Blowup pic of Walther P22

This is a discussion on Blowup pic of Walther P22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This gun let go in the hands of a new shooter who had rented it. It was the first shot and ammo was CCI Mini ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blowup pic of Walther P22

This gun let go in the hands of a new shooter who had rented it. It was the first shot and ammo was CCI Mini Mags. Part of the case is visible in the chamber. No one was injured. The pistol was dirty, and is a high round count rental gun. It has had minor parts break in the past, but was functional (as far as we knew...) It is on it's way to S&W now, sorry for the blurry pics, I was in a hurry to take them before it shipped out. For the record, I am a fan of these pistols and own one. Until this, the two we have as rentals were pretty reliable considering the high round count. All have had minor parts breakage and little problems, but have given good service as rentals. Many new shooters have been introduced to our sport with this pistol. I still shoot mine, and have used it as a "car gun" in the past. I suspect it was an out-of-battery blowup, possibly related to wear or dirt. Your thoughts are welcome as allways.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    man, that slide just cracked right off. Good thing nobody was hurt. How shaken was the newbie?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Can you provide more details than "blew up"? What parts broke in the malfunction? Is the P22 capable of shooting mini-mags? (me thinks no)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Can you provide more details than "blew up"? What parts broke in the malfunction? Is the P22 capable of shooting mini-mags? (me thinks no)
    Sure it is. Thats all I have ever fired out of mine. But, I clean it.
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... The answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."-- Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC.

"We didn't fight our way all the way to the top of the food chain to become vegetarians."-- Unknown

As the P22 isn't a gas-op gun, so cleaning (at least in respect to the failure shown) is a non-issue. I've said it before: they are pot-metal, literally. Unless it's regularly inspected, I wouldn't be putting one out for rent...nor would I own another. To each their own...

Edit to add: it looks like the firing pin was driven upward, and so tore that section of slide away- its broken where the bolt retaining pin is. No excuse for that with a rimfire.

P22

Mini mags are not .22 magnum, plain .22LR and we sell lots of them. The slide separated where you see it, the firing pin jammed to the rear. The extractor is broken, there is no obvious damage to the frame. The barrel is tight in the barrel shroud sleeve and the barrel nut is tight. Looking at the case, I figure it had to be out of battery. Doubtful it was an overcharged case or such like, can't obviously be a reload, bullet won't set back into the case, etc. The slide is most surely not steel.

The new guy was worried he had done something wrong.

Probably the chamber was a little gummed up and it fired out of battery. Unsupported cases do much more interesting things than properly chambered ones. How dirty was it?

Austin

Dirty

No so dirty that it was jamming. It was not due for a detail strip and clean yet, but had probably 2 or 3 days of firing without any cleaning. Hard to say exactly how much. If it has trouble before a scheduled cleaning some employees will clean it, some will shoot a bit of CLP on it and run a patch down the barrel to keep it running till I get to it....
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; October 29th, 2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: typo

VIP Member
    Kinda spooky...the ol lady wants one,hmmm...I'll have to think on it a spell..

Wow! The most powerfull 22 in the world! Glad no one was hurt, altho they could have been!

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    (1) The slide is most surely not steel.

(2)The new guy was worried he had done something wrong.
    (1) It isn't. I kid you not, Superhouse, the slide and frame alloy that S&W/Walther uses is literally the same die-cast metal that Corgi cars are made of. If you have a part of the P22 left, put it in an oven at 325F for 1.5 hours (standard curing for most epoxy metal finishes), and see what happens. The frame won't crack for a fairly long time because of its greater mass, not its quality or metal- its the same as the slide. FYI- it will warp and bubble like a syphillitic beggar's nose.

To reiterate my statements regarding the P22, if S&W was more in-line, on price, with pistols of comparable design and materials (Phoenix Arms), I wouldn't have a problem. Unfortunately they bill this as something comparable to the Buckmark, Ruger MkII, or Sig Mosquito, which the P22 certainly is not. Many people love them- that's subjective; saying the P22 is good quality is objective.

If you have input- I would strongly recommend that they not be rented. You'll see this again. Shooting a few hundred rounds with your kid, each month seems to be fine; simply on the materials, it isn't a candidate for range-use.

(2) Clearly, he didn't.

Anyone know of any real steel aftermarket slides for the P22? I'd be interested in getting one.

edit; the OEM slide is made of a Metal Injection Molded zinc alloy.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    (1) It isn't. I kid you not, Superhouse, the slide and frame alloy that S&W/Walther uses is literally the same die-cast metal that Corgi cars are made of. If you have a part of the P22 left, put it in an oven at 325F for 1.5 hours (standard curing for most epoxy metal finishes), and see what happens. The frame won't crack for a fairly long time because of its greater mass, not its quality or metal- its the same as the slide. FYI- it will warp and bubble like a syphillitic beggar's nose.
    The P22 frame is polymer....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Mostly, yes, but there are some zinc alloy inserts in the frame assembly..
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

So, I guess now the P22 will build the next KaBOOM fad huh. You shouldn't buy a glock either, because those blow up all the time... [/sarcasm]
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... The answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."-- Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC.

"We didn't fight our way all the way to the top of the food chain to become vegetarians."-- Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links