Webley .455 found in the dirt

This is a discussion on Webley .455 found in the dirt within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the early 1940's the army held maneuvers here in Louisiana. In fact in the movie "Patton", George C. Scott "glorified" the event with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley .455 found in the dirt

VIP Member

In the early 1940's the army held maneuvers here in Louisiana. In fact in the movie "Patton", George C. Scott "glorified" the event with a snide comment you may remember. Actually Patton, Eisenhower, and other notables were here at that time for the maneuvers. Though I wasn't, it was before my time. As a side note, at the same time, my great grandmother was in her home being cared for, but very sick and near death. Nearby the army had set up artillery pieces, and a family member went over and talked to the commanding officer and told him about the illness and hoped they wouldn't be soon firing their artillery. I don't know whether they moved the artillery or delayed firing it, but they didn't fire and respected the sensitivity of the impending death.

Recently a friend of mine was driving his vehicle through a wooded area nearby that at one time was part of the maneuver area. He happened to look behind him and saw something odd and went back to take a closer look and it was an old pistol sticking out of the dirt. He showed it to me and I'm sure it's a .455 Webley. My friend was told that others had found old guns/parts before. The Webley is missing the hammer, mainspring and grips, otherwise it's not too bad considering it's been in the ground nearly 70 years. It's not rusted as nearly as bad as I thought it would be, in fact I could see a couple of the serial numbers. (Good British steel and craftsmanship huh Chris?) I didn't know that our forces would have had some british handguns back then, but it doesn't surprise me with shortage of weapons at the time. I'm guessing the old Webley malfunctioned or whatever, and it was de-activated by removing the hammer and mainspring, then discarded. It's obvious that it wasn't loaded or carrying empty cartridge cases.

I found it very interesting to see that gun here in Louisiana come out of the dirt like that............. if only it could talk.

****I called my friend who found the Webley but he wasn't home, I'll get in touch with him in a day or so, and try to post some pictures here, ya'll check back****
    Last edited by ppkheat; October 27th, 2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: photos
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

JD
    Administrator

Go get them, this I'd like to see!

Lead Moderator
    Very interesting. Lots of things can be found in the dirt at old training areas. Some pics would be cool.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    All right Pahdnuh...fancy up some pics for us old folks!

Love Webleys. Please post photos!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Possilby an exchange officer "lost" his and got a 1911 to replace it?

Assistant Administrator
    Fascinating find indeed.
    Good British steel and craftsmanship huh Chris?
    Well .. certainly up to a point but it sure is amazing judging from your description just how much less rust there seems to be than what might be expected.

Look fwd to seeing some pics later - and also wonder how bad the bore is ... you can get a spring from Brownells but not so sure whether grips and hammer could be found. I do think the .455's turned up almost everywhere on the planet over time - seeing this as a MkVI (mine below).

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    As requested, here's a picture of the Welbey that was found in the dirt. Pretty good shape huh? I would say that the condition it's in is mostly due to the steel formula and possibly the soil type?

I took two picture of it, one with an Olympus digital camera, and the other with my cell phone cam (this attachment). I couldn't upload the Olympus picture, it kept saying my file was too large. I don't know how to reduce it......I NEED LESSONS.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Assistant Administrator
    From what I can see that looks pretty remarkable. Thanks.

Get a small image viewer so as to shrink and resave the other pic smaller. I used to suggest Irfanview but have a feeling that is no longer free (tho very handy) . Google that or try http://www.irfanview.com/

Other one tho which is freebie and I think GNU is ''XNView"image viewer - try that (Google it). Shrink down to say 640x480 and save with enough jpg compression to get below 100k is good.
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    Wow, looks like it is remarkable shape for time spent in the dirt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

A couple of thousand years ago, (well it seems that long a go.), I was working my way through college doing street construction. We were working on an street in Abilene Kansas, the old cattle town area and a guy found a single action 6 shooter. I never got to see it though.

VIP Member
    Thanks Chris for the advice. Here now is the Olympus picture that I wasn't able to upload earlier, I believe it's a bit clearer.
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh - a tad better - can see the brown now!!!

Try another pic with better lighting maybe ... or you'll find in Irfanview you can change gamma and brightness - might ''lift'' it a bit more.

I'd be inclined (if bore seems worth it) .... getting it lightly sand blasted - just enough to see if bright metal might be possible to achieve. Just perhaps then it might become a project gun!
    Chris - P95

JD
    Administrator
    That's just too cool!

Thanks for providing the pic!

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That's just too cool!

Thanks for providing the pic!
    +1 That is a cool piece of history.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links