Buddies transformation from no guns to "Gun Guy"

This is a discussion on Buddies transformation from no guns to "Gun Guy" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My best friend who I work with has started down the road to being a gun guy. He had an M-1 Carbine that his Dad ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddies transformation from no guns to "Gun Guy"

Buddies transformation from no guns to "Gun Guy"

My best friend who I work with has started down the road to being a gun guy. He had an M-1 Carbine that his Dad had given him but he hadn't shot much. His wife is not a fan of guns and he didn't think he was really either.

After 2 years of hearing me talk about guns and shooting with some of the other guys I work with (and a few of the women too) he decided he wants to buy his first handgun. He bought a Stoeger Cougar and we went shooting. He did good for a first timer and he had a very good time. I kind of thought he might be hooked and turns out he is. He has caught the gun bug.

He now has the Cougar, the M-1 Carbine and he told me today he has a list of the next 2 or 3 handguns he wants to buy. He says his wife has decided I am a very bad influence on him.

He has tried to get the wife to go shooting but so far it's a no go. He says wants to sign up to take the class to get his carry permit in a few weeks.

I'm happy to see him take the steps needed to protect his and his wifes lives even if she doesn't seem too happy about it right now. But, with time, she may come around like a lot of the members on here have had their wives see the light so to speak.

Until then, I am sure she will continue to think of me as the caveman he works with. That's OK with me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

It's natural for a man to want to protect his family and have the power (and responsibility) that comes along with a firearm.

VIP Member
    Good job Mike!...are you going to change your avatar to a Neanderthal?

VIP Member
    Good for him.

If they break up, don't blame yourself, it probably was going to happen anyway. IMO, he's been a patient guy over 14 years, SHE needs to develop some patience herself.

I'd wear that "Caveman" label proudly too.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Hey caveman I don't work with,

Good job.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

I love it! Oppressed man gets backbone. Tells wife NO.
    When DH mentions buying a gun, I practically push him out the door on his way to buy it. It's a beautiful thing when a couple both enjoy shooting.

Senior Moderator
    From on Cave Man to another, Way to Go!
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

If they break up, don't blame yourself, it probably was going to happen anyway. :
    I'm betting he's had a fair bit of anger simmering on the back burner all this time.

I have a friend with a similar story. I was heading to the range and my nextdoor neighbor asked me what I was loading in the car. I told him that it was my hunting rifle and that I was headed to the range. He had nothing else to do and came along to see what it was all about. He was raised in a home with no firearms. His parents weren't against firearms or anything like that but they just felt they had no reason to own one. That was about a year and a half ago. He now owns an AR-15, a Marlin 336, a Mossberg 500, a Ruger 10-22, a Marlin 981T, a Colt 1903 pocket hammerless in .32acp and he has a Remington 700 SPS on the way.

Luckily, he isn't married to a wench... lol
    Last edited by HeadHunterII; November 1st, 2007 at 10:54 AM. Reason: addition
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... The answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."-- Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC.

"We didn't fight our way all the way to the top of the food chain to become vegetarians."-- Unknown

Great job, Mike....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Let's see........(1) Cave Man (2) Works in television (3) Must be one of those Geico guys I've been seeing
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Oogah!!

Mike Good!!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

.....................Sweet!
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    HAHA maybe i'm dumb but I fail to see how 'cavemen' and 'guns' relate....cavemen had guns!?!?!?!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Kudos to you Cave Man!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links