Philadelphia Police Commissioner blaming "guns" for violence.

This is a discussion on Philadelphia Police Commissioner blaming "guns" for violence. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Johnson said the latest violence can directly be attributed to a gun problem within the city." The rise in violence apparently has nothing to do ...

Thread: Philadelphia Police Commissioner blaming "guns" for violence.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner blaming "guns" for violence.

"Johnson said the latest violence can directly be attributed to a gun problem within the city."

The rise in violence apparently has nothing to do with his inability to fight crime, it is all the guns fault.

Phila. Police Officer Critical After Shooting
    Slideshow: Images From The Scene
    Complete List Of Schools In Lock Down
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ― A massive manhunt is underway after a Philadelphia Police officer was shot during an apparent robbery in the West Oak Lane section of the city Wednesday. The officer was the third cop shot in four days in the City of Brotherly Love.

Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said Officer Charles Cassidy, a 25-year veteran of the force, was shot near 66th Avenue and Broad Street just before 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Johnson said the officer was making his rounds when he unknowingly walked into a robbery in progress at a Dunkin' Donuts.

The suspect shot the officer in the head, stealing his gun before fleeing the scene. The unidentified officer was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center in extremely critical condition.

Johnson said doctors were doing everything possible to help the officer, who was admitted into emergency surgery.

Chopper 3 was over the scene as dozens of officers searched for the suspect throughout the surrounding area and stormed a home in the 6800 block of N. 19th Street and the 7000 block of N. Broad Street.

According to CBS 3 Investigative Reporter Walt Hunter, the manhunt was the largest in the department's history.

Police are reviewing video which apparently caught the incident. Authorities plan to release an image of the suspect sometime Wednesday.

The suspect is described as a heavyset African American male in his 20s, approximately 5'11"- 6' tall, wearing a dark hoodie, tan khaki pants, black and white striped tan boots and has a tattoo of a spider on his left hand.

"He's extremely armed and dangerous and has no regard for human life at all," Johnson said.

Johnson said the wounded officer is married and has three children, one in high school, two in college. Mayor Street has joined family members at the hospital.

Officials said all schools in the Northwest section of the city have been locked down as police search for the suspect.

LaSalle University officials said the college has also been locked down and students have been asked to stay in their residences until further notice.

Click Here For A Complete List Of Schools In Lock Down

The incident happened less than 24 hours after an officer was shot in the shoulder while responding to a shooting in Center City Tuesday night. It marks the forth police officer shot in the city this year. Click here to read more...

Johnson said the latest violence can directly be attributed to a gun problem within the city.

"The availability of guns are really, completely out of hand here in the city of Philadelphia," Johnson said.

No arrests have been made in Wednesday's shooting. Stay tuned to CBS 3 and CBS3.com for the latest information on this breaking story.

http://cbs3.com/topstories/Philadelp....2.479216.html
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I'm extremely sorry that a LEO got injured. The cause is a gun problem agreed, it's a nice general term.

If Philly got rid of all the cars there would no longer be any car VS pedestrian accidents. Let's start a new movement to free the streets of those deadly cars.

When they finally catch the kid that shot the officer, do you think Johnson is going to admit that the gun was not legally purchased and no gun law could have prevented this. Probably not...

Administrator
    Man, as an LEO the very last place I want to get shot in is a Dunkin Donuts. If able, I think I would beg and plead with the media to just use the street address instead of the business name.

I hope the fat POS gets what he has coming to him too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yowza! I've been in that exact DD at least 2 dozen times.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Man, as an LEO the very last place I want to get shot in is a Dunkin Donuts. I think I would beg and plead with the media to just use the street address instead of the business name.
    sorry, I know this is not a funny story, but that's too good.

Seems like every time I see a piece of news coming out of Philly, it's always about their crime problem and blaming the people that didn't do it.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Man, as an LEO the very last place I want to get shot in is a Dunkin Donuts. If able, I think I would beg and plead with the media to just use the street address instead of the business name.

I hope the fat POS gets what he has coming to him too.
    Leave it to SIXTO to not only share his wealth of knowledge with us, but to also see a little humor in an otherwise sad situation.

My prayers go out to the wounded officer and his family.

I also hope the POS gets a generous helping of what he deserves.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Assistant Administrator
    Prayers for the wounded officer.

The availability of guns are really, completely out of hand here in the city of Philadelphia
    Let me re-write that sweeping statement ..........

"The preponderance of criminals (who will always aquire a gun, by any means) ...... is completely out of hand here in the city of Philadelphia. We have to crack down on these people with all the laws we have at our disposal."
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Who is STUPID enough to rob a Dunkin Doughnuts.... Might want to try the police station next!

Disclaimer:
    This post was not ment to profile any specific organazations that frequent this particular doughnut shop. No one was harmed in the posting of this post.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

I missed something here...the article said...

"He's extremely armed and dangerous and has no regard for human life at all," Johnson said.

What's "extremely armed"?

Other comments would include...blame the criminals not the guns...and...hope this guy becomes a 'lead magnent', soon!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Extremely armed probably means the perp is like many of the individuals on this forum - hes got a lot of guns.:) Reporters have a major failing in trying to get their points across - they do a lot of talking and very little thinking.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

We all know that blaming guns and passing a law to ban guns is much easier than to actually work to lower crime. Symbols are much easier for politicians to produce than Substance.

Doesn't Philly have some very strict gun laws already?

I believe I heard that the officer died. I am so sorry to hear that.

And yea.. the irony of the Donut shop location would be funny if this was not so tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Doesn't Philly have some very strict gun laws already?
    No. PA has had state-level pre-emption of gun laws since 1995. That's why I live there -- it's as Shall Issue as the rest of the state. No AWB, no mag limits, etc.

Actually, your statement is technically correct: if you look at the city laws that are available online, you'll see savagely restrictive AWB bans, limits on purchasing, registration, etc. Those laws exist on paper -- but state pre-emption over-rides them. So if state pre-emption went away, then that day all those anti-gun laws assert dominance.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Extremely armed probably means the perp is like many of the individuals on this forum - hes got a lot of guns.:) Reporters have a major failing in trying to get their points across - they do a lot of talking and very little thinking.
    Actually, "Extremely armed" just means that Sly Johnson is not the wordsmith that he thinks he is. He has joined the Mayor in blaming firearms for the actions of a sociopathic miscreant.

Silly truth: the violence is there. It's merely simpler with a gun. If no guns, then the violent will pick another weapon. But make no mistake. They will continue their violence, guns or not.

Simpler truth: the solution isn't in disarming the innocent, expedient as that may seem at first glance, viewed from the ivory tower.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links