Blowup pic of Walther P22 - Page 2

Blowup pic of Walther P22

This is a discussion on Blowup pic of Walther P22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HeadHunterII So, I guess now the P22 will build the next KaBOOM fad huh. You shouldn't buy a glock either, because those ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blowup pic of Walther P22

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunterII View Post
    So, I guess now the P22 will build the next KaBOOM fad huh. You shouldn't buy a glock either, because those blow up all the time... [/sarcasm]
    I "blew one up" having it teflon coated for my daughter, and was exceedingly pissed having spent slightly less than I would have for a MkII that would not have had "issues". It is what it is- you can't argue metallurgy.

As I said, plinking with your kid, a few hundred a month-fine; running thousands of rounds through one- it will choke long before an all steel pistol will, that's basic common sense. Again, my issue is S&W getting around $300 for their "Target" model, which has no better construction than a Phoenix Arms at $125.

Functionally: the P22's hammer rides between milled "washers" on the side plates. Hardened steel on "alloy" (I'm being generous here). Same issue you'll have on a high-use AR and its trigger pins, save that the hammer isn't actively reciprocating its full surface against the receiver in the AR.

If you are of the opinion I'm blowing smoke, take one to a smith and ask their assessment about working on one. Better yet, as I suggest, put the slide in your home oven at 325. ARs and aluminum framed 1911s have no problem- I've done 1 AR myself, and 1 1911, and had 1 each coated by a professional. No problems.

If you have something other than "sarcasm" refuting my points, by all means... I didn't say,"Don't buy one." I said they are unsuitable for range use, and be aware of what you're purchasing. To give the P22 credit, its ergonomics are superior to the earlier S&W .22s

Matt- I apologize, the frame insert, the "sideplates" are what I'm referring to. Part #s 2&3 in the diagram.
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/walther_p22.pdf

'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Anyone know of any real steel aftermarket slides for the P22? I'd be interested in getting one.

edit; the OEM slide is made of a Metal Injection Molded zinc alloy.
    Geoff, not at this time. I hung onto the barrel and internals for almost a year looking. Having the sideplates and slide custom milled was possible, but not worth it for what it is. Conversely, even if you get/make the steel slide, you'll be changing the mass so much, you'll really have to invest in Wolff springs, trying to get the resistance correct so your timing isn't causing FTFs, not to mention trying to avoid shearing on the sideplate rails.

I sold my parts for around $100 and bought the MkII I had been trying to avoid (Ruger).

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    This gun let go in the hands of a new shooter who had rented it.
    Hopefully the "new shooter" isn't turned off or scared off by this.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    If you have something other than "sarcasm" refuting my points, by all means... I didn't say,"Don't buy one." I said they are unsuitable for range use, and be aware of what you're purchasing. To give the P22 credit, its ergonomics are superior to the earlier S&W .22s

Don't give yourself that much credit. I never stated your name or any information in your post and yet you take it as a personal attack. Paranoid much? Chill out guy. Nobody is fighting with you. It was a joke and was meant as a joke. Some of you folks take this internet thing a little too serious.
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... The answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."-- Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC.

"We didn't fight our way all the way to the top of the food chain to become vegetarians."-- Unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links