Just My Luck (SW 5906 sights)

This is a discussion on Just My Luck (SW 5906 sights) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I buy a brand new Bersa Thunder .380, and have to take it to the gun smith to have the rear sights lined up. Then ...

Thread: Just My Luck (SW 5906 sights)

I buy a brand new Bersa Thunder .380, and have to take it to the gun smith to have the rear sights lined up.

Then I buy a used Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm). Rear sights are not lined up right.

They are just simple white dot Novak's sights, so I don't think they were original on the gun.

On the top of the sight, there is a screw fitted for an alan key, so I took it out thinking that the slide would budge some....It won't move no matter what I do to it. I don't want to put too much force onto it so I don't break something....and I don't want to pay another $50 to have this one sighted by a gun smith like I had to do with my Bersa.

Anyone know about this?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

The sights are likely factory, the Smiths were put out both with and without Novak night sights in the configuration you describe.
    Have you tried putting the slide in a vise? It may be necessary, or at least helpful. Pad the jaws with strips of leather. Maybe the sights will budge a little with careful application of a hammer and soft punch, maybe nylon, German silver, or brass. Use masking tape all around the area you DON'T want to hit if the punch slips. You can grind and shape the punch into a half-circle shape to lie flat in the dovetail and hit the sight squarely, and use the biggest surface you can against the side of the sight. Brass marks will scrub off. I've been told to shoot a bit of WD40 on the sight first and get it to wick in under the sight. All this is assuming you don't have a friend with a a sight pusher....
    Fifty bucks to sight a gun seems a bit high to me.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Fifty!?

Way too much to sight in a pistol. Get a brass punch from Brownell's and a brass hammer and do it yourself. In addition to what Sheepdog says, try scrubbing the brass marks off of the side with a bit of old pencil eraser. or just leave it on there, who cares?

We charge less than $10 for that service, and probably if I'm not busy I'd do it for nothing using your ammo or some left overs. It's good customer service that way.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...SS+DRIFT+PUNCH

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...D+BRASS+HAMMER

Links