Shot timer worthless at the range?

This is a discussion on Shot timer worthless at the range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been thinking about getting one but 2 things tell me it will probably be a waste of money: 1. Can't draw and fire at ...

I've been thinking about getting one but 2 things tell me it will probably be a waste of money:

1. Can't draw and fire at the ranges around here.

2. Probably worthless when everyone else is shooting, huh?

Am I right or wrong?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Even without the draw and fire, you could measure splits, but yeah, if other shooters are too close, it would probably go wacko trying to count fire from several lines.

Could check around for a USPSA/IDPA bunkered range you might be able to access when there isn't a match going.
    Last edited by 1911NM; October 30th, 2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: another thought.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

I've got two timers; they're a lot more useful than you may think. regarding your two considerations: 1) not every 'draw' must be from a holster. 2) on the typical multi-lane range, you probably need 4-5 lanes clear on either side.

Now the extras: a 'par' time capability allows you to dry-fire under pressure-including holster draws. A 'cadence' function helps in building smooth transitions-and reload speed. Programmable splits allows both. Some high-end timers also contain a chronograph-very useful in reloading. Most have a non-volatile memory--they hold info until you can download to a PC.

In the end it will come down to dedication and persistence-that has little to do with the timer.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I've been thinking about getting one but 2 things tell me it will probably be a waste of money:

1. Can't draw and fire at the ranges around here.

2. Probably worthless when everyone else is shooting, huh?

Am I right or wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jfdavis58 View Post

Now the extras: a 'par' time capability allows you to dry-fire under pressure-including holster draws.
    This sounds like a quite interesting feature. Then I can make a game out of practice drawing at home. Right now I get bored practicing real quick. No feedback, so I don't know if one draw is faster than the next.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

i dont think it would be worth the money to get one if your only shooting at a range where others are around

This sounds like a quite interesting feature. Then I can make a game out of practice drawing at home. Right now I get bored practicing real quick. No feedback, so I don't know if one draw is faster than the next.
    if you want this and have the extra $, get the basic beamhit kit with the in-barrel laser. You can set the target for par time. You can see if you can draw and hit target before par time goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by jfdavis58 View Post
    ...a 'par' time capability allows you to dry-fire under pressure-including holster draws...
    In addition to the other features already mentioned, the PAR timer can also be used at a crowded range. You won't get accurate draw/split times due to the competing noise, but you can set the PAR for your 'goal' time and play 'beat the clock'. If your shot breaks before the beep, you win

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

One useful 'PAR' drill would be to set the timer at 'par+10%', then par+5%, then par, then par-5%, par-10%. Take a 1.5 second draw to first shot. Times are 1.65, 1.575, 1.5, 1.1.425, 1.35. The drill would be 5 to 10 reps at each time. Obviously one should 'make' all the +times and the par. Interestingly, one will make some of both the -times after only a couple of sessions.

Something similar could be done with reloads.

One does need to know base par times-a trip to the range!

A shot timer will take 40% off your draw and reload times on the first night of dry fire. Do the par time drills as explained, it will work.

If you plan to shoot IDPA or USPSA in the future, you will want/need a shot timer for practice, period. Without it you are guessing.

No, shot timers are not worthless, they are essential evaluation gear and they will make you a better shooter. I suggest picking up Saul Kirsch' book "Perfect Practice" if you're getting bored with what you're doing now--square range, shooting for groups, right? Saul will have you shooting drills that will matter--target transitions, bill drills, drawing from odd positions, shooting around obstacles, movement, etc. You'll use it, and it virtually requires a shot timer.

One man's opinion,
    HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Thanks Guys, A new question though. How can it time me for draw and dry fire practice?

I use the CED7000 http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object700

It has dozens of features that I do not use, but the basics include a start 'beep' (draw and fire) and a stop 'beep'. You can set the interval for anything from 0.25 sec up to 10 sec (I think, I am going from memory here).

First beep is your signal to go and if you've drawn and fired (dry or not) before the the second beep you beat the "PAR".

Here are a set of exercises I use in the square box http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...0&page=0#39071

There are many others as well.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Links