I'm looking for a good deer rifle scope....

This is a discussion on I'm looking for a good deer rifle scope.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a remington 700 (I don't remember if its an ADL or BDL but I know its the fancier version) in 7mm Rem Mag. ...

Thread: I'm looking for a good deer rifle scope....

I have a remington 700 (I don't remember if its an ADL or BDL but I know its the fancier version) in 7mm Rem Mag. Right now it has something like a 4-24x50mm simmons. I'm looking for something a bit high quality and something with a smaller objective lens. Heres the catch, I only have about $200 to spend. So, I was looking at the Leopold Rifleman 3-9x40mm and then seen the Leupold VX-1 Scope 3-9x 40mm for about $20 more.

Two years a go I made a shot at about 250 yards and got the deer in the heart. I would have never taken that shot except for the fact that I had never held the rifle that steady in my life. My father in law and I argue about that shot, I say its closer to 200 yards, he swears its over 250 yards. Still, I know I'm capable of good shots and appearently the scope was good enough for the shot or maybe I was just lucky, I don't know. Still, I would like to have a higher quality scope for my pretty decent little deer rifle.

What do you guys think? What scope is the best for about the $200 price tag? I say about, I could up or down about $50.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I recommend the Nikon's in that pricerange

VIP Member
    The two Leupolds you mentioned are good in that range. The Nikon ProStaff series are also quality optics that won't demolish the wallet... The 3-9x40 Buckmaster from Nikon (http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-ri...rs-3-9x40.html) is right around the $200 mark as well.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

i use the Nikon Buckmaster and pro Staff myself i find the optics to be brighter than my leupold

And the nikon will hold up on a 7mm Mag ihave a pro staff on my 300 win mag and 7 mag and have shot quite a few rounds though them this year to see how they hold up

I use the Bushnell Elite 3200 and it is great. Mine is mounted on a Weatherby 7mm Rem Mag as well. The Nikons are nice as well, just got a little better deal on the Bushnell at the time.
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... The answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."-- Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC.

"We didn't fight our way all the way to the top of the food chain to become vegetarians."-- Unknown

So, you guys would take the Nikons and/or Bushnell over the similarly priced Leopolds?
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I too recommend the Nikon. They are very impressive.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    So, you guys would take the Nikons and/or Bushnell over the similarly priced Leopolds?
    Yup. I am not saying that the Leupolds aren't nice, but for 250 bucks, the Bushnell/Nikon is going to be nicer than the Leupold. IMO.
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... The answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."-- Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC.

"We didn't fight our way all the way to the top of the food chain to become vegetarians."-- Unknown

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I will go against the common grain here and recommend that you look at the scope you need to hit a 5" circle at your maximum range for hunting ( magnification ) . Then look at repeatability of adjustments ( click not friction ) . Then buy the cheapest scope you can that meets your requirements . I have personally had a half dozen cheap nc star scopes that have performed fine out to 600 yards ( about as far as i am willing to shoot anymore ) . The adjustments on the cheap scopes ( nc star , simmions , some weavers , ect ... ) seem to be as positive as the adjustments on better brands , you only suffer on the grind of the lenses. Honestly how many hours to you look thro a scope anyway ? . How critical is it to you to be able to shoot illegaly ( better light gathering ) ? Ill close saying that cheap optics are not near as good as high end optics , but for the shooting i do anymore ( shoot a coyoute at 600 or so ) they do fine , and i dont have to spend the price of a rifle for optics to go on it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    When I outfitted my spotters with optics (on pretty much stock M14s), we ended up with Leupold VX-1s in 2-7x. They were the right price, and perfectly suited to their role. They held up will through a year of climbing up and down horrifically rocky mountains, getting banged around in vehicles, and generally seeing a life-times worth of abuse in 12 months. You can't really go wrong with them, and they aren't insanely expensive.

I've never put a Nikon through that kind of workout, but they do have very nice optics for the money, and I doubt you'll punish your 700 like we punished our M14s.

Just to confuse you a little more...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member
    Burris fullfield---- buy it, use it, and like it.

Z

Administrator
    Nikon get my vote in that price range. If you can find a Pentax, they are not bad for what they are. I have one mounted on a 30-06 that has served me well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I've heard good things about the 3200, but I've heard alot of bad things about alot of their other stuff, and had some of them break on me. So if you go bushnell stay with the 3200 line.

Nikon's are great, they offer really good glass and positive scope adjustments, and if you dial up elevation they track well too. I've got top end scopes that are better (Zeiss) but to tell the truth, they aren't a whole lot better. If they were American made they'd be a slam dunk. But then again there aren't a whole lot of good scopes made in the USA.

Senior Moderator
    Another vote for the Nikon.

Some of the Nikon's actually have a higher rating in light gathering capabilities than the Leupold's.

I've got several of each. The differences in most scopes aren't apparent till around 400 yards. The cheap stuff will get you there, but a side by side comparison will have you abandoning it. Looking at a 10 inch target at say 400 yards with Nikon or A Leupold, and then looking at a Star,Bushnell,or some of the Chinese stuff out there under various names and the difference is very apparent.

For the money the Nikon's are hard to beat. They track well, they gather good light and they are reasonably durable...all in all great hunting scopes.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Take a look at the Yukon Sightmark. Really nice, great glass, $200. Even has lighted reticle! Edited to add, disregard; it has a 50 mm bell (8.5-25x50).
    Last edited by swiftyjuan; October 30th, 2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: To retract suggestion.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Links