm?prodid=303

The Tenex Elbow Shock Watch is a unique anti-vibration wrist band that incorporates encapsulated mercury to absorb 50-70% of vibrations from sudden or repetitive impact activities.

The hook and loop strap adjusts for fit and comfort. Ideal for sports, work and home use. One size fits most.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It only happens when shooting. I remember it happening like 15 years ago at my uncles house. And yeah I'm not in the best shape now- but not a complete slob either.....

If another family member has/had it, it sounds genetic. Might want to talk to a doctor about it. There may be something you can do about it. (I type this while at the same time I am having troubles with my shoulders and neck so bad that I have been losing sensation in my shoulders and arms for the last few months and I haven't even considered a doctor yet...Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?)
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    If another family member has/had it, it sounds genetic. Might want to talk to a doctor about it. There may be something you can do about it. (I type this while at the same time I am having troubles with my shoulders and neck so bad that I have been losing sensation in my shoulders and arms for the last few months and I haven't even considered a doctor yet...Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?)
    If it makes you feel better, I have been nursing a torn rotor cuff for the past 4 months without consulting my doctor. I have also not been getting around to scheduling surgery for a suspected torn minuscus in my right knee that my doctor keeps reminding me about everytime she see me.

Yea, NRATodd, you should possibly consider getting a doctor's opinion. That doesn't mean you have to follow it, but at least you will know just how badly your screwing yourself up. Plus, if your doctor is cute like mine, then you should be making excuses to go get checked out.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

my advice is to buy a 10 pound dumbbell weight and practice forward over hand lifts with it and then maybe other lifts until you can get it done ;)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

"Is this just lack of muscles and I need to work out more?"

I would bet that if you work on your upper body strength the tremble will disappear.

Shooting a handgun does not look like it is a lot of work but you are using muscles in a way that you don't normally. They need to be trained up.

VIP Member
    Only an ex-EMT here but I'd say you're having a spasm in your hand that is "triggered" (<--poor pun) by the repetitive recoil. You might try loosening your grip a little. Also, taking some breaks during your shooting sessions would be helpful too. Think prevention. Actually you may have some chronic internal swelling/inflammation in your hand that is aggravated by the recoil, that's why it's happening to you and not to others.

You might consider resting your shooting hand for about a month, then go back and relax your grip a little, and take some breaks between magazines and see how it does. I think a doc would add NSAID's to this.

I've swung a carpenters hammer to the point of hand exhaustion and afterwards I could detect some hand trembles when I stopped.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

i would say take it easy at the range- take breaks in btwn mags and such.
    Have a really good shooter there take a look at your grip and stance.
    start working out if you dont already, especially wrist curls and such.
    and if that doesnt help the defiantly see a doctor.

I think it's just the shooting, not anything medical. I get the same shakes after firing 100 or so through my small 40/45's! The recoil gets to you, then you start gripping harder which tires the muscles. Wrist curls and those grip trainers should help.

Distinguished Member
    You might try taking a couple Ibuprofen prior to your shooting practice. This helps me with problems like you are describing.

Z

Administrator
    I've been thinking about this, and I think Rustynuts is on to something.

Do you shoot with a death grip? If so, lighten up a little. There is no need to try and strangle your pistol.

I remember a few winters ago, I was helping a buddy rebuild his deck. I dont know why he needed to do this in December, but there we were. I think I spent 3 or 4 hours at a time pounding nails, never once putting down the hammer.
    When done, I had to pry my right hand off the hammer with my left. I do remember my right hand shaking a little too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would at least...discuss it with your doctor...we sometimes wait until too long to consult professional opinions..."Get thee to a doctor!"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links