Defensive Carry banner

Naval Jelly in a Brown Bore?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a slightly brown bore in my Mosin M44, and frankly, I'm sick of it.

I have very little brown on the patches, but it took a lot of time (weeks) and a lot of steel wool and G96 to get most of the rust out.

I really want the rest of the rust gone so that I can effectively polish the bore.

I found some Naval Jelly rust remover in the garage. I remember hearing something about this in relation to gunsmithing, but I can't remember if it was to use it, or not to use it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Josh <><

#3 ·
IIRC Naval Jelly is like many rust converters - based on phosphoric acid.

I would have thought however that if after cleaning assiduously and shooting a good many rounds, that the cumulative ''scrubbing'' would anyways have removed most superficial rusting. If there is pitting then not much will change that IMO.

I doubt if a phosphate treatment will do any harm if after conversion the bore is swabbed out with water to remove residual compound. That said, if bore is not chromed I doubt you'll ever see it looking real polished - unless you go so far that some lands get shrunk and grooves go oversize!!

I would not tho worry excessively about a degree of ''brown bore'' .... just shoot the snot out of it! :wink: It's a milsurp!!

#7 ·
Rather than the steel wool or Naval Jelly I'd use some JB Bore Cleaner on it per directions on the jar. In between shooting sessions I'd work all the copper fouling out with soakings of Sweet's 7.62 bore solvent per directions on the bottle.

#8 ·
Hey guys,

Got a good discussion going on here: http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66491

It's entertaining, if you wanna take a look. I don't think you have to join to just view.

Short version: I had a bunch of people telling me I had to use a whole can of G96 and a bag of patches. I remixed an acetic acid solution, almost decided to make an electric bore cleaner, but decided to go with patches and strengthen the solution I would have used for a bath.

Got lots of stuff out.

Check it out, if you wish!

Josh <><

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.